Cobra Clones

svtdriven

Established Member
I don't mind as long as it's a different color! hehe! I like seeing the cobra body in silver, blue, or green. you will always find people trying to pass off fake shelbys, cobras, integra type-rs, GM ss variants, or the various big block muscle cars.

what's wierd is that you can take a mustang fastback and make a clone out of it and gain value! not as much as a real shelby, but a lot more than a regular fastback or convertable!

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
svtdriven said:
I think I am going to do a canadian cobra clone! sound good? what do I need? the link to that guys car didn't work.

That will prove rather easy to do in some ways, is all you require for exterior mods is this trunk decal/badge avail. from LRS.
http://secure.50resto.com/product1.cfm?SID=1&Product_ID=2243&Category_ID=1093
df0997.GIF

To make one fully, you need a metric speedometer, rear defroster, daytime running lights, rocker panel protectant coating, block heater, and English and French Decaling, almost everywhere.

91lxcoupe

NOTCH U
Established Member
Hope I don't pi$$ someone off w/ my cobra brakes, 98 cobra wheels, and 93 cobra intake :-D . I hate it when people put the snake badges on gt's and such myself.

There is a Orange 93 rep around here and it looks awesome.

I hope to own a real 93 one day.

93 COBRA

Established Member
Clones don't bother me. I've often thought about building a 93R clone. But the way Ford should have built it... with a 351 and 400+ horse power.

At a MCA car show a few years ago I overheard a guy say my 93R was a fake because the snake was facing the wrong way. :lol:

Last edited:

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
Or better yet. It doesn't have white face gauges.. so it's not real.

Even with the internet coming of age in the last 10 years, it's wild how people are still passing around bad knowledge about these cars. I hear it when easedropping on conversations at carshows. crazy isn't it??

WYSIWYG

Established Member
I feel that people making clones no matter what vehicle it is. It is a cheap way of trying to make a buck if they do not disclose the fact it is a repro.

It is an honor that some one whats to copy a vehicle. But look at all the law suits Shelby is fighting to prevent everybody making AC Cobra clones.

The Canadian "Cobra GT" if you look at the window sticker "Not for sale in USA"

Last edited:

The Greek

Established Member
Hey guys Im new here I have owned my car for 6 yrs though.
Its a 91 Cobra Gt (Canadian) I will never pass it off as a real one.
i like the cobra badge alot better then the 5.0 badge I took off the sticker that said cobra on it. I have corrected many people on the fact that a real cobra was build in 93. I dont understand why people here would get pissed off about people putting the cobra badges on. Its Like people putting a Saleen sticker or a steeda sticker on there cars. On a side note I have also put on a SVT badge on but I have SVT parts on my car as I have cobra parts on it too

asusmilinbob

Established Member
Not to "rile anybody" but I think you'd have to know absolutely nothing about a 93 Cobra...to purchase a clone...thinking it was a Cobra unless someone cut out the vins from a factory cobra...and went to the trouble to replace all of the cobra specific parts...which would inturn be more costly than buying a low mileage darn near pristine example. New Cobra clones dont bother me...its the eleanor clones that give me chills...ugh... A fello at a local show had a 93 mustang gt vert...cloned into a 93 vibrant red cobra... thats one I wish Ford would've made... JW's 2 cents.

5.0snake

PA Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
93Cobra2771 said:
I don't mind someone doing the ground effects/wing, etc, but when they put the snake badges on, it starts getting on my nerves. That's just me, though...

and me!! :beer:

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
I have had people tell me my Cobra was not real because it did not have the white face gauges and one guy looked under my car where the tailpipe is bent by the wheel and say it was not real. Don't know what he was supposed to be looking for there, but I guess he thought there was some difference. I showed him my certificate and the VIN on several of the panels and he decided it was real.

WYSIWYG

Established Member
Most people do not know how to identify a '93 Cobra, even the magazines get it wrong.

Ford did not start white face gauges until '94. Also the Cobra emblem faces different directions on the '93. In '94 Ford started using "directional" Cobra emblems.

cobra93teal

Psycho Pilot Racing
Established Member
ok well i am building a clone right now from my 90 lx hatch....and i am going to put badges and everything on it....but the reason why i am doing it is becuase i plan to mod the shit out of it and race it....i did own a REAL 93 teal cobra and felt bad for changing parts out on it.....i mean you take all the cobra parts off the car(motor/rad/suspension.etc) then you have a cobra body thats it :) so i do not plan on telling people it is the real deal but when i pop a motor with the bottle or blower i wont lose any sleep at night :) JUST MY 2 cents as a cobra owner

strangedemon

Established Member
I'm turning my car into a "fake cobra" I love the look of those cars. There was one that sat down the street from me, but he got a very good offer for it so he sold it. People have asked if mine was a cobra and I said no of course. It will never be a real cobra. I understand that, but it doesn't hurt to dream. lol

SVTFanatic

Established Member
It bothers me when people at carshows park by mine and try to pass theirs off as a cobra, when I'm staring at their rear drum brakes. Or their 85mph speedo. Then It really bothers me when people think mine is fake. I had a guy last year try to tell me that mine wasnt real because "ford didnt make a vibrant red 93 cobra, they only made them in teal and black" This guy was supposed to be an "expert" After showing the production #'s Printed from fordsvt he left me alone.

- mike

SVT GT

Established Member
It seems that some people would like a cobra, saleen, roush...etc..etc..but cant afford it, inital payment and insurance. So if they want to have the cobra package and do it themselves why not, its their car. Who are we to say what they can do or not do with their cars. I dont mind them as long as they tell you its not a cobra. Also if its done correctly and have all the parts plus the horsepower to back it up and then some, why not. But I would never pay the price of a cobra for it. Once my 03 cobra motor is installed its getting v6 badges. With this type of mentality, it says I shouldn't put v6 badges on my car.

Users who are viewing this thread