Cobra Jet at NHRA Race

mhoover

Established Member
I normally don't post on this site, mostly read, but I thought this would be worth posting.

My dad and I have an 01 S-10 with an LT1 that pushes about 575 HP. We run several NHRA Divisional and National Events each year and run anywhere from 10.0X-10.3X@130 depending on the class. I have seen the Cobra Jets many times at these races but never lined up next to one.....until now. The video speaks for itself

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axpzhLj2dus"]Doc Hoover Super Stock S-10 Bowling Green 8-26-11 - YouTube[/nomedia]

Matt

Last edited:

fred50stang

Established Member
They move out for sure. I dont think they 60ft very well. My dad races over in div. 5 and has to run one of those on a regular basis, its usually the Calvert guys. He has a 69 camaro...runs ss/ba or ss/ca.

kyhemi-dart

03 Zinc Cobra
Established Member
Well this ss/ car is a little more impressive..

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5roVYFI6oKY&feature=related"]Tasca Day Saturday 8.255 - YouTube[/nomedia]

mhoover

Established Member
stkjock said:
Looks like the CJ ran a 8.9x @ 154

you are correct with a 1.39 60' lol

They move out for sure. I dont think they 60ft very well. My dad races over in div. 5 and has to run one of those on a regular basis, its usually the Calvert guys. He has a 69 camaro...runs ss/ba or ss/ca.

Most I have seen have a small tire and never 60 ft more than high 1.30s. If they put a big tire like what we run they would be creeping on the door of 7.90s imo.

They dont even pull the front wheels hardly! Its crazy.

kyhemi-dart said:
Well this ss/ car is a little more impressive..

Tasca Day Saturday 8.255 - YouTube

They all could do that if they wanted them to....but you are def correct

Matt

mr2cam

Established Member
Do you run in an electronics class? It looks like you leave off the bottom bulb but your truck shifts by itself electronically. Either that or I missed you letting off your transbreak on the top bulb lol.

mhoover

Established Member
Do you run in an electronics class? It looks like you leave off the bottom bulb but your truck shifts by itself electronically. Either that or I missed you letting off your transbreak on the top bulb lol.

No electronics like a delay box or anything like that. 100% reaction time. Only adjustments you can make with transbrake button are mechanical by shortening or lengthening how far the button is pushed in. We have a CO2 bottle that sends a small shot of gas to the shifter that shifts it for us. All we have to do is set the shift points. And yes I bottom bulb it lol

Matt

mr2cam

Established Member
No electronics like a delay box or anything like that. 100% reaction time. Only adjustments you can make with transbrake button are mechanical by shortening or lengthening how far the button is pushed in. We have a CO2 bottle that sends a small shot of gas to the shifter that shifts it for us. All we have to do is set the shift points. And yes I bottom bulb it lol

Matt

Kk just checking, I use an adjustable transbreak button also, I may switch to a delay box next year, not sure yet though.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice S-10 you have there Matt. I saw in the other thread that your dad has a Cobra Jet. I was thinking maybe that was his lined up next to you. You didn't mention he was racing you, though, so it is probably someone else's CJ. Man do those flat out run.

mhoover

Established Member
Nice S-10 you have there Matt. I saw in the other thread that your dad has a Cobra Jet. I was thinking maybe that was his lined up next to you. You didn't mention he was racing you, though, so it is probably someone else's CJ. Man do those flat out run.

Thank you! We have a lot of fun with it! I am a mustang man at heart but that LT1 is so easy to work on. They had a CJ in the tear down area after the owner won class and there was parts everywhere! haha There would DEF be a learning curve with it!

We don't own a CJ but i would LOVE to own one! Ray Skillman ran 8.70@161 this past week and it seemed to be effortless. That was one of the smoothest launches I have seen. I'll upload the video to youtube so everyone can see. He was in front of me at Indy so I got a front row view of the car. :banana:

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread