Cold air intakes for 2012 GT

JimD

Established Member
New to the site but have been on BuckeyeStangs for a while. I bought a 2012 Premium GT loaded in August of 2012 and have put stripes on it, louvers and Roush axle backs. I am looking to put a cold air system on it but want something that looks great. From what I understand the cold air intakes really do not add much as far as performance goes on thre new 5.0's but I like the look. Suggestions with pics. Great to be back into it.....the last 5.0 I had was a new 1992 LX that was Calypso Green. Before that I had 1 1983 GT, 2 1982 GT's and a 1970 Mach 1 428SCJ. Love reading from all. Thanks for your help.:coolman:

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Don't waste your time and money. The gains you see advertised from intake/ tune combos is all from the tune.

stang8psi

Established Member
well for what it's worth, I have the roush intake now I got it for free... so no money wasted! Now I didn't dyno but did run the car before intake and tune and ran a 12.6 @ 113 with factory 3.73's and on 93 octane. I than put the (free) intake on (which basically is just an open filter on stock piping but does have the cold air port) And installed the Lund tune and have been on the edge of 11's @ 119-118. Now I believe it has nothing to do with the intake and is all in the tune but just my .02. So if you need an intake and have to have one well It's the cheapest one of them Again this is if you need to have it..

JimD

Established Member
Thanks to all. I have not really seen any on the 5.0's so that was why I was asking. I think I will either go with none or possibly the JLT bdy color match.

kosovobandit

Established Member
Look at the airraid. You can use it with either the stock tune or take out the tube and tune it. The fit and finish is great. It also uses the stock air sciip in the grill.

REPCobra10

Established Member
Here is my Steeda intake on my 2012 GT...

006-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

It really is a good looking intake for these cars...

REPCobra10

Established Member
Looks great!

The Steeda piece is a very nice CAI! As said above, most of the gains are had from the tune, however, I'm like you and I like the look of a nice CAI under the hood instead of the boring and ugly black box from the factory!

Last edited:

pohnjarker

Established Member
Don't waste your time and money. The gains you see advertised from intake/ tune combos is all from the tune.

this...ive ran the JLT carbon fiber intake on the track, then took it off and installed the stock box and i ran the same times...no need for an aftermarket intake IMO

ETA: i have an AED tune for the JLT intake and an AED tune for the stock box.

Last edited:

twistedneck

Established Member
Well one thing is for sure the engines need more fuel when you put a cai on. even if you retune for the new larger MAF, the huge air coming in will blow up the fuel trims trying to compensate and you will get a lean engine light. so maybe the gains are minimal since we have such a good stock airbox, but they are real and a racer boy would not be complete w/o one!

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
Intake definitely makes a difference!! My buddy has a 2013 boss and is aed tuned. He had stock box and o/r xpipe and I would pull 1-1.5 cars on a roll run from 40. He got the jlt installed with a new tune from aed, now we r dead even and he pulls me up top. So from my experience definitely makes a difference.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Intake definitely makes a difference!! My buddy has a 2013 boss and is aed tuned. He had stock box and o/r xpipe and I would pull 1-1.5 cars on a roll run from 40. He got the jlt installed with a new tune from aed, now we r dead even and he pulls me up top. So from my experience definitely makes a difference.

that's called driver mod! it takes at least 50 hp to make a difference in similar cars

Users who are viewing this thread