Cobra VS 03-04 Roush...?

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
I was driving to town earlier today in my 96 gt and i had a red Roush Mustang drive by me, a '99 to '04 body style. I was wondering if i were in my stock cobra which car would be faster. TBH i didn't even know they made a Roush in those years and was wondering if they were even real. If they are real, which car is the better one and more desirable? Lol i couldn't take it if the Roush turned out to be a faster car.

CobRoush-00

Established Member
You must be trolling us.....LOL. I love the Roush cars but unless it's a Roush Cobra (meaning the same Cobra with a Roush body kit) you can sleep in peace.

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
You must be trolling us.....LOL. I love the Roush cars but unless it's a Roush Cobra (meaning the same Cobra with a Roush body kit) you can sleep in peace.

Alright cool. I was being sincere too, i never was really into the Roush's so i wasn't sure if it was real or not.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
roush and saleen cars are pretty much same thing, the 1999-2004 were a 2 valve gt motor with a blower stock. pretty much gt 2 valve, with eaton m90 blower with 6-8psi stock, they were rated 350-375hp at the crank. I belive the roush stage 3 was rated 365hp.( around 290-325rwhp( average 315rwhp stock. they run mid to low 13's , some get into high 12's bone stock.

a stock 2003-2004 cobra was a 4 valve forged cobra motor with a eaton m112 blower 8.5 psi stock, they were rated 390hp(which is underated they are more like 400-425hp stock) they dyno around 340-380rwhp stock. average 360rwhp stock mid to high 12's 1/4 mile.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
roush and saleen cars are pretty much same thing, the 1999-2004 were a 2 valve gt motor with a blower stock. pretty much gt 2 valve, with eaton m90 blower with 6-8psi stock, they were rated 350-375hp at the crank. I belive the roush stage 3 was rated 365hp.( around 290-325rwhp( average 315rwhp stock. they run mid to low 13's , some get into high 12's bone stock.

a stock 2003-2004 cobra was a 4 valve forged cobra motor with a eaton m112 blower 8.5 psi stock, they were rated 390hp(which is underated they are more like 400-425hp stock) they dyno around 340-380rwhp stock. average 360rwhp stock mid to high 12's 1/4 mile.

Stage 1's could be V6's and had ground effects and suspension. Stage 2 were GT's and had ground effects suspension intake exhaust (super slow). Stage 3's had a blower. Saleen S281's could be bought with our without the blower.

cobra-k

Established Member

someone knows his mustangs

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
03/4 cobra's had t56's and IRS as well.

Only saleen or Roush I know of that had irs or t56's were the 03/4 saleen cobra's.

The Roush 380r was probably the coolest or most equipped Roush of the sn95/new edge scene.

The best saleen was arguably the saleen cobra's in 03/04, but many would claim the s351's of 2000-2002 were. Iirc, 495hp 5.8L Windsor with a centrifugal sc. Not 100% on those so if someone remembers, please correct me if I'm wrong. The 2003/4 s281e's had 445hp iirc and an sc'd 281.

Personally, I think the 03/4 cobra's were a league above the saleen or Roush offerings. Yes saleens and roush's usually had well sorted chassis/suspensions, but apart from that, which can easily be changed on an 03 cobra, (and with better results if the IRS is built up), power train and durability were hands down the cobra's forte. I'd argue styling wise, the cobra's offered a cleanly mean yet subtle look where as saleen and Roush were awesome, but very loud about being awesome.

All are great. I'm going to go eat some ice cream as a treat for taking the time to write all that

Last edited:

s351

Established Member
The last s351 saleen with the 5.8 and centrifugal blower, was built in 2000. There were only a few built in 99-00 most people think 1998 was there last year. And in my opinion the 2000 s351 was the best saleen. Next to the tt s7 of course

mustangmike02

SVTless
Established Member
It's amazing the price tags on the "new edge" Roush/Saleens. They are right up there with an 03/04 Cobra.
They were more brand new. At least the Saleens were. There's a few Extremes out there that come with the bigger blower, forged engine, t56, Recaros and big brakes that can be had for cobra prices. Stout cars compared to a regular s281.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
Roush 360R is pretty quick out of the box. Still no Terminator though.

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
03/4 cobra's had t56's and IRS as well.

Only saleen or Roush I know of that had irs or t56's were the 03/4 saleen cobra's.

The Roush 380r was probably the coolest or most equipped Roush of the sn95/new edge scene.

