Cobra Clones

SilverSnake91

Established Member
I have always liked the look of the 93 Cobra but could not afford the price of one. I have never tried to pass my car off as a 93 cobra and when asked if it is I tell them its a 91 with the Cobra ground effects. I don't have any pictures hosted but if you look on pages 80-84 of the Feb. issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords you can see a few Pictures of mine.

black89lx

Established Member
flame suite on

seriously i dont think ther is any thing very sppecial at all about a 93 cobra. i mean wow they have minor styling changes and minor performance enhancments.

if i was in the position to buy a quick mustang in 93 i would have baught an lx or gt. changed the cam, heads, and intake. and beat most cobras silly. for the same price.
and for a little more went to a dech or saleen gfx which look better.

flame suite off

sled

Established Member
black89lx said:
flame suite on

seriously i dont think ther is any thing very sppecial at all about a 93 cobra. i mean wow they have minor styling changes and minor performance enhancments.

if i was in the position to buy a quick mustang in 93 i would have baught an lx or gt. changed the cam, heads, and intake. and beat most cobras silly. for the same price.

flame suite off
its all about being different. the Cobra is different thats all. it also makes a way better starting point for the performance end. all i had was a cam, bolt-ons and gears at one point and i could blow away most other cars on the street. my Cobra with that set-up could run neck and neck with a stock 03 all day. not bad if you ask me.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
black89lx said:
flame suite on

flame suite off

Plus, you have to look for the bang for the buck factor. You got high flow (for the time) heads, intake, roller rockers, plus 24# injectors. Back in the day, a decent set of heads (there weren't that many around at the time) would run you $1400, plus an easy 600 for a ported TRUCK intake. Don't forget the rear disk brake conversion which would run you 600+.

My buddy, who bought his car new, faced the same issue - get a coupe and mod it, or get a car with factory Mods. He chose the latter. The cobra was simply a better platform to start from with mods, as it already had the bigger tb/MAF/injectors/intake, etc. And, the ride in these cars is worlds different than an LX/GT - not nearly as rough and more "refined".

PJM99

Established Member
93Cobra#2771 said:
And, the ride in these cars is worlds different than an LX/GT - not nearly as rough and more "refined".

..........and the tranny feels better IMO!

Cobrasnake302

Established Member
I have a "Fake Snake" I tell people it is NOT REAL.. I came across a totaled '93 Cobra, and used all the Cobra parts I could save, then bought the rest from other people, and sprayed it Mystic like the '96. I don't think there is anythin wrong with it, especially if you tell people it's fake. I also did alot of mods to the car, which if it was a real Cobra, I would feel bad doing alot of mods because of how rare they are.
The one thing I don't like that people do to their REAL cobras is convert to 5 lug and or put newer style cobra wheels on it, I think the real cobras should be kept real, especially with the wheels unique to a '93. I love the real cobras, and if I could find one for a cheap price, believe me, I'd buy one, I just dumped a ton of money on my car w/stroker motor and blower. I wouldn't be able to afford doing that to a real cobra because the car itself would cost a ton more.

SVT10TH#1721

Established Member
Im thinking about cloning my car into a cobra but Im not gonna put any badges on it and not say its real I cant stand when people do that when they sit there trying to say its real and you know its not..

svtdriven

Established Member
that is a good point to mention how the cobra was a top rated car in 93. The cost of converting a gt/lx to cobra specs is now really cheap and cost effective. Except maybe for the body kit, I'm not sure I'd pay high dollar for a fiberglass kit. Someone should sell a urethane set.

Mine is becomming less and less original. I do still have a lot of the factory parts, but I seriously doubt I would ever put them back on. I do like the style of the 93 cobra wheel, but I wouldn't go back to 4 lug for it. I am hoping that someone someday makes a 5-lug 17x9.5 deep dish style wheel replica though. got my fingers crossed!

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
Clones

black89lx said:
flame suite on

flame suite off

What I think is even more significant about Cobra owners is that no one got lit when you turned the 'Flame suite' on. Its just a great one off car and we just want to appreciate it. I think I'm turning my Cobra into a clone: there really isn't too much on it that is original anymore. :thumbsup:...oh, is 9 sec. in the 1/8 mile the same as 18 sec in the 1/4? ;-)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread