COBRA Cooling Mod

01COBRA2668

Established Member
Anybody know where to get the Chicago LDC cooling mod for our beloved 4v's? Every one I've found is on back order and my engine is almost ready to go back in. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
Lethal sells them.

I kinda like the evenflow kit better. At first I liked the LDC because of ease of install but you actually create a bottle neck and the rear passanger fitting. The evenflow one goes directly to the radiator.

cobraracer46

Banned
Anybody know where to get the Chicago LDC cooling mod for our beloved 4v's? Every one I've found is on back order and my engine is almost ready to go back in. Your help is greatly appreciated!

You are wasting your money if you buy a "cooling mod" kit. Ford does not use this concept on its road race 4 valve modular engines, neither does Roush/Yates. Boss 330 racing also frowns on the "cooling mod" for the Cobra modular engines.

If I was worried about higher operating temps on my Cobra, I would run a larger aluminum radiator and an external add on engine oil cooler. I would also fully box in these components as well.

01COBRA2668

Established Member
Not worried about higher temps but after spending $12,000 stroking a new engine and adding various upgrades, I want to eliminate any and all issues that I can control! There are still dumb asses out there driving slowmaros and fire chickens and I can't control that!!!

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
You are wasting your money if you buy a "cooling mod" kit. Ford does not use this concept on its road race 4 valve modular engines, neither does Roush/Yates. Boss 330 racing also frowns on the "cooling mod" for the Cobra modular engines.

If I was worried about higher operating temps on my Cobra, I would run a larger aluminum radiator and an external add on engine oil cooler. I would also fully box in these components as well.

I tend to agree with you on your points.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I don't think the LDC is made any longer, but that is what I had on my car. Get the EvenFlo or Apten kit.

CobraRacer -

Just when you were starting to post a few replies that made sense you come along and post up this BS. Ford didn't install a Grigg's rollbar in their race cars, does that make yours a pile of crap?

-Kevin

Last edited:

01COBRA2668

Established Member

brkntrxn

Established Member
I have been getting the Z06 ready for the 2010 track season. My first weekend and Time Trial is in three weeks. With the recent install of Evo seats, rollbar, harnesses and fire extinguisher, I am ready!!!!

-Kevin

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member

Put some boost on a motor and tell me that? How can you argue that having a cooling mod is a bad thing?

cobraracer46

Banned
Taken from this article in MMFF:The Four-Valve Swap Power Struggle Upgrade Part 2 - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine
Many subscribe to the modular motor cooling mod--adding an additional connection on the rear of the driver-side head, and routing the coolant to either the front crossover or to the inlet of the heater core. Our engine builder, Al Papitto of Boss330 Racing, doesn't believe there's much advantage to this mod on a Four-Valve. Papitto says the cooling mod is probably more useful on Two-Valve motors, which are more prone to detonation and would benefit from the better cooling in the rear cylinders.

Here is a back shot of a Roush/Yates built 5.0 ford Modular engine designed for endurance road race applications.
138_0309_yates_20_z.jpg

As you can see, no "cooling mod" here. So the question that must be asked is if a endurance road race Modular 4 valve Ford engine that is built to run a a demanding race like the 24 hours of Daytona does not need a "cooling mod" Then when is this "cooling mod" needed?

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Established Member
Not to mention a LOT of boosted 99/01 engines melting #8 and #7. I personally melted #8 in my 3rd engine while the other pistons all looked good. There is only one common denominator in that equation.

I'll also believe what MM&FF and 5.0 and etc write when they start doing more endurance type of research and writing. Running 1/4 mile engines and basing all of your facts on those results is short sighted.

cobraracer46

Banned
So your telling me that 03-04 cobras dont have problems with melting that back piston?

Well, you have ask yourself, what is melting the pistons? More often than not, some monkey tuner dyno hero:smmon: is being reckless by installing an overly agressive tune with too much timing and too lean of a air fuel ratio.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread