Clutch upgrade

stang910

Established Member
I wanted to see what everyone is upgrading their clutch to or what would be most recommended. I want something that will hold 600rwhp everyday, but can hold up to some drag runs around 700rwhp a few times a year. I like the Mcleod RXT, but don't want to pay that much for a clutch. I've been looking at the Spec 3+, the Exedy 600 and the OEM Boss clutch.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
slagburn logged nearly 30K miles on his stock clutch @ over 580whp with a whipple (not 25K and THEN put the whipple on, he had the car for less than 2 weeks before the whipple was installed so the stock clutch had ALL hard miles on it)and he was running DR's at the track(not sure how often we went but I know it was a decent amount of passes). He just replaced it with a boss clutch as they are doing quite well holding power. If i go manual that is what I plan to do, run the stock unit till its dead then go with a boss clutch.

D.T.R

Established Member
if you're going with a Boss clutch, you'd need a boss flywheel correct?
Which also means, you'd need a crank re learn, right?
How much is the Boss clutch + flywheel?

RSKtakR

Established Member
subscribed... I also am thinking about replacing my clutch soon.. Wouldn't mind a BOSS clutch, but I don't care to change the flywheel and do a relearn.

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
my stock clutch was toasted after a few passes on slicks. pressure plate wouldnt release either and broke 5th. i went to the rxt and its amazing. feels better than stock. launched at 6k the other night......driveshaft lost that fight.
lol

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
based on what alot of terminator guys have dealt with and what kurt borton and justin burcham said, the twin disc can be a little easier on the shifts than the harsh engagement of a single disc. therefore MAY help prolong tranny life. terminator guys i know ran specs broke gears faster thats all i know

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
There has been some controversy on here about broken mt82s and SPEC clutches. Enough to keep me away from them.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
if you're going with a Boss clutch, you'd need a boss flywheel correct?
Which also means, you'd need a crank re learn, right?
How much is the Boss clutch + flywheel?

Any parts change in the bell housing at all needs a relearn.

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
What's a relearn?

Your not in the bell housing when you swap a clutch, dont you just drop the trans then unbolt the PP and flywheel and put the new one on? Who makes a Twin disc for 11+ Gt's?

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
There has been some controversy on here about broken mt82s and SPEC clutches. Enough to keep me away from them.
Link to threads?
I suspect it's not a specific clutch, but the increased clamping force of an aftermarket clutch wreaking havoc on the weak internals of the transmission.

subscribed... I also am thinking about replacing my clutch soon.. Wouldn't mind a BOSS clutch, but I don't care to change the flywheel and do a relearn.
Even if you put a stock clutch back in, there's a really good chance you'll have to do a relearn. It's not a big deal.

Who makes a Twin disc for 11+ Gt's?
Centerforce, Mcleod, Spec, etc.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
What's a relearn?

Your not in the bell housing when you swap a clutch, dont you just drop the trans then unbolt the PP and flywheel and put the new one on? Who makes a Twin disc for 11+ Gt's?

Oh really? I don't know what you call the large opening in the front of the trans where the clutch sits, I call it a bellhousing. Per the workshop manual if you change anything at all in there on a manual or auto you need to do a misfire monitor relearn.

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
mcleod rxt. you can see the crank sensor when you change the clutch. i didnt do a relearn
2012-05-08_19-37-50_526.jpg

D.T.R

Established Member
mcleod rxt. you can see the crank sensor when you change the clutch. i didnt do a relearn
2012-05-08_19-37-50_526.jpg

is that the stock flywheel? did you remove it at all?
if all you did was replace the clutch and never touched the flywheel i wouldn't think you'd need to do a relearn.

stang910

Established Member
Lots of love for the boss clutch. That's was what I was going with, but thought about it too much and decided against it. You guys are pushing my back to it though.

Users who are viewing this thread