The best saleen was arguably the saleen cobra's in 03/04, but many would claim the s351's of 2000-2002 were. Iirc, 495hp 5.8L Windsor with a centrifugal sc. Not 100% on those so if someone remembers, please correct me if I'm wrong. The 2003/4 s281e's had 445hp iirc and an sc'd 281.

Personally, I think the 03/4 cobra's were a league above the saleen or Roush offerings. Yes saleens and roush's usually had well sorted chassis/suspensions, but apart from that, which can easily be changed on an 03 cobra, (and with better results if the IRS is built up), power train and durability were hands down the cobra's forte. I'd argue styling wise, the cobra's offered a cleanly mean yet subtle look where as saleen and Roush were awesome, but very loud about being awesome.

All are great. I'm going to go eat some ice cream as a treat for taking the time to write all that

Well im glad you clarified that those cars actually existed, the guys above me seemed to disagree.

So basically the Terminator Cobras are the best all around mustang pretty much ever?... no disrespect to the older original ones. I have yet to hear anyone say anything bad about these cars other than if you were wanting to upgrade something like the IRS to a live axle... even compared to the more rare Saleens and Roush's mentioned above, they're thought of more highly.

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
Roush 360R is pretty quick out of the box. Still no Terminator though.

I googled the 360R that you mentioned and thats pretty close to the car that i saw, except it didnt say 360R on the side of it. It also had exhaust out the back and not the side. I thought those years had them out the side.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
Well im glad you clarified that those cars actually existed, the guys above me seemed to disagree.

So basically the Terminator Cobras are the best all around mustang pretty much ever?... no disrespect to the older original ones. I have yet to hear anyone say anything bad about these cars other than if you were wanting to upgrade something like the IRS to a live axle... even compared to the more rare Saleens and Roush's mentioned above, they're thought of more highly.

Just depends really. This is the Terminator section and we are Terminator owners so our opinion is biased. However the history of the Terminator is laying down the blue prints for it to be one of the top mustangs, again (IMO).

1. Only 2 production years.
2. Resale value is through the roof and seems to be increasing in some cases and will more than likely increase as they become more rare.
3. Bench mark car - Supercharged 4v forged internal engine with high capabilities. that pretty much set the pace for what we see today (IMO).
4. Timeless design and look
5. There are twice as many "Want to buy" ads than there are "for sale" ads, that proves how desirable these cars are.

There are only a hand full of mustangs in history that can stack up to that.

As far as the creme de la creme, the rarest of the rare in the Terminator family, I would sale the 2003/2004 Saleen Cobras have more pull than the regular Terminators. They have everything the 03/04 Cobras have but with extremely low production numbers, only 31 produced.

Side note: 2013/2014 GT500's will go down in history as well, however I don't think that they would exist, or be what they are, without the Terminator.

Last edited:

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member

If you're talking post 1990 mustangs....possibly the best "all arounder."

The 1998 and up S351's and all 3 Cobra R's would probably rank higher than 03-04 Saleen Cobras in a poll.

65 R model Shelby's are easily the best mustangs ever when matched against actual competition in actual racing. 69-70 Trans AM B302's come in second.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think the suspension was an option on the stage 2. Local guy bought a bone stock stage 2 off an old couple and it had standard GT underpinnings.

Hostlntent

Established Member
The 360R had the exhaust straight out the back; as well as the decal along the bottom portion of the door. Never seen one that didn't have the decal; at least a real one.

I googled the 360R that you mentioned and thats pretty close to the car that i saw, except it didnt say 360R on the side of it. It also had exhaust out the back and not the side. I thought those years had them out the side.

Hostlntent

Established Member
Sorry; Not sure how to do the multiple quote reply thing a ma jig but back to OP's topic; being that I have both... After buying the Roush brand new from the dealer; it didn't take me too long to upgrade it with the Stage 3 kit, which included a sleuth of parts with main ones being the blower, aluminum flywheel, larger injectors.. That suspension is hard to beat and hella fun to put to work along the twisty roads when driven through the mountains. I'd have to go with the Cobra :p I'm really torn between the two now as they both have been modified and are far from stock. I enjoy driving either or as I get thumbs up and receive comments on them the vast majority of the time they are out. With what I've done to them, they both have their benefits and are fun to drive. As they sit now the Roush is more of a carshow queen with many trophies indicating so and the Cobra has the all out don't !@#$ with me thing going for her lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread