Cobra vs. Lightning

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
My L puts down 405 / 504 to the wheels and I can't stay within a car length of a stock 03 Cobra up to 100mph. Let alone a KB Cobra.

props to the guy in the lightning :shrug: for hangin close to a kb cobra. must have been a bad ass L imo.

No where did I say that a close to stock lightning would stay with am KB Cobra. I was just stating the fact that some people think no matter what a cobra will always destroy a Lightning no matter what mods.

Dudes, I DO NOT have a KB on my Cobra. See mods in first post.

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
First off guys, re-read the post, the KB Cobra did just what anyone would expect. The Lightning had more then 1 1/2 lenght head start, and the KB Cobra left in second gear from a low roll. So to only be that far ahead at 100, is about right.

Good kill to the OP, and the the but hurt owner of the Lightning, where's the thumbs up man? You did all right.

jeffs

Established Member
Yeah, if I was the lightning owner, I'd be happy to remain in the same county as a Terminator. No people, I don't think any Terminator can beat any Lightning, there's always exceptions, but on average, I'd put the money on the car. Now for those Lightnings that are able to mop the floor with Terminators, "My hat's off to ya". Sounds like this Lightning gave a good race, so I don't know why he's acting ashamed or whatever. I wouldn't be ashamed to lose to a newer Vette or 500-600 hp Viper, or anything modded for that matter.

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
First off guys, re-read the post, the KB Cobra did just what anyone would expect. The Lightning had more then 1 1/2 lenght head start, and the KB Cobra left in second gear from a low roll. So to only be that far ahead at 100, is about right.

Good kill to the OP, and the the but hurt owner of the Lightning, where's the thumbs up man? You did all right.

Thanks, but once again...NOT A KB COBRA, STOCK BLOWER AND PULLEY!

HalfTime

Established Member
Thanks, but once again...NOT A KB COBRA, STOCK BLOWER AND PULLEY!

Then fix your MOD list. It reads like you have a KB and a Ram Air. But my point remains the same. You started behind, ended in front, that means you pulled on him good to over come the gap, and gear.

Last edited:

SVTBeatdown13

Travis Barker Jr.
Established Member
It just sounded like you guys could not believe a Lightning could hang with a Cobra. I know it takes alot of mods to do this as it doesnt take much to make a cobra insanely fast.

HalfTime

Established Member
I know my Lightning can smoke a Termi, as long as it is stock or close to. lol But yea you're right. A Termi and a L is not much of a fight, unless the L is Modded up good. Let alone a Modded Termi...

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
Well the way L's launch and with some '03-04 Cobra's owners struggling with traction I can see a modded L hanging with a stock or lightly modded Cobra to 100. It doesn't take alot for a Lightning to hit high to mid 12's and if a Cobra is struggling with traction a L like that would be right there to 100 if not ahead.

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
I have raced my friend in mine multiple times and if I brake boost it I beat him by about 1 car or less. If I dont he wins because he gets to pick his gear and its easier to get the cobra moving than a big truck...

his mods are: stiege stage IV, jlt cai, full bassani exhaust, 2.93/4lb pulley setup and a few other minor things. This was on my stock block running a kb 2.3 (450hp,500tq). Hopefully with my new setup I should be running high 10's :)

mysticalsnake

Established Member
how the hell do you manage to break boost a twin screw? :shrugs: last time i know (seeing as how i have been driving turbo cars for a couple years now) the whole idea of brake boosting is to put load on the motor so you're producing more exhaust gases which inturn spool your turbo up so you have instantaneous boost...and a twin screw car is just stomp-n-go...hell, any supercharged vehicle for that matter, b/c brake boosting doesn't spin the motor over faster (the whole idea behind BRAKE boosting...keep your speed the same but up your boost)...maybe i just done get it with a blower? :shrug:

BoostFiend

Say NO to FUPA!
Established Member
how the hell do you manage to break boost a twin screw? :shrugs: last time i know (seeing as how i have been driving turbo cars for a couple years now) the whole idea of brake boosting is to put load on the motor so you're producing more exhaust gases which inturn spool your turbo up so you have instantaneous boost...and a twin screw car is just stomp-n-go...hell, any supercharged vehicle for that matter, b/c brake boosting doesn't spin the motor over faster (the whole idea behind BRAKE boosting...keep your speed the same but up your boost)...maybe i just done get it with a blower? :shrug:

I'm with mysticalsnake.

What is this "brake boost a twin screw" thing you speak of? Maybe you dont' understand what brake boosting means?

Last edited:

jeffs

Established Member
I'm sure if you stand on the breaks and give it as much gas as poosible short of spinning, you'd take off faster than just stomping it, maybe this is what he means. Or people with stall converters getting the rpms up to be in the power range before stomping it and releasing the brakes.

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
Well maybe I misworded it. I simply applied my break easily and applied more gas so my rpms were higher and my supercharger would kick in sooner. If I had a turbo it would be a different story, I just didnt know what to call it.

xonecrazyx

Established Member
my trucks not bad . it will run low 13s spinning bad just havent bought slicks . but i know i would get my but handed to me by most cobras . but il still runs . its all good . the truck is a tank and still hauls ass

Krwy

Established Member
I would be happy if a Cobra beat me by one car length, shit a 4700lb truck with the areodynamics of a Mac truck. I can only imagine what it will be like once my Whipple is on, hahah. 4700lb brick putting a truck length on a Cobra. If I need to go stupid fast thats what my single 67mm turbo coupe is for, well at least once I drop the motor in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread