Cobra Engine Conversions

T A N K

So I can't get a mustang because insurance reasons, I'm 18 so I'd imagine it would be INSANELY high. So I was wondering if anyone has ideas on jdm or muscle cars I could possibly convert with a cobra engine. Preferably a foreign car because I feel it would be super unique but I can't find any that have the engine bay size for the massive cobra engine.

T A N K

So I can't get a mustang because insurance reasons, I'm 18 so I'd imagine it would be INSANELY high. So I was wondering if anyone has ideas on jdm or muscle cars I could possibly convert with a cobra engine. Preferably a foreign car because I feel it would be super unique but I can't find any that have the engine bay size for the massive cobra engine

T A N K

Okay Ima say this now but i go about things in a very unrealistic way, that being said I have no mechanical abilities at all, I grew up the only boy and my dad has no interest in cars and my friends for the most part know nothing about actually working on cars so if I was to do this in the future I'd be going off videos and google. I really really want to learn about working on cars so I need a project. Also my plan for my first car is im going to pay the monthly payments and my dad will be paying for the insurance and a good amount of the gas, that's why I need to do this on a car that doesn't have crazy insurance rates.

floodstang

Established Member
There is a company that makes a kit to put a V-8 in a Ford Focus. That's a car with cheap insurance rates.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Engine swaps aren't something for a beginner. You'll need to deal with wiring and all the little pieces. Depending on the vehicle you'll need to do some fabrication. If you really want it suck it up and pay the insurance. I did when I had a 94 Trans Am at 20 years old.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

T A N K

Engine swaps aren't something for a beginner. You'll need to deal with wiring and all the little pieces. Depending on the vehicle you'll need to do some fabrication. If you really want it suck it up and pay the insurance. I did when I had a 94 Trans Am at 20 years old.

Well I'm planning on paying for whatever car I get myself so that and insurance would be my whole part-time minimum wage check so I guess my plan was pretty ignorant and very unrealistic sadly. I'll probobly just end up going my simpler route and getting a 350z or g35 for now. Then down the road I'll get an actual cobra

01yellercobra

Established Member
Well I'm planning on paying for whatever car I get myself so that and insurance would be my whole part-time minimum wage check so I guess my plan was pretty ignorant and very unrealistic sadly. I'll probobly just end up going my simpler route and getting a 350z or g35 for now. Then down the road I'll get an actual cobra
Honestly that's not a bad thing. We've all been broke teens at some point in our lives. Having a goal will make you better yourself in order to reach it.

T A N K

Honestly that's not a bad thing. We've all been broke teens at some point in our lives. Having a goal will make you better yourself in order to reach it.

Well said man, I really appreciate the advice, for now I'm just gonna work on making the money and somehow learning more about working on cars lol

Zemedici

Established Member
Just buy a 2v and wrench on it for a few years, learn about cars, and when you're 20/21 jump into a cobra, like we all did.

You'd be surprised what insurance may cost though, have you gotten a quote? I've had cobras and new mustang GTs for the past 4 years, and I haven't paid over $150/mo for insurance fwiw, and I'm freshly 25 with a spotty driving record

Zemedici

Established Member

And I had a 350z at 17, then got my first cobra. Nothing wrong with the Zs, I loved mine

Mjn76

Established Member
your best bet would be to actually get quotes on insurance. I believe that insurance for a 94 to 01 would be relatively inexpensive depending on your circumstances. I had a 94 Cobra new when I was 18 and my insurance wasn't too bad, but I had a good record and lived in the suburbs so there was a low theft risk. at any rate I believe whatever the insurance is for a mustang or even a cobra would be it would be considerably cheaper to not only build the type of car you are thinking about but also to insure it

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I think you have lofty goals. Nothing wrong with that, but if you can't afford to pay insurance there is NO WAY your going to be able to pay for this kind of engine swap.

Hell, a lot of us here would love to put a 03/04 Cobra motor in something, but some of us don't have the budget, skills, tools or experience to pull it off.

I say you buy something cheap and use it as a stepping stone to get to your goals in the future.

My 21 year old step son is driving a 1997 base model (V6) Mustang. Him and his friends use YouTube, my tools and my advice to fix his car. He has changed the power steering pump, shocks, struts, brakes, and done a few other things to the car. He saved up and paid someone to change his rack and pinion.

He loves that car and wouldn't trade it for anything. However, he is ALWAYS asking me to drive my Cobra. Of course my answer is HELL NO, but one day he will have the money and experience to get his muscle car.

As someone mentioned, the majority of us here were broke out of high school and we worked, busted our @$$es and made sacrifices BEFORE we ever could afford to buy one of these cars.

Time for you to pay your dues son, before you receive the rewards.

Users who are viewing this thread