Cobra: Totalled

TDMCobra

Ringside.
Established Member
My Cobra, from a accident when I wasnt at fault, has been officially listed as totalled. :mj: :mj: :cryying: :cryying: :mj: :mj: :cryying: :cryying:

My question to you, fellow SN95 peoples, is what to do now. I have several options.

1. Buy the car back, have it repaired for 5K, keep the extra 2-3K, and drive with a salvage title.

2. Buy the car back, part it out.

3. Buy the car back, buy a little honda, and use the rest of the $ and parts for.......ENGINE SWAP!! But into what....I had many ideas, but wanted to hear you guys.

4. Settle For Large Sum

a) 69-70 Mustang
69%20Mustang%20Mach1_01.jpg

b) Factory Five Cobra kit? I dont know much about them but are they affordable for my $ range? Im pretty sure I can drop almost all the parts from the Mustang right?
sep14_08.jpg

c)280z/240z (What is the difference between the 2?!?)
DSCN0730rw1b_lg1.jpg

d)New Edge Mustang?
stangda7.jpg

e)FC Rx-7
mm_fc_fuurin.jpg

Now before we all go ENGINE SWAP WOOO:)pop: ), I have to seriously consider option 1. Because lets say I get the extra money and have a new, clean, car that runs good. I keep the settlement $, and then I sell the car down the road for something modest. That settlement, plus the 4-5 I can sell it for (salvage title:nonono: ) may make that option the best...

So what do yall think? This was my daily driver, fyi. Any car built would be to fill that role.

Last edited:

Venomous Cobra

ballinn!!!
Established Member
sorry too hear man thank god your ok...my car has a rebuilt title because it was stolen back in 98 and recoverd a day later (with nothing wrong except a missing pass airbag :bored: :shrug: ) anyways buy your car back and drop a new motor in it as long as the frame is straight and thier is no major damage your good too go just get the car a rebuilt title.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Your considering imports?:nonono:

keep in mind, all those pics you showed, esp the GT have a good amount of mods.

TDMCobra

Ringside.
Established Member
MachME said:
Your considering imports?:nonono:

keep in mind, all those pics you showed, esp the GT have a good amount of mods.

Well an American powered import. Engine Swap, remember? As Midnight Cobra was saying, its a good 1000 lbs lighter.

I understand all those are modded in the pics but still, just the general idea.

I can still fix the cobra, just for 5,000, some of that from the settlement.

swingle007

Applying Zaino as usual!
Established Member
fix her up or part her out....either way you should get it back from them. Sorry to hear about the accident.

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
if you weren't to buy back the car and fix it, then I would go Factory Five. I don't know what they run, but I think that would be the most fun.

No to the RX-7, and Z cars

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
In a mall my car was broken into, robbed, and just messed up(vandalized). It got totalled they gave me 7k for it(four years ago) and i bought it back for 1k. I fixed the damage for 3k and did some mods. Kept the rest in the bank. I dont plan on ever selling this stang so i dont give a shit if it has a salvage title or not. I have pics and documentation so if i REALLY ever had to sell it that would help out alot.

Becuase yours is an accident i would look into buying it back and parting it out. Then another 95 or maybe a 99+ GT would be my best bet.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I say buy the car back and repair it, IF you are going to keep the mustang for awhile.

If you plan on selling it, buy it back and part it out and put the motor into something else.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Get the money for the car and get a new one. I personally dont think its worth dropping money into the car when it has a salvage title, unless it has sentamental (sp) value. Get the $ and get another sn95...Thats what I would do..

bvysochin

Established Member
First of all..

Whos going to do the motor swap for you if you're gonna go the import route? Do you have thousands of dollars, AND the knowledge to do the swap yourself? Is this even a realistic plan or is this just a dream you had while you were taking a nap? Is this a good idea for a daily driver? Do you have something else to drive around while you find a shop that'll do the swap, or you do it yourself?

Second.. if you are knowledgable enough and feel comfortable doing the swap.. then why don't you fix your car yourself? Surely it will cost you less than 5k.

If you do buy the car back to part it out.. do you have a spot to store it while you strip parts off of it? Do you feel comfortable doing the work yourself? Do you know how much $ the parts would fetch? How many miles are on your car?

