Cobra wont stay running

ESVEETEE

Established Member
My cobra is giving me a fit. It's had trouble starting in cold weather before, but not like this.

I crank and it will start, and immediately die. Sometimes it will start and try to idle for a few seconds and slowly die. If you give it any throttle, it dies even quicker.

Is there any good way to check the fuel pump? I can datalog fuel pressure (haven't yet), but I'm not sure what else I could do.

I checked STFTs and they're running about .85-.9 for the second that it tries to run. ECT/IAT read what normal values.

I'm running out of ideas. I drove this car about 3 weeks ago and it would start and idle funky for about 2 seconds, and then clear up and take off. Now that the weather is even colder, it is acting up.

Thanks guys!

Martin6107

Established Member
Many of the auto part stores have loaner tools. Check out a fuel pressure gauge set. Connect it to the fuel rail. You can get a pretty good idea what the pressure is by cycling the ignition on/off several times. I was chasing all kinds of idle issues that were the result of poor fuel pressure as in less than 12 lbs at the rail while idling (when it would). Problem solved with a new fuel pump.

GRUSE

Established Member
How old is the fuel filter?Could be it's clogged.Can you hear the pump cycle at start up?Your mods list IMRC delete,how long ago did you do that?Perhaps a vacuum leak up top?

ESVEETEE

Established Member
The fuel filter is maybe 6000 miles ago. The IMRCS were deleted last year. The pump comes on.

I drove it 2-3 weeks ago to work and back 2 days in a row (200 miles total). Now that the temperature has dropped it won't start and stay running. I haven't done any work on it since then.

Users who are viewing this thread