Clutch Won't Engage

TrueBlueCobra01

SVT
Established Member
So I'm coming home from work just going through the gears in my 01 Cobra. As I pressed down on the clutch (would have been 3rd gear) I heard a crack right when the peddle went all the way in. The clutch would not engage so I just coasted to a stop in neutral. Had the car towed to the shop I always go to and they're lookin at it right now.

What do you guys think? At first I thought it was the clutch cable breaking, but who knows.

Ford%20suck.jpg

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
How is the pedal effort? Soft, firm, normal? Will the car go into gear while the engine is running?

The situation you describe sounds like the clutch wont disengage, rather than wont engage.

TrueBlueCobra01

SVT
Established Member
How is the pedal effort? Soft, firm, normal? Will the car go into gear while the engine is running?

The situation you describe sounds like the clutch wont disengage, rather than wont engage.

Pedal effort is about the same. Maybe a TINY bit firmer but barely noticeable. And yes, I can shift into gear just as easily as before, but when I release the clutch its all neutral.

If the cable broke your clutch pedal would be flapping with no tension at all!

Yeah, that's what the mechanic said. The pedal still moves the same as it did before, with no flapping at all.

F*ckin mystery :shrug:

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Hmm.. Get the car in the air, pull the inspection plate and make sure there's no pieces of anything. Have someone press/release the clutch and make sure the forks and everything seem to be working alright. Sounds like the clutch disc simply isn't grabbing. Whether the disc itself is shot or the pp is shot it sounds like it's time for a replacement.

NVR_LFT

OTW racing
Established Member
Don't mean to thread jack, but the same exact thing just happened to my car tonight. Only thing is my clutch is brand new, it has 1100 miles on it and it was broke in properly. Please let me know what the problem was when you get it back from the shop...

MrBrain

Corner carver
Established Member
Sounds like either the input shaft to the gearbox or that the clutch hub has broken. It can happen, but I'd say it requires pretty much abuse to break, maybe not at the time it broke but sometime.

Just pull out the gearbox, guessing will not help in this case ;)

99blkGt

Established Member
i have something similiar, car only goes into gear when a tightn up the cable real tight, i have a aftermarket cable, quadrant, and firewall. I will be going back to oem, hopefully this will fix it

2001SVTsnake

Established Member
ya..

had a stock clutch. pedal dropped going into 3rd blew the clutch...

put a spec stg2 with (~310rwhp) going into 3rd (powershift) clutch pedal drops. i slam it into 3rd sayin f this again. get it home and pop the plate off and metal pieces and tranny fluid everywhere on the garage floor

SVECobraR

Established Member
Broke the drive shaft?!?!?... where did it break at?

CF drive shaft, where the shaft is epoxied to the pin that connects it to the differential. I don't know if i should say i technically broke it, but regardless it spins freely and my car wouldn't move.

Silver_01Cobra

Established Member
Sorry to bring this back up or thread jack, but My 01 cobra is doing the very same thing Truebluecobra01's is doing except the clutch is alot more stiffer then before. As I was driving home in 5th doing about 70 I noticed the rpms shot up really high like someone just pushed in the clutch and it would never engage again after that.

Last edited:

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
?? I'm not sure how a broken quadrant would disengage the clutch? I'm thinking something in your drive train broke. If you can, get it in the air and look around. Put it in 1st gear and try to spin the rear wheels while looking at the drive shaft, half axles, etc. If the wheels spin along w/the drive shaft, it looks like it's time to pull the tranny. I'm guessing the issue will need to have the tranny pulled anyway since your pedal effort increased, but take a look at the other items first. Good luck!

01yellercobra

Established Member
?? I'm not sure how a broken quadrant would disengage the clutch? I'm thinking something in your drive train broke. If you can, get it in the air and look around. Put it in 1st gear and try to spin the rear wheels while looking at the drive shaft, half axles, etc. If the wheels spin along w/the drive shaft, it looks like it's time to pull the tranny. I'm guessing the issue will need to have the tranny pulled anyway since your pedal effort increased, but take a look at the other items first. Good luck!

+1

Your clutch is probably done.

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
im just reading the description again, pushed the pedal in and felt a crack and now the clutch wont engage. You see where a broken quadrant could be to blame right?

Silver_01Cobra

Established Member
It would go into gear with the clutch pushed in but when I let off the clutch and tried to put it in gear it wouldn't go into gear anymore. So it definately sounds like a the clutch is gone, but I wont know for sure until I drop the transmission. Thanks for the help

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread