Cobra Bumper Question

Mustangbadboy

Established Member
2E0907DB-E8B5-4AC0-A21F-BBD1E806C676.jpeg
Anybody know how to get rid of these streaks on my cobra bumper? I tried polishing and it doesn’t work. It looks like they are permanently in the plastic. Any help would be great

FIREBALL

Established Member
Hard to tell in this photo if this is a oem New Edge Cobra rear Bumper (the Cobra lettering seems way to big) and what ever those streaks are if they cant be wet sanded, cut and buffed or polished out than you need a repaint and/or new bumper.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Hard to tell in this photo if this is a oem New Edge Cobra rear Bumper (the Cobra lettering seems way to big) and what ever those streaks are if they cant be wet sanded, cut and buffed or polished out than you need a repaint and/or new bumper.
That's an 03/04 bumper. Usually that part is a flat black. I don't think you can really polish.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Looks like some type of chemical contamination that etched into the valance. I sent @NastyGT500 (Scott) a text and asked him to check out your thread when he gets a chance. He's a professional detailer, and a great one, so hopefully he'll be able to help you out if the issue is fixable. I've personally never seen streaks like that before.

The streaks don't appear anywhere else on your car? How about the lower side skirts?

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Nothing was 'on top' of those streaks/marks? Just the stains?

Very strange, looks like some type of liquid or something was on there, dried and left a residue behind. First thing that came to mind is hard water stains from a sprinkler, but that would have been on additional areas of the car.

What have your tried to polish off? What product and what method?

I see that it is black plastic, it may be susceptible to 'high spots/bright spots/shiny spots' if you polish it. See how it reacts/responds.

As of now I would lightly machine polish and see your results.

You could also soak the area with an all purpose cleaner, let it dwell, and see if that removes any of it.

Then wipe it down with a paint prep/diluted IPA mixture.

I would then treat the area with a trim restorer product afterwards.

You can also ceramic coat over some of the products and call it a day (or two).

Hope this helps, let me know if I can be of any other assistance, and if you can post up some close up/zoom shots of those spots.

Regards,
Scott

Mustangbadboy

Established Member
Looks like some type of chemical contamination that etched into the valance. I sent @NastyGT500 (Scott) a text and asked him to check out your thread when he gets a chance. He's a professional detailer, and a great one, so hopefully he'll be able to help you out if the issue is fixable. I've personally never seen streaks like that before.

The streaks don't appear anywhere else on your car? How about the lower side skirts?

I appreciate this! No the streaks are only on the cobra bumper. Its mind boggling that this would happen on the plastic trim

Mustangbadboy

Established Member
Nothing was 'on top' of those streaks/marks? Just the stains?

Very strange, looks like some type of liquid or something was on there, dried and left a residue behind. First thing that came to mind is hard water stains from a sprinkler, but that would have been on additional areas of the car.

What have your tried to polish off? What product and what method?

I see that it is black plastic, it may be susceptible to 'high spots/bright spots/shiny spots' if you polish it. See how it reacts/responds.

As of now I would lightly machine polish and see your results.

You could also soak the area with an all purpose cleaner, let it dwell, and see if that removes any of it.

Then wipe it down with a paint prep/diluted IPA mixture.

I would then treat the area with a trim restorer product afterwards.

You can also ceramic coat over some of the products and call it a day (or two).

Hope this helps, let me know if I can be of any other assistance, and if you can post up some close up/zoom shots of those spots.

Regards,
Scott

I bought Meguairs plastic trim restorer...I have not tried it yet but I am hoping it removes these streaks. If not I will definitely try out your method...fingers crossed!

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Citrol will blow right through those contaminants. Clean thoroughly afterwards and then apply your new dressing. Done deal.

Mustangbadboy

Established Member
Ok guys....so I used Meguairs black plastic restorer on the cobra bumper and....it didnt do anything. Stains are still there. It seems to me like the previous owner left water streaks on the bumper and these have stained right on the plastic...its as if the color of the trim on the water marks have faded...cant scratch or use anything to rub it off.

I may consider trying other options? Otherwise it seems like I may have to get it painted to matte black.

FIREBALL

Established Member
Wet sand, 600 --800 grit sand paper and then buff out with a wheel using cutting polish-----If that doesnt work it needs to be painted or new bumper. There is not going to be any magic stuff that takes those streaks out, better go to a reputable paint and body shop but they are going to do or tell you the same thing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread