Cobra making a noise. Please help

1badsilversvt

turn up the boost
Established Member
My car recently started making a small spinning sound from the front and starts speeding up as you get faster. It Doesn't always make the sound, it's comes and goes. Another thing is when it's starts making this noise, if you hit the brakes it automatically stops, then when you get off the brakes it will start back. I have taken both front wheels off and looked all over but can't find or see anything out of the ordinary. What do you guys think this could be?:shrug:

Last edited:

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
Have you checked the brake pads to see how worn they are? Could be the indicator letting you know that they need to be replaced.

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
A wheel bearing noise can be diagnosed by getting the noise to occur and then rocking the wheel back and forth or taking slow weaving type of motions with the car. The wheel bearing will get loaded and unloaded depending on where the wheel is in travel.

Usually they will make a growling type of noise.

SV

1badsilversvt

turn up the boost
Established Member
I have rocked the car back an forth while it's doing it but it doesn't seem to change any. It just sounds like a rubbing noise or something and gets faster the faster you get. Only way I can explain it is It sounds as the wheel is touching something at one spot and the faster the wheels spins the faster the sound gets. But remember when the brakes are applied, it quits. Thanks for replays guys. oh car has 47,600 miles

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
This might be an outside check, but does it happen at idle and change pitch when you rev at a cold start? I had an annoying squeak that ended up being one of the two RR double idler bearings going out on me. The noise would go away when the engine was warmed up. Replaced both bearings and noise free.

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
Most of the time it is a brake related issue, if when you apply the brakes the noise goes away or changes. I would pull the calipers off and inspect everything.

Last edited:

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Is there any judder when you apply light pedal pressure? I assume you can't identify which side it's coming from? Please be sure to update this thread when you do get it figured out.

1badsilversvt

turn up the boost
Established Member
No can't feel anything when I hit the brakes but it just goes away. I'm gonna be pulling the calipers off tomorrow or next day.

SxyMuffinSnake

Established Member
Sounds like you need a different brand of pads. Sounds like the tab on your pad isnt strong enough and its allowing the pad to move in closer to the rotor. Might wanna check the caliper pistons too they could be sliding.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Got an outside guess, but it could be the little boots on the caliper losing their seal. Double check them to see if there's grease leaking or a broken seal. I can't remember the real name of it or get a picture while at work but that could be a reason it's sticking.

Users who are viewing this thread