Clutch recommendation!

Wallace7666

Established Member
My car will be ~550 hp when my build is complete. I have a Spec 3+ clutch waiting to go in but after reading several reviews, a lot of people were complaining about pedal effort in daily driving. Though I dont daily drive my cobra I do take it to work about once a week and on a lot of cruises and occasionally hit some stop and go traffic. My question is for those of you who have this clutch or have had it in the past, will the pedal effort be drivable in daily driving? Will I need to up my leg workout from once a week to twice a week in order to have the strength? Its a brand new clutch still in the box with aluminum flywheel so I guess I could sell it and buy a different one if need be. Any suggestions/input is appreciated, thanks.

weaselp1

Established Member
I am not sure about the spec 3 being a good daily driver, but everyone around here uses the Mcleod RXT and gives it great reviews. There are a couple of guys using the centerforce DYAD also. Both seem to be able to handle the HP and still retain great drivability.

Good luck!

trogdor_2002

trmn8td
Established Member
Mcleod all the way, hands down. I never liked the pedal feel of the Spec. I have heard nothing but good on the Mcleod. Spend the extra bucks and do it right. A friend of mine had a Mcleod and thrashed it regularly with no problems. As far as a Centerforce I had a DFX at one time and the clutch was smoked at 10k miles on a pullied car. Not sure about the twin disc setup. I will recommend that when you do a clutch DO NOT replace the throwout bearing with anything but a Ford Racing unit. Don't install the packaged unit. 03-04's are known for giving issues with the TOB (squealing, squeaking, rattling). Avoid this and install a FRPP TOB. They are designed much better than the packaged units and don't seem to give as many bearing issues. When I do a clutch again on my Cobra, it will be a Mcleod. The only reason I'm running a Ram right now is that I bought the car that way. (this is my third cobra)

Last edited:

Franco

Established Member
I just had the spec 3+ installed. Only put about 30 miles on the car because of snow and weather but I can say that the pedal effort is less than stock. Very comfortable. Also note that I did not order the low pedal effort. So far I like it. It does chatter but I have read that it goes away after break in

Wallace7666

Established Member
I just had the spec 3+ installed. Only put about 30 miles on the car because of snow and weather but I can say that the pedal effort is less than stock. Very comfortable. Also note that I did not order the low pedal effort. So far I like it. It does chatter but I have read that it goes away after break in

Interesting, keep me updated about the chatter. And you think the pedal effort is honestly less than stock? Do you have a firewall adjuster?

Franco

Established Member
Interesting, keep me updated about the chatter. And you think the pedal effort is honestly less than stock? Do you have a firewall adjuster?

Stock firewall adjuster, new FORD TOB and PILOT BEARING. It feels the same if not better than stock. Def not hard or annoying to depress. I will update about chatter next time I take it out. Gonna be hard not to get on it for the next 500 miles but I would rather break it in properly

Wallace7666

Established Member
I will probably keep the 3+ and see how it is. I probably put 1000 miles on my car a year so if it is rough I should be able to deal.

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
I had a Spec 3 in my old SB that was installed by the previous owner. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it had a very on/off feel and took some practice to take off from a stop. Other than that no noise, low pedal effort, great holding power etc.

I now am running a DYAD in my OW car, while its expensive it is a very nice piece. The dyno sheet that came with mine said it had 1330ft of torque holding capacity. The clutch is very harsh the first time you back it out of the garage after install but gets better with every engagement. I'm at over 300 miles now of break in and its almost stockish except the low pedal effort and extreme holding power.

Last edited:

weaselp1

Established Member
I had a Spec 3 in my old SB that was installed by the previous owner. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it had a very on/off feel and took some practice to take off from a stop. Other than that no noise, low pedal effort, great holding power etc.

I now am running a DYAD in my OW car, while its expensive it is a very nice piece. The dyno sheet that came with mine said it had 1330ft of torque holding capacity. The clutch is very harsh the first time you back it out of the garage after install but gets better with every engagement. I'm at over 300 miles now of break in and its almost stockish except the low pedal effort and extreme holding power.

Glad to see you are loving that DYAD cj428mach. I am considering the DYAD and the RXT ...would love for a longer term review once you get more miles on it.

03' White Snake

Established Member

I put the 3+ in my car last year. I did not go with the LPO option. I did a FRPP TB, new cable, fw ajuster and quadrant from MM. My pedal effort is less than stock.

The 3+ is a very grabby clutch, its either on or off. Takes a little bit of getting used to but once you do its great.

Franco

Established Member
I put the 3+ in my car last year. I did not go with the LPO option. I did a FRPP TB, new cable, fw ajuster and quadrant from MM. My pedal effort is less than stock.

The 3+ is a very grabby clutch, its either on or off. Takes a little bit of getting used to but once you do its great.

Good to know. As I have stated only have 30 miles on it so still unsure of it however I had an act clutch in my 02 gt and that was too grabby so I guess I will get used to it. I just hope it doesn't chatter as people have stated

03' White Snake

Established Member
Good to know. As I have stated only have 30 miles on it so still unsure of it however I had an act clutch in my 02 gt and that was too grabby so I guess I will get used to it. I just hope it doesn't chatter as people have stated

I have no chatter from mine. I was doing full pulls on mine after 400 miles of easy break in driving.

centerforce

Established Member
I am not sure about the spec 3 being a good daily driver, but everyone around here uses the Mcleod RXT and gives it great reviews. There are a couple of guys using the centerforce DYAD also. Both seem to be able to handle the HP and still retain great drivability.

Good luck!

The DYAD will definitely work. It has holding capacity of up to 1300 lb-ft so even if you change your plans down the road, your clutch should be able to take it. Another benefit that it has over other multi-disc setups is the fact that it's quiet. Once its broken in it's basically silent. Lastly, the pedal effort for the DYAD is pretty close to stock in most applications. In some applications its actually lighter. If you have any questions about anything then definitely feel free to shoot us a pm!

Users who are viewing this thread