cobra motor serial number? HELP PLEASE

Mustangsvt01

Established Member
Hey everyone I have a quick question. I'm looking at a 2003 gt mustang with a full 03 cobra swap. The motor/body all 03 cobra parts. My worry is if the motor or anything else was stolen. The owner gave me the vin and the number to the mechanic who built the motor. My question is how can I find out if the motor was stolen? Is there any type of serial number or motor vin that I can run? Thanks for any help

shurur

Established Member
I'd repost this thread in the SVTP donut shop forum as it's kinda/sorta a LE question...

I'm not sure that the motors are matched to the VINs anywhere on our cars.
Ford SVT might be able to help you as well.

Last edited:

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
There is a number stamped on that block, but I don't know if it is the last 6 of the vehicle's VIN like on some cars, but I think it is. At the bare minimum it will have an individual number that, if its not the VIN, can be connected to the car it was originally installed in. I think the number on a 4V motor is on the motor (obviously :D) driver's side near the rear of the engine above the oil pan, but maybe someone can post a pic of one.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Ford never did the VIN matching thing. Even with the classics. If you're worried about parts being stolen I'd suggest finding a new place to go car shopping.

zPipes

Established Member
I would have to agree. The best you can do is have the VIN ran to see if it was stolen. Other than that, sure, its possible that someone chopped a car and made this one, but you will never know. Its also possible that someone bought a wrecked 03 and did the swap, thats not too uncommon. If the VIN comes back clean, either buy it or move on.

Users who are viewing this thread