Codes after flash

Perko

Established Member
Recent new to me 08 GT500 with a rich dyno tune per prev owner. Drove the car Friday after clutch install and car ran fine. Cleaned it up Saturday and installed a Bama tune with a Rev-X I bought from AM. Drove it for the first time today and seemed normal at start up and down my drive. Went a couple miles slow (foggy and dark) and upon acceleration from a stop was very rough and missing. Got to work and read the codes. P0171/P0301/P0316/P1000 stored. I flashed to the 91 (I'm running 93) tune, still missing, flashed to the Bama stock tune and still missing. I have a Steeda cai and pulley and 275/40/19 rear tires other wise I'm stock.

I did wash the engine and rinse the engine with a light spray and used my blower to dry it.

Pulling my hair here.

SS

Zemedici

Established Member
Recent new to me 08 GT500 with a rich dyno tune per prev owner. Drove the car Friday after clutch install and car ran fine. Cleaned it up Saturday and installed a Bama tune with a Rev-X I bought from AM. Drove it for the first time today and seemed normal at start up and down my drive. Went a couple miles slow (foggy and dark) and upon acceleration from a stop was very rough and missing. Got to work and read the codes. P0171/P0301/P0316/P1000 stored. I flashed to the 91 (I'm running 93) tune, still missing, flashed to the Bama stock tune and still missing. I have a Steeda cai and pulley and 275/40/19 rear tires other wise I'm stock.

I did wash the engine and rinse the engine with a light spray and used my blower to dry it.

Pulling my hair here.

SS

misfire could be from washing the engine....I would not recommend that, could be wet still.

Leave car outside with hood up to dry out completely.

Get tune from reputable tuner, AM's tuning is meh at best. The car will NOT pass EMI with that tune file.

Car's cats are working? Reason I ask is 171 / 301 are lean / cat codes.

Perko

Established Member
I thought that maybe the case also. I was careful (my bikes are touchy when washed) and it was warm here. I can't coment on the cats but 171 is bank 1 lean and 301 is a random misfire ...... 316 is a misfire detected in the 1st 1,000 revolutions which could be related to the 301 or a crank sensor from my research.

SS

Sielmo

Established Member
So in summary, Bank#1 is too lean (passenger side) with cylinder #1 misfire (also passenger side).

Water under the coil pack cover? The PCM, if I recall, is closest in location to cylinder #1. Wet harness that connects to the PCM?

Agree on the tune recommendation. Get a reputable tuner. I'm not a fan of out-of-the-box generics.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If you did get water in the COPs, it may be Christmas before it evaporates. I'd remove the coil covers and pull one COP at a time and blow compressed air down the hole, and then make a note to yourself to never do that again.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
The coil covers , have an o ring seal , pretty hard to get water in there .
Injectors on the other hand may be a culprit .

Perko

Established Member
Before I left the office I reflashed the 93 tune and cleared the codes. Cold started and idled fine, got 1/8 mile to the light pressed the clutch and misfires ... checked codes all the way home. started with P0302 .... then P0316 and eventually had 171/300/301/307 and 1000 was always present even after a clear.

The engine would see more water in a heavy storm than I put to it. Glad to hear about the o-ring under the covers, that makes sense.

SS

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
@Perko Pull the coil covers, pull coils and inspect for water intrusion. Seals or not water is a fickle bitch in an engine bay.

Also, pull your MAF sensor connector and check for water in the terminal. Also, check your MAF sensor for proper installation AND direction.

As others have stated, ditch the Bama tune. Im starting to think Bama needs to be arrested for all the issues they cause Mustang owners. Or are they secretly owned by a Chevy/Mopar conglomerate? hmmm....

Perko

Established Member
At this point I believe it's the tune. I JUST pulled the filter, cleaned it and cleaned the MAF .... cold start smooth (filter off although idle hunt, expected) went up the road a piece and pulled decent but a 302 came back. Hard to believe water on BOTH banks, not impossible but ..... NO 171/300/301/307/316.

Looks like we'll be taking the 5.0 R-Spec to HeIllinoise. :(

SS

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread