Common things to look for when Purchasing 98 SVT Cobra?

mtilly

First post!

Anyways, I'm about to drive a ways to look at a clean 98 Cobra with 46,xxx miles. Not being too knowledgeable with SN95s (S197 owner), I would like to ask for anyone's advice on things to look for/test/etc. when I go to look at the car that may be common/more serious issues down the road. I've done a bit of research but am looking for any other pointers.

Thanks in advance for any info! Ready to join the SVT family! :rockon:

98BABCobra

Established Member
Definitely the usual things when looking at any car: any leaks, any unusual noises vibrations or shakes when driving, difficulty shifting or getting it into gear from a stop, listen for any ticking in the engine, rough idle, any discoloration of exhaust (white, blue, black smoke)

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Check to see all of the bulbs light up. Some people pull the check engine bulb. It's not a bad idea to read DTCs even if the CEL bulb is in place.

Check for crunching with a fast shift from first to second at higher RPMs. The shift forks are weak in the T45 and get bent easily. This will mean an immediate rebuild or new transmission.

SinisterMustang

Established Member
As mentioned above, check for the trans for abuse. T45s don't react well to gear banging 1st to 2nd. Listen for head ticks under the hood, and suspension clanks or vibrations. There shouldn't be ANY at 46k miles unless its been abused.

Fox 5.0

Established Member
I'm not an expert when it comes to the modular stangs, but from my personal experience when I bought my 1998 with 67k miles (Jan 2012) these are the problems that have come up since (now with 85k miles):

- Basically entire A/C system needed replacing
- Steering rack crapped out on me
- Bad axle bearing on drivers side
- Pinion seal leaked

Wear and Tear items:
- All new brakes
- Serpentine belt
- Tires
- Fuel Filter

So, nothing major (I was pissed about the A/C though). Taken care of, these cars seem to be pretty reliable. Just make sure the PO was diligent on oil changes and stuff. Thats pretty low mileage so I couldn't imagine much wrong with it. Check the leather too... don't want some dried out/cracked seats.

camaroguy72

I just bought a 98 a week ago. a couple days later the rear end started whining and cover removal shows the posi and gears are damaged and needing replacing. $2k or so going to be added to the car bill.. fun fun.

Users who are viewing this thread