Cobra Heads Up Display On Window Concept - Read This

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
Originally posted by Sailing2Smth
Is this engineer friend of yours gauging for interest before he puts the model in production?

Yes he is, this is exactly what he is doing. He is very talented, but knows that this will take some time, but mostly wants to know that his product, given a realistic retail price, would truly be received by the Terminators.

loose nut

Sofa King Fast
Established Member
Count me in...It would be cool if it was as plug-n-play as possible though...plugs that have taps/splices built in that replace OE plugs. I hate tracking wires, cutting and splicing!
Thanks. :beer:

imswheel

Quality SVT Poster
Established Member
heads up?

We have a heads up working in my 03. Here is how we did it,

AUTOTAP to pull data from the diag port (OBDSII) under the dash into a laptop. This actually creates any "virtual guage" that you want.

Using the video output on my laptop I set up my Pocket PC PDA as a 2nd monitor. This is done using a PDA accessory called a "FlyJacket". This displays the laptop's display on the PDA screen.

I reversed the display on my PDA using some shareware off of the internet so it displays in mirror image and we then set the PDA's brightness to max.

Velcro the PDA to the dash right above the speedo and you are there baby! Heads Up Display.

Down sides, Hard to read during the day and double reflection at night because of the safteyglass. I have been told I can buy a reflective clear plastic "Cling" to solve the visibility issues but have not found a source for it yet.

Up sides, AUTOTAP lets you create guages that match our green guages. (cool). The reflection is quite large, almost 10 inches square. (cool) The laptop is parked in the trunk so the only visible thing is the PDA on the dash and it is less than 1 inch thick. At night it is also very visible from out side of the vehicle especially from another car that for one reason or another happens to be lined up along side. (way cool).

I will admit that most of the time I stand the PDA up and use it like a display instead of bouncing the image off of the glass. I do this because I can switch guages by using the PDA's touch screen.

I usually view Fuel Presure, A/F trim (rich or lean) and 2nd air charge temp (Air temp after the blower) and I cycle from guage to guage by tapping the PDA screen.

Under 500.00 bucks?...........I don't think so. I already had everything but the FLYJACKET ($200.00) and it would be well over $2000.00 if you had to go out and purchase each item retail.

Very interesting topic!

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
Yeah. Ah. Interesting.

Heh. Not quite what this guy had in mind, but thanks for your input dude :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread