Cobra Tech

wiltjoe

Banned
Well, as some of you might know, I lost my 99 cobra engine with the kb 2.1 about a month back, and a mach1 motor was dropped in.

The dyno below is reading 326tq over 322 hp with basic bolt-ons such as bbk longtubes, and a bbk cai.

dyno.jpg

I've been looking at camshafts recently, and i want the sound of the compcams 106300's, but the power of the fr500 kit. So, I'm tossed up between that right now.

1. would the electric water pump be beneficial to the engine without harming it? i know some people have reported problem with the underdirve pulleys, which I don't want to mess with now.
WATER PUMP LINK

2. does anyone know about disabling traction control and throwing in a closed traction control unit?

3. those darn wheel spacers: the spacers i have won't work on the rear of the car due to the studs on the axle being too long. I heard from someone that autozone and such places sell shorter studs, but when I went there, they looked at me like I was stupid and offered me the stock ones?

So, my questions are basic, but I couldn't find a reasonable answer to them yet. I would've included the toss up between 4.10's and 4.30's, but that's been discussed way too much, and is my choice to decide (anything but the stock 3.27's work for me, haha)

any help, advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

mystical

Established Member
Nice #'s. When choosing cams, don't go for sound as you might be disappointed with the performance. Talk to nasvt, he is the man in that department.

For a street car, I wouldn't run an electric water pump. Not worth the risk IMO, too many have failed and toasted the motor. Another thing is, the bbk cai might be hurting you. Look into something else.

Regarding the gear, the higher the better. For an all out N/A effort, 4.56 or 4.88 is the way to go. Don't waste your time with 4.10's. Goodluck.

Last edited:

wiltjoe

Banned
so, how would the bbk cai be hurting the car's numbers? gets too hot?

Last edited:

wiltjoe

Banned
I haven't heard anything above 4.56's, and those I can't seem to find either. I'm decided on the fr500 kit, possibly a larger throttle body.

oh, and UPS damaged the supercharger en route to it's destination, and refuses to cover the damage, giving me a bullshit answer that "it wasnt packaged correctly" when it was clearly hit by something with a tire. so, watch ups.

Swannyvill

BLOWN '01
Established Member
If ur planning on driving it everyday I would think twice about goin above 4.30s...even 4.56s are gonna be rev'n it.. could hurt ur wallet....

Last edited:

Swannyvill

BLOWN '01
Established Member
im sayin a ratio higher depending on how ur drive is... ya could regret it. thats all.. 4.10s are badass. but the only driving i do w/ this car is for pleasure.

Slw01Cobra

Warrenton Select
Established Member
I put 4.10's in my 01 and really liked them a lot. When i had my gears put in i had them disable traction control. It sucks when you get on in it and ppl are watching and you forget to turn it off. haha

wiltjoe

Banned
I put 4.10's in my 01 and really liked them a lot. When i had my gears put in i had them disable traction control. It sucks when you get on in it and ppl are watching and you forget to turn it off. haha

how do i go about having it disabled, other than turning the switch on/off?

PCPRO

Big Daddy
Established Member
I haven't heard anything above 4.56's, and those I can't seem to find either. I'm decided on the fr500 kit, possibly a larger throttle body.

Cams: na svt gave me advice on my set up, so I know he will tell you that those cams are not a good choice when using a Cobra or Mach 1 intake. The FR500cams powerband does not match the powerband of the intake. Have you considered using the cams from your cobra engine? That's what he advised me to do. The 96 to 98 cobra intake cams have about 20* more duration, which is worth 15 to 20 rwhp over the Mach cams. The exhaust cams are virtually identical so there is no need to change them. Best of all this is a free upgrade since you already have them. If you decide you still want aftermarket cams just PM na svt and he will help you pick some out. Super guy to talk to!

Water pump: you might check into the Stewart pump. It's low drag/hi flow and reportedly saves as much rwhp as the electric one. You can find it at lethalperformance for around $150.

UDP: You'll be fine as long as you get a good quality set such as the ones from Steeda. Don't get the piggyback style!

Throttlebody: If you do this, go with the Accufab. The BBK's have had a lot of problems.

Other: See Naz for a ported intake & see Roy for an intake spacer.

PCPRO

Big Daddy
Established Member
Those cams have more lift and less duation than the 96 to 98 Cobra cams. They are good for a supercharged motor, but if you are staying NA I would go with the 96 to 98 Cobra cams. Will you be na or supercharged?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I've been looking at camshafts recently, and i want the sound of the compcams 106300's, but the power of the fr500 kit. So, I'm tossed up between that right now.
The Comps would make more power and "sound."

well, I've heard that the gt40 cams would do nicely. anyone have any info on that?
The GT cams have less duration than 96-98 cams and their higher lift affects power very little. I wouldn't run them in an FI or n/a 4.6.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread