Clutch Time _ Flywheel Advice

K2AHollywood

Established Member
Alright so its been a super long time since I have kept up on this car and cataloged what it does and doesn't have on it so bear with me. Due to a major accident involving the DD the Cobra is back to full service and of course its time for a new clutch (which I blame entirely on this stupid MM Quadrant and Firewall adjuster). So i want to talk about keeping that set up or going back to stock and flywheels.

Ill be going with the SPEC 2+ clutch kit, also buying a Ford Racing or Tiemkien TOB. (has anyone found this kit for less than $380?)

So that takes us to flywheels - who has actually changed them and to what? And was it worth it. At first I was like well hell yeah Ill just switch to and Aluminum (I think Fidanza was the proffered back in the day) but now I am reconsidering. I'm not sure it will make a huge different and I am thinking I will just refinish out stock steel one (or does these have those inserts you have to buy new).

Secondly, should I ditch this MM setup? I can honestly say I didn't see a whole lot of 'performance' gain from it, and I think it just provided and uncomfortable, ever-changing clutch experience and has prematurely finished off my rig.....Also considering swapping someone the stock pieces for these.....maybe.

So lets have it - thought, opinions, experience :beer:

Last edited:

sdg97232

Established Member
I have a fidenza aluminum flywheel and centerforce dfx clutch in my mach and don't really like the setup as my mach is my DD. From a performance stand point ohh yeah the flywheel made a difference (I installed it with my t56 swap and an aluminum driveshaft) the engine rev's so much easier now and really climbs through the rpm's quickly and the car pulls HARD.

With that being said now we come to stop and go driving that our DD's spend most of their time doing and this is were this combo isn't so hot. The heavier steel flywheel crates more inertia at lower turning speeds thous it will pull the car away from a dead stop easier with less rpm's. The aluminum flywheel will require more rpm to pull the same load meaning you will have to rev it more to smoothly pull the car away from a red light.

When I 1st finished my mach I had to relearn to drive it, it acted nothing like it did before it went under the knife. Even with 4.10's if you bog it and let out the clutch it bucks like a bull but if it gets to much rpm it darts away like I'm racing someone. It took me awhile in the seat to get the feel for it, if you're not looking for every once of performance from the car and are going to be using it as your DD for a while I'd say stick to steel.

Dhenderson

Established Member
My experience is completely different from the poster above. I put in an '03 Cobra aluminum flywheel and Centerforce dual friction clutch in my '01 Cobra dd. It had a 3.73 gear and what a difference from the stock clutch/flywheel! I had read all the supposed problems on the internet with an al flywheel on the street, but decided to try it. To my surprise it was EASIER to start from a stop than an iron flywheel. With the stock flywheel when you let the clutch out the engine rpm came down slightly and then would rev up. With the aluminum it would rev right up from a dead stop without the slight rpm drop. I also didn't have the hanging rpm problem between shifts like before with the heavy iron flywheel. The engine was noticeably more responsive with the aluminum. The above poster may have had a different experience due to the dfx clutch and it's "grabbiness". I will never have a manual Mustang without an aluminum flywheel. Remember the '03-'04 Cobra comes with the aluminum flywheel, is heavier than the '99-01 Cobra, a 3.55 gear and there is no driveability issues with those cars. I think clutch selection definitely plays a part.

sdg97232

Established Member
My experience is completely different from the poster above. I put in an '03 Cobra aluminum flywheel and Centerforce dual friction clutch in my '01 Cobra dd. It had a 3.73 gear and what a difference from the stock clutch/flywheel! I had read all the supposed problems on the internet with an al flywheel on the street, but decided to try it. To my surprise it was EASIER to start from a stop than an iron flywheel. With the stock flywheel when you let the clutch out the engine rpm came down slightly and then would rev up. With the aluminum it would rev right up from a dead stop without the slight rpm drop. I also didn't have the hanging rpm problem between shifts like before with the heavy iron flywheel. The engine was noticeably more responsive with the aluminum. The above poster may have had a different experience due to the dfx clutch and it's "grabbiness". I will never have a manual Mustang without an aluminum flywheel. Remember the '03-'04 Cobra comes with the aluminum flywheel, is heavier than the '99-01 Cobra, a 3.55 gear and there is no driveability issues with those cars. I think clutch selection definitely plays a part.

Yes clutch plays a big roll however when the 3650 was in my mach I had the stock flywheel and 10 spline dfx in the car with no issues. The drivability issues witch really isn't an issue more of me learning the setup didn't start until the t56 went in with the fidenza and aluminum drive shaft. There is no question that its a nice performance upgrade but with my car it hindered the driveability "slightly"......with that being said my cobra has an ram aluminum flywheel and rxt twin disc with the viper spec t56 and it drives like a dream when the setup was in my buddies cobra. My point was the difference in driving characteristics between the old combo to the setup in the car now was night and day, "my" car was easier to drive daily with the old setup.

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
Didn't install mine....but I have the McLeod Al flywheel and street clutch.
No complaints.
I'll probably upgrade to the McLeod street pro clutch (500HP) someday and keep my AL flywheel.
But I'm staying NA and probably will never go (much) over 500 at the flywheel.

IMO The AL flywheel is like the AL DS in that it is a seat-of-the-pants mod and not very quantifiable; You get it because you want it.

I will say that it (AL flywheel and DS) makes the car "feel" lighter somehow..for lack of a better way to put it

Last edited:

Richter888

Established Member
I have a fidanza flywheel with Spec stg 2 clutch. I havent told my personal friends this, but when one of them wants to ride along, I usually offer them the chance to drive. They think I'm just trying to be a good host if you will. Its really because my left leg cant stand it and the car isnt that easy to manage. Kinda trying to wear the clutch out to give me an excuse to change it....

