Coilover with unbearable harshness

03' White Snake

Established Member
03WhiteSnake,
When you say to use the tapered one, not the flat one, are you referring to the upper strut mount bushings?

On the stock strut mount, there are two rubber bushings. One on top that is tapered (has a conical washer that is held down by the strut nut), and one on the bottom that is flat (where the strut makes contact with the lower strut mount plate).

I am assuming from your picture that you utilized the upper, tapered, bushing as your bump stop on your coilover kit?

Correct. Exactly what I did. Mine are not rubber tho, they are poly. Was night and day difference after adding these.

2003oxfordCobra

Established Member
So just to give an update, i took the coilovers out and inspected them. The passenger's side was good, no issues with hitting the top of the strut mount. The driver's side had a slight mark on the top of the upper spring hat were it must have made contact with the CC plate. The mark was not very deep, maybe a millimeter deep. I don't think this small of a contact patch would equate to the amount of noise i heard from both the passenger and driver's side.

Anyway, long story short, i took out the coilovers, CC plates, and tubular A-arms and replaced them with all stock components along with H&R SS springs and stock Bilstiens. The ride quality is back in my cobra and couldn't be happier. Lol

With the stock upper strut mount pushed all the way to the out-board location (nearest the fender), i was able to get down to -0.20 degrees of camber. Which is probably best for me as im not racing or driving it hard. Toe now set to zero as well.

Users who are viewing this thread