Cobra performance mods.

Omac

Established Member
Hey guys,
So I just but the drivetrain out of a 1997 cobra. It has high mileage. Can any shed some light on any maintenance? Or mods I should do to it while it's out?
Also I heard I can put terminator heads on it for a decent gain? Anything else I could learn would be very much appreciated.
Thank you

Sent from my iPad using the svtperformance.com mobile app

nxhappy

Established Member
do the maintenance first. Then start with intake/exhaust/tune.

Omac

Established Member
Budget? Goals?

Sent from my iPhone somewhere in Mexico

Goals?.... Not get slayed by every other fox body coupe! So I figure get into the 11's with 3.73 gears would be a goal for me. Don't want to sacrifice my Hwy cruising too much.

My build list only has chassis stuff which I feel on a car like this is important. Maybe someone here can shed some light on whether they perform well enough to justify the purchase???
- panhard bar
- control arms
- subframe connectors
- strut tower braces...

Budget is not irrelevant but it is unknown. I'm not made of money but am capable of pulling out around 2000$-$3000 for all upgrades.

Omac

Established Member
Maintenance first and a pretty good 'bang for the buck' upgrade is swapping to 03/04 heads and then selling off your stock stuff.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/c-head-swap.703051/

But before that, I would change the rear end gear ratio. 4.10-4.56, depending on how much fun you want to have, haha.

Thanks! I wasn't sure what the heads were called. I'll look into that. What should I be prepared to pay?

blubyu87gt

Established Member
There are two ways to make the car fast. More power and making the car use said power better.

C-head swap can be done fairly cheap... If you're doing it yourself. If not then look to eat up a significant amount of the projected budget. Just the base parts will likely run 12-1500 depending on how cheap you can get the heads. I just finished piecing together everything for mine and have 1700 into parts. I am also doing a new timing / tensioner setup as a "while you're in there" deal.

You could also go the way of using the power you have more efficiently. Suspension, weight reduction, combination of both, gears, and reducing rotational mass (light wheels/aluminum flywheel and/or drive shaft) are good ways to go. Tubular K member, flywheel, and driveshaft would be easy enough with the drive train pulled

Last edited:

JRMotorsports55

Established Member
What are you asking?

Went through my list. I have:
Supercharger with throttle body elbow
Gaskets
Intake manifold
Front pulley bridge
C heads
Front cover
Balancer
Main drive assembly
PCV hoses
Hardware
Blower idler pulley
Blower pulley (one stock size, one higher boost)
11 GT500 heat exchanger (larger than terminator)
Intercooler
New throttle and cruise cables with bracket.
As an FYI, some of the pulleys are aftermarket and look nicer than stock. This is most of what you need, but some other stuff will be required.
Asking $3800 OBO
Thanks,
Jason

cobralvr01

Established Member
Consider an IRS swap before doing ANYTHING with your suspension. 2003/2004 Cobra springs -1 coil, Bilstein HD dropouts, FTBR kit, and IRS will give you the best handling, lower your ride however you want, best ride quality you'll ever find, and it'll balance your car's weight ratio to reduce understeer. Plus that exhaust looks amazing! You can pickup an IRS with springs and shocks for a few hundred more than what you'll pick up new shocks, springs, and cc plates. After selling your SRA, you'll come close to what you would've spent with just the new springs and shocks at the end. Overall, IRS swap will have the biggest impact on your ride next to a FI setup. I put in Konis and absolutely hated the ride. I wish I would've gone with the IRS swap first instead of wasting my time and $$..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-2001-Mus...ash=item211e6c804f:g:U6wAAOSwnHZYeQGE&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

Omac

Established Member
Consider an IRS swap before doing ANYTHING with your suspension. 2003/2004 Cobra springs -1 coil, Bilstein HD dropouts, FTBR kit, and IRS will give you the best handling, lower your ride however you want, best ride quality you'll ever find, and it'll balance your car's weight ratio to reduce understeer. Plus that exhaust looks amazing! You can pickup an IRS with springs and shocks for a few hundred more than what you'll pick up new shocks, springs, and cc plates. After selling your SRA, you'll come close to what you would've spent with just the new springs and shocks at the end. Overall, IRS swap will have the biggest impact on your ride next to a FI setup. I put in Konis and absolutely hated the ride. I wish I would've gone with the IRS swap first instead of wasting my time and $$..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-2001-Mus...ash=item211e6c804f:g:U6wAAOSwnHZYeQGE&vxp=mtr

Great info! Thank you!
So irs will out perform a panhard bar ?? Street/ strip??

Omac

Established Member

Ps. I was planning on side pipes...any opinions on that? Sound?

Ksvoyt

Went through my list. I have:
Supercharger with throttle body elbow
Gaskets
Intake manifold
Front pulley bridge
C heads
Front cover
Balancer
Main drive assembly
PCV hoses
Hardware
Blower idler pulley
Blower pulley (one stock size, one higher boost)
11 GT500 heat exchanger (larger than terminator)
Intercooler
New throttle and cruise cables with bracket.
As an FYI, some of the pulleys are aftermarket and look nicer than stock. This is most of what you need, but some other stuff will be required.
Asking $3800 OBO
Thanks,
Jason

How much for the intercooler and pulleys

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread