Cobra down :(

coolguy10786

Established Member
Drove the cobra to test and tune tonight and towed it home. On the second pass i lost power and coasted the 2nd half of the run, then started to lose oil pressure and immediatley shut it down.

Haven't drained the oil yet and good news is that the motor didn't seize, but has zero oil pressure. I hope the melling pump just took a dump, but i have a feeling its not the only problem. I will be amazed if it went and took nothing else.

Will keep you guys posted. Maybe looking for a new shortblock....

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
should have bought Naz's shortblock, that would have been badass..what was the time on your first pass?

Hopefully it isn't too bad of an issue and you can reuse your block, crank, etc...

coolguy10786

Established Member
should have bought Naz's shortblock, that would have been badass..what was the time on your first pass?

Hopefully it isn't too bad of an issue and you can reuse your block, crank, etc...

I know! Would've worked out beautifully lol. I tried to get it from him, but it sold quick!

First pass was a 12.5 @ i think 113 ish. Don't remember exact mph. Was spining pretty good in first still, but it was the first pass so tires were still cold. The car wasn't wanting to idle and made staging fun.

The night before last my alternator went out too :nonono:

Don't know exactly when i will be able to tear it apart because i have to get the cam locking tool first.

If the shortblock is toast, im trying to decide what i should do. I don't really want to spend too much so 324ci is out. I may drop the cr and put some GT cams in and put a whipple on later.

But I will worry about that once i know the condition of the motor.

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
I hate that feeling when you know somthing bad went out. in one sceond flat you have like a million thoughts about what to do next.
sorry to hear, good luck!

coolguy10786

Established Member
Well just drained the oil and didn't notice anything metallic in the oil, but the filter definitely had metal shavings in it. What worries me is that even if it was just the oil pump, all it would take is a few shavings to get past it and wreck havoc.

Trying to decide on what to do. I don't want to break the bank, but some things i have thought about are:

1. Replaced with built short block for n/a
2. Sell fr500, build short block with that money for either boost or n/a
3. Sell fr500, buy 03/04 shortblock, and eaton swap

I haven't worked prices yet, but i think at this point selling the fr500 will be wise to fund fixing the motor. Any suggestions? Nothing outrageous like turbo kit because it isn't going to happen.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Taking cost into consideration and your 91 Octane gas, I recommend a 10.5 to 1 compression stroker with a ported stock intake with your current cams and heads. The 91 octane fuel will limit your timing so increasing the CIs will help in the power production area. Your cams will have to be degreed for the added cubes but they will work just fine.

Last edited:

coolguy10786

Established Member
You said a melling pump? When I first read your post I thought it was an MMR pump.

-Mark

Yup its a Melling pump w/ billet gears. I went with it so i wouldn't have to worry about an oil pump failure lol!

I'm hoping there is at least a warrenty on it.

coolguy10786

Established Member
Taking cost into consideration and your 91 Octane gas, I recommend a 10.5 to 1 compression stroker with a ported stock intake with your current cams and heads. The 91 octane fuel will limit your timing so increasing the CIs will help in the power production area. Your cams will have to be degreed for the added cubes but they will work just fine.

We actually have 92, but i know what you are saying. This weekend i will pull the front cover, valve covers, and hopefully oil pan too and see what damage there is. If it is just the pump, i think i might be ok seeing that the motor didn't seize and there were no metal in the oil out of the pan.

Only thing that worries me is that i don't think i have ever heard of these motors losing the oil pump and not having other damage, but maybe i will luck out.

I am thinking the shortblock will be OK.

Good luck

I hope you are right! Sure would save a lot of money!

coolguy10786

Established Member
sorry to hear about the bad news.. Hopefully its nothing major..
damn that beat....hope for the best man
That sucks man with any luck it will only be the oil pump.
I hate that feeling when you know somthing bad went out. in one sceond flat you have like a million thoughts about what to do next.
sorry to hear, good luck!

Thanks for the support guys, i hope it works out! Pulling the covers won't take long, but looks like i get to drop the k member for a 5th time lol.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Only thing that worries me is that i don't think i have ever heard of these motors losing the oil pump and not having other damage, but maybe i will luck out.

Have you checked the sending unit or put a direct pressure guage on it to see if if it really lost pressure?

coolguy10786

Established Member
I have an autometer electric gauge on as well and both showed no pressure. Checked the wires and no breaks and still hooked up.

HeavyRightFoot

STRAIT TO THE TOP
Established Member
Maybe you accidently sucked up a Pontiac Solstice thru your intake system during your second run:shrug:...That would explain the metal shavings in your filter.

Users who are viewing this thread