Cold air intake?

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
true cold air is hard as hell to get to the filter to clean
i have had both and i liked the in fender cold air one better than the ram air style but like i said its a pain. get the ram air one with the surrounding box thing

97_TXCobra

Established Member
I agree....I've had both and while I did like the filter in the fender wall it was a PITA to clean and I was always very worried about water...the one I have now is a JLT ram air style and it takes a lot less time to mess with..but that's just my .02 cents

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
I agree....I've had both and while I did like the filter in the fender wall it was a PITA to clean and I was always very worried about water...the one I have now is a JLT ram air style and it takes a lot less time to mess with..but that's just my .02 cents

i switched my filter over to the ram air style and then drove thru a monsoon lol i was happy i changed it because i had the in fender where it sat right above the bottom of the bumper and it sucked in alot of water. that made me worry alot but i think the one where it just sits inside your fender at the very top is better

mustang3X

Established Member
Unless you are doing it for looks a cai is a waste of money on these cars.

Despite the hype the stock intake is more than adequate for the engines air requirements.

A high flow filter is all you need.

wvragtop

SPRAYING CHEATER SVT POST
Established Member
this what i have heard before that to just remove the rubber snorkle from filter box and add hiflow filter .but i wasnt sure if this was correct or not.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Neither will provide a huge improvement over stock (maybe noticeable at best) and the difference between the two JLT's will be even less. The deciding factor for you should be the cost, hassle, and look.

IMO a ram air intake looks better and it is definitely easier to clean/maintain.

Kiohtee

Established Member
i mean this car isnt my daily...so cleaning it would still be a must? literally putting on 600 miles a year

Then the cleaning and maintenance of it doesn't apply as much to you. And since you're only driving it about 600 miles a year I'll assume it doesn't see the kind of weather that could damage your engine if sucked through. With all that said I'd probably get the fender well, or true cold air intake JLT.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Another thing to consider. If your in an Area the rains alot it could be a problem. Water getting ont he MAF will cause stalling problems, and if you hit a deep enough puddle it can and will suck up enough to lock your motor. I know because it happened to me. Granted I had an s-trim on the car but I will never take the chance with a cold air intake again.

97_TXCobra

Established Member
100% Agreed

Another thing to consider. If your in an Area the rains alot it could be a problem. Water getting ont he MAF will cause stalling problems, and if you hit a deep enough puddle it can and will suck up enough to lock your motor. I know because it happened to me. Granted I had an s-trim on the car but I will never take the chance with a cold air intake again.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
what do you mean non issue? people say it happens and thats what i wouldnt want to happen lol

The filter is located well in front of the tire and on the opposite side of the inner fenderwell. If someones tire is touching the filter they must have hit a truck head-on.

The CAIs and RAIs are a waste of money on a stock, n/a longblock with a stock MAF. The stock intake tube flows more air than the MAF and therefore will support as much power as the MAF can tolerate.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread