Cobra seams to be acting funny

Drew03

Established Member
Hey guys I dont wanna write a book here but I have been concerned about my car and wanna see if anyone here can offer some insight. I've had this car for 6 months and just started experiencing this problem. On acceleration you can hear a hesitation thru the mufflers and a lag on the engine and boost. I took it to a local shop that everyone takes their Cobra too and they first said it was fine. Then later they said after an extensive drive the noticed the intercooler pump wasnt working and that after it heated up the car started missing. So I go an pick it up today and it still seams to be actin weird. There is alot of popping in the exhaust and and I can still hear a hesitation thru the mufflers. It does seam to be boosting ok for now. I dont know if I'm crazy or what!!! I did change the exhaust from mac pro chamber with magnaflow to bassani off road x with borla stingers but that was like 3 months ago. Does anyone know why my car would be popping so much and have this kind of problem. The shop said everything else is fine on the car after the intercooler pump change.

BladeX10

Established Member
idk if its the same or whatever, but i had an ls1 camaro that backfired and popped out of the exhaust and was hesitant on acceleration and it turned out to be a bad spark plug

Drew03

Established Member
Like when you hit the acceleration it takes a second before it takes off. Like the feeling its not getting enough fuel or the feeling if you have it in too high at low speeds. They told me everything checks out on the car so I dont know if im dumb or paranoid haha. The exhaust definitely wasnt popping like this before like I said I've had it for six months and it just started acting this way the last 3 weeks. The only other thing I have done is change the oil

Drew03

Established Member
Bladex10 pulled the plugs cus I thought that too but they look good. I guess I will end up changing them anyways

Drew03

Established Member
I just took it for a ride again and when you accelerate you can hear sputtering in the exhaust. It will also pop alot when you are just cruising down the road. What would cause the car to do this?

cobracide

Established Member
I just took it for a ride again and when you accelerate you can hear sputtering in the exhaust. It will also pop alot when you are just cruising down the road. What would cause the car to do this?

Too rich? Read you plugs.

Last edited:

Drew03

Established Member
I thought it smelled like it but I really dont understand why this place I took it too wouldn't of seen that. They work on every Cobra in the Texas Panhandle. The car wasnt pulling good before, now after the new inter cooler pump it seams to be pulling hard but the sputtering and popping in the exhaust just dont seam right. I guess I will take it tomorrow and have them ride with me so I can show them what I'm talking about

Drew03

Established Member
Thanks kimm123 I will def look at them in the morning. I feel like an idiot cus I don't know a whole lot about engines and I just took it to these guys which it did end up being something wrong with the IC pump. These guys are the best in town and they say the car is good to go but I feel like something still isn't right.

Blueline

Established Member
Im going to take a guess but your going to have to do some tinkiering to figure this out. If its only acting like this once the car is really warmed up or after a long ride, start checking your coils. When the coils are cracked or going bad they start showing signs when they get hot. See if you can meet up with another cobra friend and try swapping out coils and check them. Take them out, look for rust in them, check the casings etc. GL bud!

Drew03

Established Member
Thank you Blueline yeah I guess I am gonna have to start a process of elimination to find out whats causing it. The main symptom I am seeing is that the exhaust sputters and pops like crazy. Like I said I did change the exhaust out about 3 months ago its only been doing this for like 3 weeks. I am also considering getting a second opinion from a different place

da2k17

Established Member
my opinion, when your IC pump wasnt working the motor was getting heat soaked and pulled a shit load of timing causing it to hesitate and run poorly. now that it is running cooler the timing is back on and the fuel is getting a better burn through the exhaust system heating it up more. any that isnt burnt in compression is being ignited by the cats being hotter, like it is supposed to. if thats the case theres nothing to worry about, mine pops like a mother f'er when i let off the throttle....

a sound clip will definitely help diagnose the problem though...

Drew03

Established Member
There are no cats it has dummy cats but they are gutted out. I don't think it has loosened up but I will check it. Basically I am gonna change the plugs regardless of what they look like. I am gonna check out the coils I would just replace them but they are a little more pricey. What da2k17 said about popping on deceleration is def happening. But I did hear some sputtering and popping when accelerating like if I am in 2nd and rolling about 40 and punch it you can hear a sputtering in the mufflers. The car does pull pretty damn hard though

Users who are viewing this thread