Cold testing - Amsoil Signature 5W-20 vs. Motorcraft 5W-20

grnenvy

Established Member
I don't know I'm still not a fan of the Big dollar oils. IF I do decide to switch over to synthetic I'll buy the least expensive possible unless I decide to do 10,000 mile oil changes which IMOP would make it worth it. Sure the Big dollar oil can go 15k from what I have read but I don't think the oil filter can keep up. For best results the filter should be changed at 5k. Hmm that seems like a PITA to me.
5w-20 is ok with the factory 5.0 pistons but aftermarket forged pistons don't like that thin stuff they rattle to much.
I'm running 10w-30 conventional Valvoline in my new motor.

Also I don't know a race motor that lasts for more then 20-30k without needing a rebuild or the guy blowing it up. Seems like a lot of money to spend considering the motors usually go bad do to other reasons. Hmm like 90% of the motors on this site detonate apart before there 3rd oil change.
I think the Big dollar oil is better off in an every day commuter that's trying to get 200,000 miles out of it rather then a race car.

Last edited:

dead man walkin

Established Member
Oh see now I believe mastwolf. I bet the funnel of the Ford one is rigged , and half Closed... now I'm starting to think the motor craft might have been the faster flowing one... hmmmm. What about the esters causing seal over swelling and the esters competing with the additives in the oil and accelerating soft metal bearing wear...

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
I'm sure its good oil . But I'll stick to my other oils for the price. I've seen too many 300000 mile cars that only had non-synthetic their whole life and they're just fine.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Would be interesting to see them poured from the same type of container. The Amsoil flows out of the bottle much faster due to the bigger opening in the bottle.

im with you on this. the test makes no sense. 2 different bottles pouring out mean nothing.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I don't know I'm still not a fan of the Big dollar oils. IF I do decide to switch over to synthetic I'll buy the least expensive possible unless I decide to do 10,000 mile oil changes which IMOP would make it worth it. Sure the Big dollar oil can go 15k from what I have read but I don't think the oil filter can keep up. For best results the filter should be changed at 5k. Hmm that seems like a PITA to me.
5w-20 is ok with the factory 5.0 pistons but aftermarket forged pistons don't like that thin stuff they rattle to much.
I'm running 10w-30 conventional Valvoline in my new motor.

Also I don't know a race motor that lasts for more then 20-30k without needing a rebuild or the guy blowing it up. Seems like a lot of money to spend considering the motors usually go bad do to other reasons. Hmm like 90% of the motors on this site detonate apart before there 3rd oil change.
I think the Big dollar oil is better off in an every day commuter that's trying to get 200,000 miles out of it rather then a race car.

you are right. the filters cant keep up with 10k mile oil changes, but the oil can. really if you change the filter at 3-5k you could run the oil fine to 10-15k fine with no issues. using your off the shelf oils like mobil 1 EP, Castrol Edge EP, Pensoil Ultra, ect

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
im with you on this. the test makes no sense. 2 different bottles pouring out mean nothing.

Allen did you see the other link? The bottle makes no difference.

I run amsoil and I like it, when you have a semi expensive car and beat the crap out of it why wouldn't you spend a little extra and just get some good oil.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Fellas, there is more to better oil than oil change interval alone. How are some of you guys so brainwashed by big oil, you still think in terms of 3,000 to 5,000 miles? Astonishing!

Also, a "race" engine can last a lot longer than stated earlier in this thread. It's all about proper care, proper assembly, and proper maintenance.

So when should i change the amsoil filter

Once a year, or every 15,000 miles works for me. Most people will change it with every oil change. I do, but I only change the oil in my cars once a year. That's about 11-12k miles for me.

Last edited:

mr2cam

Established Member
We use Amsoil at my shop, it is the best by far.. I have used just about every oil known, and Amsoil still outperforms it every day. We suggest our customers to do their oil changes like this, at 6,000 / 6 month we suggest they drop the filter and replace it, and only fill up what we lost in the filter (avg of 1qt). Then we have them go another 6,000 / 6 months and change the oil completely out, now this is VERY conservative. I do my civic 1 year / 24,000 miles, but I drop the filter at 6 months / 12,000 and then go another 6 months

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Allen did you see the other link? The bottle makes no difference.

I run amsoil and I like it, when you have a semi expensive car and beat the crap out of it why wouldn't you spend a little extra and just get some good oil.

I now just did. That second link makes more sense. But the 1st carries no weight for me. I do like amsoil. I have been a big fan of there tranny fluid in the manual cars. they make good motor oil too my only Issue is that for my personal use It cost more than what I can buy over the counter.

dead man walkin

Established Member
Thank you unleashed, for all the information, I give you a hard time and play devils advocate because someone has to right? In all honesty I prefer red line or royal purple. But amsoil is good stuff too

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Here is a test of Mobil 1's best formulation "Extended Performance" 5W-30 vs. Amsoil Signature 5W-30. This was a much closer race, however, you can see Amsoil still has the advantage with their PAO\Ester formulation, as it offers the best cold flow performance in the industry.

Please note, a hole was drilled into the top of both bottles for better air flow that would allow for a better pour. Also note both bottles have a wide neck.

[youtube_browser]fJyfRGljTRI[/youtube_browser]

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Here is a test of Mobil 1's best formulation "Extended Performance" 5W-30 vs. Amsoil Signature 5W-30. This was a much closer race, however, you can see Amsoil still has the advantage with their PAO\Ester formulation, as it offers the best cold flow performance in the industry.

Please note, a hole was drilled into the top of both bottles for better air flow that would allow for a better pour. Also note both bottles have a wide neck.

Amsoil looks to be the clear winner in the Low temp pouring race.

Taderzngravy

Established Member
Not to stir the pot, but how does Royal purple stack up in all of this?

I plan on ordering everything from amsoil to do a full fluid swap in both cars soon, but I figured I would ask

Torchy

Established Member
UB single handedly converted me from Royal Purple for life to Amsoil for LIFE. And he did it through data of UOA's vs all the competition.

UOA=fact I don't understand how one could refute this.

TT 2013 coyote DD here and I will change my oil every 10,000-15,000 miles or 1 year, whatever comes first. I'm at 9-10 months and about 6,000 on my current oil with amsoil filter.

I like this test too.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
UB single handedly converted me from Royal Purple for life to Amsoil for LIFE. And he did it through data of UOA's vs all the competition.

UOA=fact I don't understand how one could refute this.

TT 2013 coyote DD here and I will change my oil every 10,000-15,000 miles or 1 year, whatever comes first. I'm at 9-10 months and about 6,000 on my current oil with amsoil filter.

I like this test too.

Thank you sir.

I'd love to have your UOA on your next oil change interval.

Users who are viewing this thread