Honestly though, my car didn't really feel that different with an aluminum flywheel. The clutch doesn't slip one bit under hard acceleration at my cars current power level (see sig). I've put this clutch through its paces to.

Shurur is right though. You really wont notice that much of a change with the aluminum flywheel. The clutch is going to make or break your setup honestly IMO.

I have a FIORE quadrant and firewall adjuster. I like it so far. Cant wait to driver her when I get back from my deployment.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
Great information everyone, I appreciate it. So is the 03/04 Stock Aluminum flywheel cheaper to pick up than say the Fidanza? I have yet to look at prices on this yet so I’m not sure what to expect. I’m just so frustrated with my current setup that and I’m playing with time. But I have to say this stocker has been great, it’s almost totally worn out and still doesn’t slip at all – so I expect nothing less from an upgraded version. Does anyone know that actual weight different between our stock ones and the AL?

I have a fidanza flywheel with Spec stg 2 clutch. I havent told my personal friends this, but when one of them wants to ride along, I usually offer them the chance to drive. They think I'm just trying to be a good host if you will. Its really because my left leg cant stand it and the car isnt that easy to manage. Kinda trying to wear the clutch out to give me an excuse to change it.....

Richter, I know how you feel when it’s not enjoyable trying to manage your vehicle; that’s how I feel with this firewall adjuster and quadrant, so far I haven’t heard any feedback on people liking or disliking it, or defending it. I’m starting to think it was wasted money. Also SPEC seems to say that the 2+ has a slightly lighter pedal than stock, are you not finding this to be the case?

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
I have the Fidanza aluminum flywheel and the Ram HD clutch. Definitely takes more to get the car moving than w/ the steel flywheel. Car revs faster and stays in the rpms better too. Also no hang in rpms after shifting like with the steel wheel.

I did all this when I upgraded to a T56 and aluminum driveshaft. I would never switch back. I don't DD the car either.

smitty2919

Established Member
I did mine with a stock steel Ford racing one matched with a RAM HDX clutch, UPR FW adjuster and quadrant.

Doesn't take any special driving skills and I don't have to worry about revving to the moon to get it to move. For a DD stick with a full weight FW. BTW, mine is a true DD.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
I run an 03 cobra FW and ford racing j shaft. I have no probs starting off from a stop, though I do have 4.10s which help in that respect. I have also had a similar setup in the car the last time I owned it, with 3.27s and I don't recall it being any more difficult to drive.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
I run an 03 cobra FW and ford racing j shaft. I have no probs starting off from a stop, though I do have 4.10s which help in that respect. I have also had a similar setup in the car the last time I owned it, with 3.27s and I don't recall it being any more difficult to drive.

So the 03/04 Flywheels are interchangable with our setups? After asking that before I remembered they have a different tranny and I though a different disc size. As I have been getting the different feedback I have been looking at the AL options and @ $400 i may take the pass. Buuuuut maybe if I source an 03/04 from a junkyard......Anyway can anyone confirm the compatability with the stock 3650 tranny, bellhousing, 8-bolt crank ect?

sdg97232

Established Member
So the 03/04 Flywheels are interchangable with our setups? After asking that before I remembered they have a different tranny and I though a different disc size. As I have been getting the different feedback I have been looking at the AL options and @ $400 i may take the pass. Buuuuut maybe if I source an 03/04 from a junkyard......Anyway can anyone confirm the compatability with the stock 3650 tranny, bellhousing, 8-bolt crank ect?

Yes you can run the 03-04 FW........my old azure blue 04 mach had the 03-04 cobra FW and clutch. You can run whatever 11" clutch you want with it.

shurur

Established Member

As I understand it, some of the earlier T45 transmissions were a concern because they had 10.5"....but even my '99 T45 took an 11" even though some documents say it isn't supposed to.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
99/01 cobras can use the 03/04 aluminum FW. If you get a used one make sure you also get the steel ring that goes under the flywheel bolts also and dowels for the pressure plate with it.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Actually, unless something has changed, the 03 fw is not intended to be serviced. That is, not resurfaced and the steel friction surface, which almost all al fw have, is not replaceable.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Not sure if it was never meant to be resurfaced, but def not with replacing the steel insert on, you'd have to drill out all those rivets.

Dhenderson

Established Member
McLeod made the oem cobra aluminum flywheel. They will replace the steel insert for $150 plus shipping. If you already have one that is cheaper than new.
The T45 Source - Proven, reliable T45 Transmissions has the Valeo 03/04 Cobra flywheel for $250. That is what I had and it was a quality piece.
The aluminum weighs around 11lbs and the iron 01 Cobra weighs around 25lbs.
The aluminum is also more input shaft friendly for the stock 10 spline input when running through the gears WOT.
I'm amazed some people say they didn't notice much difference after switching. It was VERY noticeable in my Cobra.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
McLeod made the oem cobra aluminum flywheel. They will replace the steel insert for $150 plus shipping. If you already have one that is cheaper than new.
The T45 Source - Proven, reliable T45 Transmissions has the Valeo 03/04 Cobra flywheel for $250. That is what I had and it was a quality piece.
The aluminum weighs around 11lbs and the iron 01 Cobra weighs around 25lbs.
The aluminum is also more input shaft friendly for the stock 10 spline input when running through the gears WOT.
I'm amazed some people say they didn't notice much difference after switching. It was VERY noticeable in my Cobra.

Wow that's a steal of a deal. Looks like I can do an AL upgrade and still not bust the budget

Users who are viewing this thread