Cobra making a noise. Please help

hotcobra03

Established Member
2 things cause this..loose pad

The rattle clips..stretch them out to hold tighter..

The ring on the pad that goes in pistons and caliper..these should spin when pad is off in hand..

Before anything..car cold..reach in wheel and rock caliper with hand..it should be firm..when loose it will rattle and squeak..

1badsilversvt

turn up the boost
Established Member
I finally got it fixed and it was my passenger side rotor had a spot on it. Had the rotors turned and it has went away. *** new noise now, in neutral with clutch out, I get a tiny chatter noise, not real loud but you can hear it. When I push the clutch in, it goes away and there is no noise. Any one know what This could be?

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Throw out bearing fa sho!

Yep, mine does it - no big deal until it gets worse. Mine also does it when you first start moving after the clutch is all the way out. Just keep an eye on it and be ready to do a clutch sooner rather than later

Edit - or you could just have the TOB replace, but for me personally when it comes apart I'm putting in a twin disk and 26 spine so I'm going to ride her until it really starts to chatter.

Last edited:

boost21

boooooost
Established Member
Yep, mine does it - no big deal until it gets worse. Mine also does it when you first start moving after the clutch is all the way out. Just keep an eye on it and be ready to do a clutch sooner rather than later

Same here just a little annoyance of a sound. will replace when I go 26 spline and replace the clutch.

1badsilversvt

turn up the boost
Established Member
I can't believe it. Same front spinning noise is back. I put my rotors on and just moved it around in the driveway and couldn't hear it. Them I took it pun on the road for the first time and immediately heard it. Ok I took the brakes off had the rotors turned - brakes are fine - nothing is leaking - put everything back on tight and it's still makes the spinning noise until I hit the brakes? What is it! I'm going nuts.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
I can't believe it. Same front spinning noise is back. I put my rotors on and just moved it around in the driveway and couldn't hear it. Them I took it pun on the road for the first time and immediately heard it. Ok I took the brakes off had the rotors turned - brakes are fine - nothing is leaking - put everything back on tight and it's still makes the spinning noise until I hit the brakes? What is it! I'm going nuts.

If it's in the front and your sure it's not the brakes, then the only other thing that spins is the hubs and the wheels. With the noise stopping when you apply the brakes, I still think it is brake related, but...

The bearings may be going out in your hubs. They are easy to replace, but you'll need a big ass socket (36mm I think), half-inch breaker bar, and new nuts to go along with the new hubs. You'll have to order the nuts from a Ford parts store and they're about $18 each.

Last edited:

1badsilversvt

turn up the boost
Established Member
I took all breaks off again and don't see anything out of the ordinary. I did a search earlier and seen that some people fixed an issue with anti rattle clips? I don't see any clips on mine and thinking about putting some on there. Any know about this? It is kinda a rattling/rubbing noise

2Rare

Against All Odds
Established Member
I would say check your belts or power steering pumps. I had a similar problem and the car would make a whining noise as I slowly accelerated or came to a stop. Turned out that there was air in the power steering pump. Had to let the bubbles out of the fluid! That's more than likely not the same problem you're having, but good luck!

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member

I'm not saying this is a smart thing to do, but one time I was changing front brakes (not on my Cobra - this was many years ago), one of my old pads had actually cracked and I had bought the wrong pads, so I had no pads and didn't want to wait for someone to give me a ride, so being young and stupid, I put the calipers back on the front with no pads on either side and drove the 2 miles to autozone using only my e-brake. You could theoretically do the same thing and drive around a little - no noise and you 100% would know it has to do with the brakes contacting the disk. Of course if you forget and hit the brake pedal you'll be buying new calipers, so not the smartest thing to do - but it is an option.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
While you have the car up on a jack stand - with the offending wheel up in the air - you should be able to spin the wheel by hand and hear if the brakes are dragging. Sometimes if the rotor is slightly warped you would hear the friction.

You can also grab the tire and try to shake/move it. See if there is any unnecessary play in it.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Also rear pads will make noise. .

While driving instead of touching brake pedal,
Lift up on parking brake handle while holding in button.

This will just activate rear pads..

The inner pad has notches than must be inline with piston.

Also the rear calipers do have a guide pin..pin must be movable in housing..our fronts dont have that type

On front pads..the rattle clip is a piece of bent metal that holds tension to stop movement of pad..
Should be on pad where that pin slides in with e clip.

If you. Bend to far its ok..when installing caliper you will need to push up on them to get it on..

The round clips ..take pad off..with hand..try to turn them..they shouldnt move..if it does its bad..

These rings hold caliper on car..I have had 2 calipers come up and rub on wheel..

Watch aftermarket pads..

I also find..many boxed wrong..there is an inner and an outter..

Oem pad
20140127_103112.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread