Cobra Taken From Me....

TDMCobra

Ringside.
Established Member
A guy lost control of his car and crushed my front left..well, the whole front left, door and all, to the point where it was like the car ended at the edge of the hood. I was knocked over a curb about 10 feet off the road before and went about 50 feet before I stopped. His car was a Integra and something in the steering snapped and made it turn into me. He was a nice guy, first thing he did was run over to my car and see if I was ok. He has all his insurance in order and it will cover me but its very possible that it is totalled. My dad, who worked in many a auto shops and owned about 46 cars in his lifetime said he would guess the body damage at 4,000 and thats assuming mechanically it is sound. It wouldnt start or even turn over and the battery was hooked up and it was getting power. This really sucks because at the time, I had just spent all day putting in a TwEECer RT and was datalogging at the time. I dont get a rental car in my policy so I have no idea what to do. I have Travelers insurance, comprehensive. Anyone have any dealings with them?

The damage itself isnt total worthy but the possible mechancal damage is very troubling. It wouldnt start and it was still getting power. The pictures dont accuratley show the extent of the damage.

1001910mi8.jpg

1001912dp4.jpg

1001913rh1.jpg

Last edited:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I believe traveler's insurance only covers damage to rentals or when you are away from home. Don't quote me on this though.

You can get a discount through Hertz, which might help.

chevytosvt

Guns go bang
Established Member
SickBlackMach said:
Ask the dude if he, or his insurance, will pay for the rental?
Sucks to hear man.. :(

Dont ask the dude's insurance company, TELL Them you want a rental. They dont have a choice in the matter. They are obligated to pay for a rental up until they figure out what they are gonna do with it! We ran into this all the time with insurance companys! :cuss:

Rochard

Established Member
The car, how ever much you loved it, is replaceable. You are not.

Just be thankful that you lived to post about it.

TDMCobra

Ringside.
Established Member
Rochard said:
The car, how ever much you loved it, is replaceable. You are not.

Just be thankful that you lived to post about it.

I really am. Lucky I had a seatbelt on (always do but still). Doesnt meant that watching the car get crushed didnt hurt a lot though. :( . Its like watching your small child get the shit beaten out of him/her.

Longhornd00d

I Roll With My Kitties
Established Member
Aren't you the one who wrote a post in the LEO forum about just recently getting a ticket at your high school? If so, then you must have shitty luck.

At least you are ok. And believe me, cars can be replaced. It's happened to me (car in sig is no longer :( )

TDMCobra

Ringside.
Established Member
Longhornd00d said:
Aren't you the one who wrote a post in the LEO forum about just recently getting a ticket at your high school? If so, then you must have shitty luck.

At least you are ok. And believe me, cars can be replaced. It's happened to me (car in sig is no longer :( )

Yes, thats me. Me = :loser: . Ironically thats actually kinda resolved now. I saw the cop who gave me the ticket last night at high school graduation and I talked to him and explained how I felt and my situation where I cant take DD and am going to Indiana for college and he told me he felt bad about it being my last day and giving me a ticket and if I really wanted to get the ticket off, I should make a court date and he would be busy that day. Then I get swerved into and taken off the road...

Juruense

Banned
Sorry to hear that, good job restraining yourself and not punching the guy in the face for destroying your Cobra.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
TDMCobra said:
Hey guys, lets assume that it is totalled? What is the fate of the car itself?

Typically when a vehicle is totalled they pay you out. But you can ask if you can "recover" the car. I was given this option after my car was totalled while parked in front of my house. I paid 20%, so basically I got to keep the car and got 80% of the settlement amount.

TDMCobra

Ringside.
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
Typically when a vehicle is totalled they pay you out. But you can ask if you can "recover" the car. I was given this option after my car was totalled while parked in front of my house. I paid 20%, so basically I got to keep the car and got 80% of the settlement amount.

I might do that and add the (whats left of the) engine/tranny to one of these. Only positive thing I can see coming from this.

image01.jpg

diablostang

Established Member
If the car is totalled, his insurance company will pay you the value of the car (Generally they'll offer less than the value, so fight till you get what you think is the true value of the car) and they'll send the car to a wrecking yard. Generally they'll give you an option to buy the car back if you want it back (In my case it was $2,500 for a car totalled at $9,600)

I had a 97 GT (Vortech S-trim, lowered, rims, shifter, exhaust etc) that was totalled by a UPS truck (my car was parked) and their insurance company offered $6,400 first. I told them either I kept all the mods, or they paid for them. They ended up offering $9,600, and I kept the wheels, shifter, gauges, and slapped stock stuff back on.

Users who are viewing this thread