Cobra and STI

Seth

Established Member
Right now I own a 2001 Cobra. I drive 2-1/2 hours to and from college (Geaux Tigers! LSU!) about once every other month. As you can imagine, the insurance isn't exactly cheap on the cobra. But I am lucky enough to have my parents pay for my insurance. :) (I bought the car though and just put it under their name.) I track my car about twice a year and more if I can.

So im wondering what you guys think about the STI, specifically 04/05 and 06. Would the insurance be any cheaper for my parents? I know I'd get more MPG. Haha! How would it handle on the track compared to the cobra? On the cobra I got Nitto 555 275 front and 285 rear, offroad x-pipe, hawk street/track brake pads, and MGW short throw shifter.

What are yalls thoughts?

dino lord

itching to build...
Established Member
Much better handling. Don't expect any better mpg. My Mach with 410s got better highway than my intake, exhaust, tune 05 STi. They're fun as hell, though.

dino lord

itching to build...
Established Member
Mach saw 26-27 highway, usually 19-20 mixed (right foot mod). STi never once got better than 24 mpg on a tank. And that was cruise control at 70 up 45.

SlowSVT

Established Member
STi typically get about 17-18 mpg. My 04 gets about the same gas mileage as my Outback turbo.

Seth

Established Member
26-27? How in the world are you getting that MPG with highway cruising at 70 and with 4.10 gears?! Unless you're traveling for hours and slipstreaming 3 feet behind a 18-wheeler. The best I got in my 01 cobra was 27 and that was cruising at 60 for 6 hours and slipstreaming every once in a while.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
First of all, it's called drafting, this isn't need for speed. Second of all, no you didn't, you have to be within inches to reap the benefits.

dino lord

itching to build...
Established Member
26-27? How in the world are you getting that MPG with highway cruising at 70 and with 4.10 gears?! Unless you're traveling for hours and slipstreaming 3 feet behind a 18-wheeler. The best I got in my 01 cobra was 27 and that was cruising at 60 for 6 hours and slipstreaming every once in a while.
Mach has a more efficient motor, lighter car, less drive train loss, and a higher (numerically lower) fifth gear compared to the 99/01 Cobra...

Users who are viewing this thread