Cobra dies when I try to accelerate.

Banshee06

Established Member
The car runs fine on the freeway as long as I hold the throttle even.
But At stop lights I have to ease if very carefully with the throttle or will start to sputter it will even die if I give it much gas. and then It is hard to start again. It doesn't throw any codes, My fuel pressure looks good, So now I dont want to drive it. I cant even begin to get into boost.
I though I found the problem which was someone had turn my Nitrous and my bottle heater switch to on. But the bottle wasn't turned on.
so I switched them off, but it still doing the same thing.
Anyone have any ideas what this could be.
The fuel has been changed about 8,000 miles ago.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is this happening when your charge temp goes up like you mentioned in your other thread?

Banshee06

Established Member
Is this happening when your charge temp goes up like you mentioned in your other thread?
it even happens when the charge temp is cool. but yes the charge temp did finally get to 150, but this happens even when it is 100

Banshee06

Established Member
I had just replace the plugs maybe 20 miles on them.
Do you think having the Nitrous swith on which pulls timing and adds fuel on boost did something to them.
Also I couldnt event begin to get into boost with this happening.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The nitrous only hits when you're WOT. Well, if it's set up correctly. It could possibly foul the plugs if you punched it and it dumped all of the fuel into it.

How are you watching your fuel pressure?

Banshee06

Established Member
The nitrous only hits when you're WOT. Well, if it's set up correctly. It could possibly foul the plugs if you punched it and it dumped all of the fuel into it.

How are you watching your fuel pressure?
Fuel pressure at 2000 rpms is at 50

Banshee06

Established Member
looking at the fuel pressure guage. also my wideband gauges goes fuel red to 20 when it dies.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I don't remember your whole set up, but if it's reading 50psi and staying there I'd say you have a fuel issue. It's supposed to change with load. If you still have a returnless system I would datalog FPDC and see where it's at.

Banshee06

Established Member
I don't remember your whole set up, but if it's reading 50psi and staying there I'd say you have a fuel issue. It's supposed to change with load. If you still have a returnless system I would datalog FPDC and see where it's at.
well since I can hardly push on the gas it stays there I can push on the gas hard at all since It dies almost when I ease on the gas.
I am just afraid if it dies when i do this that I will be stuck and have to be towed.

Banshee06

Established Member
Another thing is If I am not driving it and give it gas then it runs just fine it just when under load it wants to die and stopped on a hill taking off its even worse.

hotcobra03

Established Member
When was last fuel filter change.

Twice I’ve had issues running and filter was the cause.
I know cause I only touched filter.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Have you checked for codes even if no light on?

Of the 2 times I had filter cause issue.

I was all stock. And it would just fall on its face if I went wot.

Second time.

I had added a 4lb lower.

This time it would fall on its face when going into next gear. But it wouldn’t allow any type of acceleration. It sounded crammed at idle Once restated it was fine till next good load.

Po190 was stored yet no light

Banshee06

Established Member
Yes check codes and there are none.
I have a FRPS and I just now replaced that and I am checking the spark plugs they look like it is running lean.
So I am replacing them with new ones and gaping them to .028 since have 21 lbs boost.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I had the fuse for my BAP start to go bad and it caused this. It wasnt completely blown but it had gotten hot enough to cause issues but not hot enough to open up fully. Even if you dont have a BAP i would start checking your fuses and wiring that have anything to do with fuel for any issues.

01yellercobra

Established Member
well since I can hardly push on the gas it stays there I can push on the gas hard at all since It dies almost when I ease on the gas.
I am just afraid if it dies when i do this that I will be stuck and have to be towed.

I just reread it again, your pressure is high. At idle and part throttle you should be seeing 30ish PSI. Scan for codes as mentioned. Hopefully you get a code for the FRPS.

Banshee06

Established Member
I just reread it again, your pressure is high. At idle and part throttle you should be seeing 30ish PSI. Scan for codes as mentioned. Hopefully you get a code for the FRPS.

There are no codes. Pressure is 30 or so at idle 40-50 at 2200 rpms

Users who are viewing this thread