Depending on your situation, including living arrangements, time, school, work, whatever, I'd say you're best off taking as much $$$ as you can from insurance.. and finding another car.. OR, taking as much $$$ as you can, buying the car back, and parting it out on the side.. it would be a good learning experience for you and you should be able to make a decent profit..

Just my .02

Also.. get as many receipts for parts, and maintenance as you can for your car.. and present them to your insurance.. even if you have some buddies with 5.0's.. see if they have some receipts as long as they seem legit.. You should be able to get a little more out of them. They'll usually give you fair market value, which is NOT bluebook.. so.. start doing your research now, and print out as many different ads for cars similar to yours as possible, and present them to your insurance.. insist that they give you exactly that much.. (This should be good since most cobras are overpriced to begin with)

Last edited:

TDMCobra

Ringside.
Established Member
bvysochin said:
First of all..

Whos going to do the motor swap for you if you're gonna go the import route? Do you have thousands of dollars, AND the knowledge to do the swap yourself? Is this even a realistic plan or is this just a dream you had while you were taking a nap? Is this a good idea for a daily driver? Do you have something else to drive around while you find a shop that'll do the swap, or you do it yourself?

Second.. if you are knowledgable enough and feel comfortable doing the swap.. then why don't you fix your car yourself? Surely it will cost you less than 5k.

If you do buy the car back to part it out.. do you have a spot to store it while you strip parts off of it? Do you feel comfortable doing the work yourself? Do you know how much $ the parts would fetch? How many miles are on your car?

Depending on your situation, including living arrangements, time, school, work, whatever, I'd say you're best off taking as much $$$ as you can from insurance.. and finding another car.. OR, taking as much $$$ as you can, buying the car back, and parting it out on the side.. it would be a good learning experience for you and you should be able to make a decent profit..

Just my .02

Also.. get as many receipts for parts, and maintenance as you can for your car.. and present them to your insurance.. even if you have some buddies with 5.0's.. see if they have some receipts as long as they seem legit.. You should be able to get a little more out of them. They'll usually give you fair market value, which is NOT bluebook.. so.. start doing your research now, and print out as many different ads for cars similar to yours as possible, and present them to your insurance.. insist that they give you exactly that much.. (This should be good since most cobras are overpriced to begin with)

I would be doing all of the work myself. I feel confident in myself and learning hands on and I know quite a bit from doing almost all of the work on my own. My neighbor also alway helps me out and he is a retired Army mechanic and is old enough to remember when the SBC came out. His garage rivals small shops so access to parts isnt a problem. The reason Im not fixing it myself is most of the damage is cosmetic and Im not a skilled painter. The thing that made it totalled was a bent K member so Im told but I figured if I was going to replace that, why not save the $ from repairing the car and put it in a different one. Although I bought and paid for the car, its in my dads name (insurance) so he is settling but thanks for the advice.

Midnight_Cobra said:
I say buy the car back and repair it, IF you are going to keep the mustang for awhile.

If you plan on selling it, buy it back and part it out and put the motor into something else.

Im moving to Indiana for college and I dont know how the weather will treat a RWD car, especially since Ive never actually driven in snow before. So I would probably be selling it. If I did a project, probably keeping it then.

Right now, Im either going to have it repaired and sell it as a salvaged titled car at the end of the summer, part it out, or swap everythign into something. I dont know, Im just trying to think it out.

Last edited:

scuzzdude2587

Established Member
the 2 mustangs and the cobra shold be your only choices!! If you get a used rotary--eesh, be prepared to empty your pockets for maintenance. And the Z, sweet, but will take a lot of money to have it keep up with a cobra.

TDMCobra

Ringside.
Established Member
scuzzdude2587 said:
the 2 mustangs and the cobra shold be your only choices!! If you get a used rotary--eesh, be prepared to empty your pockets for maintenance. And the Z, sweet, but will take a lot of money to have it keep up with a cobra.

Okay, what dont you guys get about the imports!?!

The 5.0 is going into them!!

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
The difference between the 240 and 280Z is the 240 was carburated and the 280 was fuel injected. They were both an inline six as I can remember. I had a buddy in highschool who owned both. I would never buy and fix a salvaged title car for anything other than a track dedicated car. How much would they sell it for? Was there any frame damage?

Users who are viewing this thread