Cobra intake mod.?.?

Badaz01

Established Member
Hey folks I was wondering if a custom intake job or just a port and polish job would be worth Messing with or create any meaningful HP gains. I currently have a jlt intake php intake spacer bbk throttle body long tube headers catted x pipe and straight pipes on through along with a 93 octane custom tune. Right now I’m at 310 rwhp and 318 rwtq.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't see anything really substantial at your power level but, hey, if you feel like doing it as a winter mini-project, go for it.

shurur

Established Member
Only hp gains are from you LT+.

CAI has pretty much been determined to help little...the most you can gain is from a K&N filter...and that is probably about 3 rwhp somewhere on the curve.

A March UDP set, with maybe a 49mm (2") alternator pulley to keep the alt spinning the same oem speed, will get you some RWHP.

This is the approved Todd Warren (na svt) NA recipe that I compiled based on his posts across the net.

NASVT Recipe fixed!!!
NA ~320 RWHP with 99-01 DOHC C-Head 4.6L:
K&N filter
OEM Cams
March damper
March hydraboost and WP pulleys
Long tubes
Hi Flow Cats/Cat Delete mid-pipe
Tune (canned..more $ for real tuner tune)

360-370 RWHP:
NA SVT custom cams properly degreed.
short runner. (only If running above 7k RPM)
Tune

As I think I understand it...FP, 39# injectors and 90mm MAF with retune can be added at this point to extract a bit more from the 4.6 and prep for a stroker

Last edited:

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Only hp gains are from you LT+.

CAI has pretty much been determined to help little...the most you can gain is from a K&N filter...and that is probably about 3 rwhp somewhere on the curve.

A March UDP set, with maybe a 49mm (2") alternator pulley to keep the alt spinning the same oem speed, will get you some RWHP.

This is the approved Todd Warren (na svt) NA recipe that I compiled based on his posts across the net.

NASVT Recipe fixed!!!
NA ~320 RWHP with 99-01 DOHC C-Head 4.6L:
K&N filter
OEM Cams
March damper
March hydraboost and WP pulleys
Long tubes
Hi Flow Cats/Cat Delete mid-pipe
Tune (canned..more $ for real tuner tune)

360-370 RWHP:
NA SVT custom cams properly degreed.
short runner. (only If running above 7k RPM)
Tune

As I think I understand it...FP, 39# injectors and 90mm MAF with retune can be added at this point to extract a bit more from the 4.6 and prep for a stroker

I gained power from my JLT CAI. (Into FW) it was the only mod i had for a year. At a local dyno day i made 8 peak rwhp from memory. Car was stock other then weld in flows from the previous owner.

shurur

Established Member
I gained power from my JLT CAI. (Into FW) it was the only mod i had for a year. At a local dyno day i made 8 peak rwhp from memory. Car was stock other then weld in flows from the previous owner.
Most metal intakes actuallly soak up heat..
With no added tune?
Then maybe only at peak RPM?
Useful torque/RWHP is more about area under the curve or good RPM bandwidth.

I don't want to argue with you, except to say that I trust Todd Warren (na svt) on the effectiveness of the CAI mod.

And then for me to say, we are all in this together...ok?

If OP is staying NA, he should look at the March UDP and pulley set mentioned..some have gotten 330 rwhp with the pre-cam recipe mods listed...this is probably due to luck of the draw with the oem cam assembly settings.

Last edited:

Badaz01

Established Member
I had all the mods I mentioned above minus the intake spacer and longtubes and dynoed 264 whp on a mustang dyno. Added the php intake spacer and it must have been the straw that broke the camels back. Same dyno went 298 whp. Added the LT’S and got 310 whp 318 rwtq.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Most metal intakes actuallly soak up heat..
With no added tune?
Then maybe only at peak RPM?
Useful torque/RWHP is more about area under the curve or good RPM bandwidth.

I don't want to argue with you, except to say that I trust Todd Warren (na svt) on the effectiveness of the CAI mod.

And then for me to say, we are all in this together...ok?

If OP is staying NA, he should look at the March UDP and pulley set mentioned..some have gotten 330 rwhp with the pre-cam recipe mods listed...this is probably due to luck of the draw with the oem cam assembly settings.

I was more referencing the stock intake with a K&N. I am not saying he is wrong or you. All I am saying is that I made 8 rwhp peak when I went back to the dyno a with a JLT CAI. That's really it. No tune or other mods other than weld in crappy flows. There are many variables that can go into this but it was my experience. I don't know what a stock intake with a K&N makes over the stock filter.

I had all the mods I mentioned above minus the intake spacer and longtubes and dynoed 264 whp on a mustang dyno. Added the php intake spacer and it must have been the straw that broke the camels back. Same dyno went 298 whp. Added the LT’S and got 310 whp 318 rwtq.

A intake spacer wouldn't add 34 rwhp. Something is up with that dyno. Truth be told I never tried one but Mach 1 guys use them.

Badaz01

Established Member
I was more referencing the stock intake with a K&N. I am not saying he is wrong or you. All I am saying is that I made 8 rwhp peak when I went back to the dyno a with a JLT CAI. That's really it. No tune or other mods other than weld in crappy flows. There are many variables that can go into this but it was my experience. I don't know what a stock intake with a K&N makes over the stock filter.

A intake spacer wouldn't add 34 rwhp. Something is up with that dyno. Truth be told I never tried one but Mach 1 guys use them.
Yea I don’t know what happened maybe first run was stock run and we lost track of it. I’d say that’s most likely what it was either way I’m satisfied for the moment with 310 whp and the 318 rwtq I ended up with in the end.

Badaz01

Established Member

Yea I don’t know what happened maybe first run was stock run and we lost track of it. I’d say that’s most likely what it was either way I’m satisfied for the moment with 310 whp and the 318 rwtq I ended up with in the end.

shurur

Established Member
Good stuff for NA folks.

I dyno'd 263 rwhp on dynojet with unrevised (unrecalled) '99 lower intake..with the AL flashing.
I replaced it with an 04 mach1 lower intake and plan to dyno just to see whether that helps.

I expect to make 270+ rwhp with that mod...supposedly that helps a bit.

I already have the March UDP and pulley set with the 49mm alt pulley ready to go on after that.
The UDP mods only help peak hp and extends the RPM range a bit.

I also have a 3/8" spacer that came with intake, but don't plan to play with it until after LT and tune.
I think it only helps a bit with torque and even then results seem mixed...or within the error of the dyno itself.

Last edited:

Badaz01

Established Member
Good stuff for NA folks.

I dyno'd 263 rwhp on dynojet with unrevised (unrecalled) '99 lower intake..with the AL flashing.
I replaced it with an 04 mach1 lower intake and plan to dyno just to see whether that helps.

I expect to make 270+ rwhp with that mod...supposedly that helps a bit.

I already have the March UDP and pulley set with the 49mm alt pulley ready to go on after that.
The UDP mods only help peak hp and extends the RPM range a bit.

I also have a 3/8" spacer that came with intake, but don't plan to play with it until after LT and tune.
I think it only helps a bit with torque and even then results seem mixed...or within the error of the dyno itself.
Yea I think the spacer is what put me into the 318 range on the torque I’ve read a lot of dyno sheets for n/a 99/01 cobras and it seems getting over the 300 mark as far as torque is a milestone in itself. Maybe I lucked out with the degree of the cams from the assembly line.

Users who are viewing this thread