Cold testing - Amsoil Signature 5W-20 vs. Motorcraft 5W-20

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Here is Motorcraft 5W-20 vs. Amsoil Signature 5W-20

Simply no comparison

[youtube_browser]KaKMuTLfCeo[/youtube_browser]

Some of you say, "It doesn't get that cold here, so it's not that big of deal." *Please note, this test was at 15*F

Incorrect, it is that big of deal. When your engine is cold, no matter the temperature, Amsoil is always going to be less viscous (easier flowing, better protection). You've all heard the claims from big oil companies about "better/best cold start protection". Well, I'm here to tell you it's not the best possible and was all marketing bullsnot! After watching this video, which lubricant do YOU think will better protect the engine on initial cold start up? I already know the answer to this. The "ketchup sqeezing" method had to be used on Motorcraft for improving flow.

See all cold testing in the greasy spoon section.

LINK

Last edited:

dead man walkin

Established Member
This test is kinda bias.. A $10.00 a bottle full synthetic vs a $2.00 a bottle semi synthetic? Ford does make a full synthetic, I wonder why that wasn't shown? Now granted the video shows the amsoil does flow faster, but you said which protects better? You know better than most people you can't say that, better protection isn't based on cold flow alone. And why does the amsoil look dark like it's already got a few thousand miles on it? Based on this video alone I'd say the motor craft is a more refined and cleaner oil. I mean If we are just going on looks alone?? Maybe.. In cold weather the motor craft clings to the metal better leaving a thin film of oil, where as the amsoil has to circulate thru the system because it flows so much better????

I'm just playing devils advocate here..

Last edited:

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Would be interesting to see them poured from the same type of container. The Amsoil flows out of the bottle much faster due to the bigger opening in the bottle.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
This test is kinda bias.. A $10.00 a bottle full synthetic vs a $2.00 a bottle semi synthetic? Ford does make a full synthetic, I wonder why that wasn't shown? Now granted the video shows the amsoil does flow faster, but you said which protects better? You know better than most people you can't say that, better protection isn't based on cold flow alone. And why does the amsoil look dark like it's already got a few thousand miles on it? Based on this video alone I'd say the motor craft is a more refined and cleaner oil. I mean If we are just going on looks alone?? Maybe.. In cold weather the motor craft clings to the metal better leaving a thin film of oil, where as the amsoil has to circulate thru the system because it flows so much better????

I'm just playing devils advocate here..

Amsoil Signature is $7.85 per bottle if you are a preferred cusstomer. Motorcraft 5W-20 Semi-syn is $4.37 per quart, when purchased induvidually. The 5 quart jug is about $18.00, reducing the price to ~$3.60 per quart.

Motorcraft Semi-Syn blend is the most common used, when compared to their full syn version. Even the full syn version of MC is cheap hydrocracked petroleum, not a true synthetic PAO\Ester formulation. Look for a new test of Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 and Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 vs. Amsoil Signature 5W-30 in a day or so. Since Mobil 1 is also "Visom" hydrocracked, you can compare them head to head.

Both lubricants were brand new in the bottle. You can hear the seals break on the bottles when Jody (ShadyNinja) opened them. Amsoil is naturally a dark amber color in virgin form. Motorcraft is a lighter golden color. That being said, used oil was not tested here. Assuming Motorcraft is more refined due to color is ludicrous. I assure you, despite your assumption of transparency, Motorcraft has far more contaminants in the formulation than Amsoil Signature.

Motorcraft will not "cling" to metal parts better than Amsoil, since it contains no ester base oils (group V). Ester base oils give the formulation "clinging" properties. Amsoil signature does contains percentages of Ester base oils to achieve such results, and one reason why people report a quieter engine when using them. When you stop your engine, motorcraft will completely flow back to the oil pan, with the exception of pooling due to gravity.

Would be interesting to see them poured from the same type of container. The Amsoil flows out of the bottle much faster due to the bigger opening in the bottle.

This was also debunked in another video, which can be found here.

LINK

Jody put Amsoil 15W-40 diesel oil into an old Pennzoil bottle, yet the results were the same. Therefore, the "bottle neck size advantage" therory was debunked.

You really need to think deeper into this. What about how long the cheaper lubricant took to clear the funnel completely? You could have a custom funnel setup, trapping both oil from escaping until both funnels were full, then open the bottom trap door. Amsoil would still win by a long shot.

Exactly what I was thinking...

You've been answered above.

As Eddie would say, BINGO.

No money for you today, bad day at the "BINGO" hall.

Last edited:

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Debunked?

I think you took what I said wrong. If your gonna post some tests and video might wanna make everything as level of a playing field as possible.

Do you have any video or tests using a ford syn oil?

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
Amsoil is truely badass shit!

only other oil id put it up against or arguable better is motul. But motul doesnt have the EDI, and is more expensive

Jbstang87

Established Member
so if I fill with 10w30 signature series, how long until the next oil change. I drive a tune exhaust 2012, in warm weather year round

mechanicboy

Established Member
If its that much thinner at cold temps, how much thinner is it at 210*F? This doesn't make me want amsoil one bit, in fact, with a blower it scares me a little bit away from it. Do a test at 210 and come back.

What I'm really taking away from this is that I'm in the right to warm up my engine and to baby the engine when cold, which I already knew was good for it anyway.

techwerkz

Established Member
As an Amsoil dealer these tests are kind of eh... you're testing bottom barrel brands vs a good synthetic.

As you said, the flow through the funnel is key, but instead of dumping the oil and letting it lug out due to air bubbles in the cheaper oil, why not pour it slower so the air can escape letting it fill the funnel faster? Build that funnel device, gather some of the real Amsoil competition, Penz Plat, RP, M1, Motul, Redline, and Ford's Syn Motorcraft. Then retest.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
If its that much thinner at cold temps, how much thinner is it at 210*F? This doesn't make me want amsoil one bit, in fact, with a blower it scares me a little bit away from it. Do a test at 210 and come back.

What I'm really taking away from this is that I'm in the right to warm up my engine and to baby the engine when cold, which I already knew was good for it anyway.
Just because it has a low cold viscosity doesn't mean the viscosity decreases more once it warms up.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Do you have any video or tests using a ford syn oil?

There are comparison vids coming with Mobil 1 EP and Pennzoil Ultra vs. Amsoil Signature.

Top tier synthetics thicken less as they cool, meaning they are still the correct viscosity at engine operating temperatures. Your fears are unwarranted because you are assuming that since it's less viscous at 15*F it will also be less viscous at 212*F, which of course is untrue.

If you baby the engine, or not, you are still starving it for oil in the upper passages on cold start ups during severe weather as we have seen this week in the United States. While other cars in the parking lots were "lugging" on first startup after work, my Mustang started like a top.

Just because it has a low cold viscosity doesn't mean the viscosity decreases more once it warms up.

It thickens less, achieving its "hot viscosity" faster than cheaper lubricants, but are not less viscous at the same hot temps. Think of it as a lesser curve in a comparison graph, with both lubricant ending up at the same hot viscosity.

8-10k easy

pretty sure UB will say the same

10,000 miles with Amsoil Signature in an 8 quart sump is easy. Heck, cheap motorcraft's additive package can do that. Amsoil Signature in this car can be used up to 15,000 miles or 1 year, whichever occur first.

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Amsoils website mentions 25k or 1 year, but I still like to shorten the intervals. Hell, they say the Ford semi-syn is good for 10k in our cars, but no way in hell will I go back 6k. Just don't like the risk, even if it's low.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Amsoils website mentions 25k or 1 year, but I still like to shorten the intervals. Hell, they say the Ford semi-syn is good for 10k in our cars, but no way in hell will I go back 6k. Just don't like the risk, even if it's low.

That's Amsoil's normal service interval, meaning someone who can drive that far in 1 year is always on the interstate traveling. Of course their car would be normal service.

For someone who drives in the city, stop and go, supercharged, Turbo, etc. Stick with their severe service interval of 15,000 miles or one year. That's when it's time to change Signature in most applications.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
That's Amsoil's normal service interval, meaning someone who can drive that far in 1 year is always on the interstate traveling. Of course their car would be normal service.

For someone who drives in the city, stop and go, supercharged, Turbo, etc. Stick with their severe service interval of 15,000 miles or one year. That's when it's time to change Signature in most applications.
Awesome. Thanks, UB. That means a little more than 7 month intervals for me. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread