Cold-Air Intake Filter

93VORTECH

Established Member
I wanna change out my air filter and want some input. I currently have the JLT in the fender CAI. The filter is a few years old and I don't wanna wash it, clean it, oil it. Just wanna buy a new one. Which filter do you guys recommend? DRY or OILED?? And why? Thanks

MG0h3

Established Member
Should have a K&N and they have to be oiled to work properly. Its pretty easy to clean. Just dont use compressed air. New filter is probably like $50 I would think.

As far as why, the actual filter element flows much better than a dense paper filter. To make up for the light/thin element they use oil to capture more dust/debris etc. At least I think thats what I read 20 yrs ago when I bought my first one!!

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
JLT sells new S&B filters. As far as oiled or not your going to get a lot of different opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

93VORTECH

Established Member
Yea honestly the filter is banged up from the previous owner so I don't even wanna deal with it. I know they are easy to clean and oil etc. I've cleaned many. But I'm just wondering which filter you guys recommend and DRY or OILED. For years I've ran the Oiled K&N set ups on my trucks and never had an issue. But I've also heard so many Pro's and Con's to DRY vs. OILED. So just looking for some opinions. Thanks guys

cj428mach

Established Member
Oiled can help cover the MAF wires and can cause low readings. A low MAF reading is going to equal lean.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Oiled can help cover the MAF wires and can cause low readings. A low MAF reading is going to equal lean.
If I remember right, that happens more when you over saturate a filter with oil after cleaning it. Using oil sparingly should cause an issue with the MAF wires. A brand new K&N oiled filter shouldn't coat the wires, either.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Non oiled amsoil filter here...cleaned with compressed air. On for years now....even with rose colored glasses I say A-OK. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread