COBRA Cooling Mod

01COBRA2668

Established Member
Anybody know where to get the Chicago LDC cooling mod for our beloved 4v's? Every one I've found is on back order and my engine is almost ready to go back in. Your help is greatly appreciated!

ReCoil

Let it eat!
Established Member
Is this cooling mod really worth the trouble? I've read posts where some say it helps and others say it's just a waste of time and money.

JymBart

Established Member
LDC for me!

Is this cooling mod really worth the trouble? I've read posts where some say it helps and others say it's just a waste of time and money.

It's your car, ............. in the long run you'll need to make up your own mind.

Me, ... I have the LDC cooling mod.

JymBart

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
01COBRA2668, I posted this same thing in the thread you started in the New Edge section. However, in the hope that someday, somebody, with actual data about this part will poke around in these threads and see my justified skepticism, I'll repost it.

Actual data is much more valuable than speculation. The typical destruction of cylinder #7 and #8 is proven. The HCM's ability to reduce or eliminate this destruction is not. I don't know why this argument continues.

Anytime an aftermarket component that deals with horsepower or g forces is released, its performance is tested and retested by the community, through a variety of applications, to prove its worth. The HCM seems to slip through the cracks of this valuable gauntlet of accountability, jumps right onto every modular motor wish list, and out of your wallet. Weird.

If data exists that proves the worth of this mod, and my skepticism is incorrect, I would actually be happy.

Last edited:

JymBart

Established Member
01COBRA2668, I posted this same thing in the thread you started in the New Edge section. However, in the hope that someday, somebody, with actual data about this part will poke around in these threads and see my justified skepticism, I'll repost it.

Actual data is much more valuable than speculation. The typical destruction of cylinder #7 and #8 is proven. The HCM's ability to reduce or eliminate this destruction is not. I don't know why this argument continues.

Anytime an aftermarket component that deals with horsepower or g forces is released, its performance is tested and retested by the community, through a variety of applications, to prove its worth. The HCM seems to slip through the cracks of this valuable gauntlet of accountability, jumps right onto every modular motor wish list, and out of your wallet. Weird.

If data exists that proves the worth of this mod, and my skepticism is incorrect, I would actually be happy.

So this is actually just your opinion.

mu22stang

Established Member
My opinion about the HCM is...it's a band aid for a band aid. Terminator engines can blow up because of tight PTW (band aid for reducing piston slap from forged internals, I believe), speed and boost hungry individuals, and heat.

The lack of facts is not an opinion, it's a fact. Unless of course it isn't a fact, and I just haven't seen the facts.

01COBRA2668

Established Member
Mu22stang-

I understand your opinion but I can't see spending another svgs acct worth of money if I could save it with $200! I also understand that currently there is no effective removal of the coolant in this head like there is in the passanger side and therfore, I would like to try and even it out. You have car insurance dont you? You know YOU may never cause an accident but just in case another ass clown does you need to protect your ride...right? JUST IN CASE is better than I should have done this!!!

JymBart

Established Member
My opinion about the HCM is...it's a band aid for a band aid. Terminator engines can blow up because of tight PTW (band aid for reducing piston slap from forged internals, I believe), speed and boost hungry individuals, and heat.

The lack of facts is not an opinion, it's a fact. Unless of course it isn't a fact, and I just haven't seen the facts.

Do you want to run that one by us again? You still don't seem to understand that you're simply stating your opinion, ....... not facts. Share with us what makes you a expert.

mu22stang

Established Member
Do you want to run that one by us again? You still don't seem to understand that you're simply stating your opinion, ....... not facts. Share with us what makes you a expert.

An expert on what? An expert on revealing the completely blatant fact that NOBODY has tested the effects of a HCM?

Does it reduce the temperature of the cylinder head in the back 4"? 6"? 8" By how many degrees? Does it reduce actual cylinder temperatures? EGT's? What's the flow rate of coolant through the HCM? Can the flow of heat out of the cylinder head via the HCM outrun the flow of heat into the cylinder head from a high revving engine?

These are questions, not opinions, which have no answer.

JymBart

Established Member
These are questions, not opinions, which have no answer.[/QUOTE]

So since you do not have the answer you want, you've formed a opinion without any testing.

For me it's simple peace of mind. To each there own. Now why not go and find the answers to your questions? The OP asked where to buy the LDC cooling mod. Did you answer that question? The answer is No!

mu22stang

Established Member
My opinion is based on facts, or lack thereof. I think that's much better than basing my opinion on an opinion.

JymBart

Established Member
My opinion is based on facts, or lack thereof. I think that's much better than basing my opinion on an opinion.

Ya know you remind me what it's like having a conversation with a child. Now tell me how anything you've posted in this thread answered the OP's question?

merc lover

Established Member
If you've ever taken the heads off a 4V with some miles on it, it is plainly obvious that the driver's side head runs hotter than the pass. side.
How many degrees?
I guess we'll see.
I do know what you're saying about the testing, though. I was alarmed when I saw it so I'm making my own kit I'm not paying what they want for that. I will be tapping the port at the top rear of the head, and bushing it down to a 90 and a barb fitting, which will connect to a T in the upper radiator hose.

Users who are viewing this thread