Cobra overheating

raymond0601

Established Member
Hey you guys I just traded a 2006 Ford F-150 2wd , for a 1996 cobra when I got it it worked fine I got home and checked all the components , and this guy had everything ****ed up there is a fan switch but it does not work how do I check it and re wire it I'm getting new electric fans and radiator because I've heard the 1996s all had over heating problems . I'm also burping the system after I replace the stock parts , I replace the water pump but no luck , so I'm hoping it's just air in my system I got a block check and my heads were fine . I don't like the way that year model air intake is because of the clamp it's really annoying . But any ideas and help would be nice thanks y'all
8b618c408c98cc82e12a91a46262f303.png
186f95b2ff5a464720051b537cf56a5a.jpg
e00eeebd728504321081a31424895891.jpg
c07e01d86480ef807ef9401305297a61.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
Get a 97 spectre ac condenser, morimoto radiator and 180 tstat and you will have zero issues.

Trash the fan switch it's not necessary. Get the car high up in the front and burp it through the crossover tune. Mmr sells new crossover plugs also

Sent from my MSM8996 for arm64 using Tapatalk

nomoretickets

Established Member
What is going on with that crossover plug? Is that your set up to burp the system or is that just how the car came? Because if you bought it like that, Id start there.

1998SVTCOBRA

With all due respect...
Established Member
What is going on with that crossover plug? Is that your set up to burp the system or is that just how the car came? Because if you bought it like that, Id start there.
Looks like a temp sensor is bunged into the coolant crossover bolt...? Agreed, that is weird.

I agree with 96Mystic, New condenser, mishmoto, new thermostat, and ditch that switch.

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
Yeah trash that temp sensor on the crossover plug and get a new plug from mmr or somewhere else

Sent from my MSM8996 for arm64 using Tapatalk

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the temp sensor being located there and I would encourage you to leave it. The first thing people should be telling you to do, if you're having an overheating issue, is to get a real temperature gauge on the car. The gauge in the stock cluster is not accurate in the slightest.

Before you spend hundreds of dollars in new parts, try burping the system. These systems are notoriously difficult to burp and can trap a lot of air, and often times this is the only issue. Here is a good how-to on burping a 4V car. http://www.reischeperformance.com/refill.html

From there I would start with the small, cheap stuff. Thermostat - cheap and easy. You could look at the water pump, but I doubt that is your issue. From there the A/C condenser was the largest contributor to cooling issues on 96's.

Don't replace the fan, unless it is not working. It is a good unit and the vast majority of electric fans you'll find on the aftermarket don't move nearly the same amount of air that the factory fan does.

If you're interested in keeping the high-speed fan switch, here is a how-to on installing one properly - http://www.superstallions.com/tech/cool/fanswitch/fanswitch.html

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Grab a bigger radiator, a new condenser, and a quality thermostat.
The 96s are definitely well known for overheating.
While you are at it, swap out those MSD coil packs for OEM before you have issues.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the temp sensor being located there and I would encourage you to leave it. The first thing people should be telling you to do, if you're having an overheating issue, is to get a real temperature gauge on the car. The gauge in the stock cluster is not accurate in the slightest.

Before you spend hundreds of dollars in new parts, try burping the system. These systems are notoriously difficult to burp and can trap a lot of air, and often times this is the only issue. Here is a good how-to on burping a 4V car. http://www.reischeperformance.com/refill.html

From there I would start with the small, cheap stuff. Thermostat - cheap and easy. You could look at the water pump, but I doubt that is your issue. From there the A/C condenser was the largest contributor to cooling issues on 96's.

Don't replace the fan, unless it is not working. It is a good unit and the vast majority of electric fans you'll find on the aftermarket don't move nearly the same amount of air that the factory fan does.

If you're interested in keeping the high-speed fan switch, here is a how-to on installing one properly - http://www.superstallions.com/tech/cool/fanswitch/fanswitch.html

Agreed on all points. Before spending money, ensure that it actually needs to be spent through diagnosis.

nomoretickets

Established Member

My comment re: the hackjob temp sensor set up is geared more towards "that looks very sketchy and I sure wouldnt trust whoever did that to not have f'd something up in the process." Its something (1) cooling system related that is (2) not factory (3) oddly located and (4) unnecessarily redundant. It may not be the ultimate issue, but that should be raising question marks.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
If the OP is still running the stock temp sensors on the crossover and this one has merely been added on then there's no ill effect. He can verify its functioning adequately by datalogging ECM reported temperature against his gauge. That's just one of the easiest places for an aftermarket gauge while getting rid of the problematic crossover plug. But yes, I would agree you never know what the previous owner screwed up and you should verify its done correctly.

raymond0601

Established Member
Alright you guys I went on American muscle and got a performance radiator way bigger then the other one I got a new water pump a new ac condenser from oh Riley for a 97 cobra because mine is a 96 I also put a new fan but it's still hard wired too the switch and does work but the system keeps over heating , can someone tell me what exactly to do I have no ac at all it has no freon in it , my mom just wants too take it into a shop on Tuesday I've already spent like 1,400 for parts and stuff so ,

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

raymond0601

Established Member
But that up there was the car before I got it this is after I got it , just got done w it , I got all excited then she overheated again so , ://// *^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

4:10Love

My 97 was "overheating" and I put a Edelbrock high flow water pump on it and that helped a wee bit. Keep in mind that the stock thermostat is set to open at 205F so it is going run hotter than anything you are probably use to. Mine went from tapping out at A of NORMAL to M after the waterpump. The MA represents about 225F if I recall. I pulled the heads off to inspect, did a leak down, and pressure test, all was good. I was just told by some local Ford mechanics that those 4.6s/SN95s were always going to run a little "warm". I plan on putting a Mishimoto radiator on mine soon just to help out.

97snakebite

Established Member
My 97 was "overheating" and I put a Edelbrock high flow water pump on it and that helped a wee bit. Keep in mind that the stock thermostat is set to open at 205F so it is going run hotter than anything you are probably use to. Mine went from tapping out at A of NORMAL to M after the waterpump. The MA represents about 225F if I recall. I pulled the heads off to inspect, did a leak down, and pressure test, all was good. I was just told by some local Ford mechanics that those 4.6s/SN95s were always going to run a little "warm". I plan on putting a Mishimoto radiator on mine soon just to help out.
Stock thermostat is actually 190 FYI

raymond0601

Established Member

I’m still having problems with her , but it could be the water pump I changed it and tightened it by hand so idk why it would be though . But she’s back in the shop for the 4th time in the last 3 to 4 months

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread