Coilovers

fast4v

Established Member
Hello Everyone,
Have my 2012 5.0 on order and thinking about putting Adj coilovers on it. Has anyone installed coilovers on their 2011-2012 mustang and do you have any suggestions on a particular brand or set to use? The car will be a street driven car and will most likely not see any track time. I just like the thought of having an adjustable suspension that I can change to my liking.

Thanks Joe

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
For a street car I'd suggest you just stick with a kit with adjustable struts like the one from FRPP. A coilover suspension would be overkill.

fast4v

Established Member
Anyone use BC racing coilovers? Checked the web site today seems to be a nice set up and good price.

grnenvy

Established Member
I had the best coil over setup and K member in my 03 COBRA (Tokico adj ect) and I would never put coil over's in a street car again. Nor would I install any of that light weight front end shit on a street car. IT ALL MAKES WAY TO MUCH NOISE AND CREEKS!! Plus it bottoms out and never rides like the factory parts. There's always something thats anoying it's just not worth it. But you will hear from people that there shit is perfect but they need hearing aids!!! Good Luck

Coyote 5.0

Member BED Racing
Established Member
I had the best coil over setup and K member in my 03 COBRA (Tokico adj ect) and I would never put coil over's in a street car again. Nor would I install any of that light weight front end shit on a street car. IT ALL MAKES WAY TO MUCH NOISE AND CREEKS!! Plus it bottoms out and never rides like the factory parts. There's always something thats anoying it's just not worth it. But you will hear from people that there shit is perfect but they need hearing aids!!! Good Luck

Great advice unless your intentions is to turn your 2012 into a track car.

whitemustang

Follow the lines
Established Member
Like the other guys said I wouldn't recommend coil overs for street car. I did for my old fox body and it was noisey . For new 5.0 I put a lot time looking into suspension. If going with coil over go with KW 3 . You want quality and you will be rewarded with a good ride and performance. Griggs is good but to much full race. Eibach should work well to but I like a better performance shock. I was going get the KW3 but Steeda sport springs and Koni sport does 95% what KW3 does and your saving more then half on the koni/steeda. Problem Koni front Struts been on back order for 6 months I got tired of waiting. Had use Tokico d-spec and steeda sport springs. The Tokico d spec is better then I thought. Very good on the road and performance better at the track too. Koni is better quality made shock but Tokico d-spec fitts the bill if you can't get Koni sport.

corruptor

Established Member
Contact Sam Strano at stranoparts.com for suspension advice. If you plan on tracking the car A LOT, then KW V3 may make sense. They don't make sense for a daily driven car unless you like to jiggle around over even the most minor bumps.

I would recommend you go with Koni adjustables, or Tokico DSpecs if you want something more hardcore. If you want to lower it, then you have a multitude of lowering spring options depending on whether you want progressive or linear.

Reno Five-O

Established Member
My buddy used to have the 1.5" lowering springs from FRRP he didn't like the stance so he switched over to the BC Racing Coilovers and loves them. I have his lowering springs now since that's plenty of low for me for now. I was just riding around with him in his stang last night and it's a tad bit ruffer of a ride with the coilovers but it handles like a champ especially with his 2.8l kenne bell mammoth pushing 10psi. I'm currently in the Ft. Campbell, KY area and it sucks because for some reason every driveway/entryway to any type of establishment has a ridiculous lip, I'm waiting to see how things are in TX here in a few weeks when I move to see if I'm gonna stay with the lowering springs or switch over to coilovers.

fast4v

Established Member
Thanks for the respond guys. Going to do a little more research and make a decision by the end of next week. Thanks for the advice

jbur074

Established Member
Anyone use BC racing coilovers? Checked the web site today seems to be a nice set up and good price.

i ran BC racing coilovers on my evo, i absoloutly loved them. if your not going to track it, dont waste your money on the expensive nice coilovers like the KWs or griggs, BC racing is awesome, they ride nice, i will be buying a set way later down the road when my shocks blow from my springs. alot of redline time attack guys actually run BC coilovers. i say go with them. i love them

fast4v

Established Member
i ran BC racing coilovers on my evo, i absoloutly loved them. if your not going to track it, dont waste your money on the expensive nice coilovers like the KWs or griggs, BC racing is awesome, they ride nice, i will be buying a set way later down the road when my shocks blow from my springs. alot of redline time attack guys actually run BC coilovers. i say go with them. i love them

Hey Josh
Do u know if I would need to upgrade to the gt500 strut mounts with the BC coilovers. I know LMR recommends upgraded struts for the eibach coilovers

Thanks

hireman

Established Member
Contact Sam Strano at stranoparts.com for suspension advice. If you plan on tracking the car A LOT, then KW V3 may make sense. They don't make sense for a daily driven car unless you like to jiggle around over even the most minor bumps.

I would recommend you go with Koni adjustables, or Tokico DSpecs if you want something more hardcore. If you want to lower it, then you have a multitude of lowering spring options depending on whether you want progressive or linear.

corruptor...if one where to go with the tokico d spec's what spring would you reccommend to get the car low...I was considering sportlines or H&R ss????

Users who are viewing this thread