Clutch Recommendation Question

SRBCitrusCobra17

Established Member
Hello, now that the rebuild is underway I am sure I will be frequenting this forum much more in the future. My motor is out for a rebuild. I know the current clutch is fine but I am considering replacing it since everyting is off the car. Mine makes about 525ftlb of tq at the wheels. So I was considering a McLeod clutch. I am sure there are several opinions on this one, but I would love to get some input. I put a McLeod clutch in a fox body I used to own years ago. Thanks for any info.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
RXT here, nice clutch. Probably overkill for 525hp but nothing wrong with overkill especially if you’re planning more mods

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I can recommend one not to do! lol Spec 3+ unless you like some chatter in first/reverse.

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
I can recommend one not to do! lol Spec 3+ unless you like some chatter in first/reverse.
Facts. It’s a great clutch that holds the power extremely well but **** me sideways does the clutch chatter in reverse drive me insane. I would still recommend it based off of how well it’s been for me minus reverse.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Hello, now that the rebuild is underway I am sure I will be frequenting this forum much more in the future. My motor is out for a rebuild. I know the current clutch is fine but I am considering replacing it since everyting is off the car. Mine makes about 525ftlb of tq at the wheels. So I was considering a McLeod clutch. I am sure there are several opinions on this one, but I would love to get some input. I put a McLeod clutch in a fox body I used to own years ago. Thanks for any info.

just a recommendation besides the clutch itself, based on my experience...

make sure that you have an aftermarket firewall adjuster/quadrant in the car (if you don't have one already)

the oem plastic stuff does not play nice with hipo clutches, regardless of the pp.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I had the RXT on 2 different occasions great clutch especially for racing but mine chattered in reverse, especially in my inclined driveway, and in first when i try to drive it out easy, drove me nuts. I am on a Mantic feels great but chatters as well, not sure if its a bad install or what? very frustrating especially for what its co$t. its like you have to find that happy medium when when rolling out.

blwn89gt

Established Member
I went with an RST because from what I read people have claimed it’s better for just street driving. If and when I replace it I’ll just go rxt because most people I’ve talked to who have had both say the rxt is still not bad for just spirited street driving.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I've read and heard the same regarding the RST, the material the disk is made of is more forgiving making driveability better, and it should hold up to 700hp with no problem. I switched to Mantic because of the sprung hub but like i said i still get chatter.

04oxfordvert

Established Member
I have a spec 3+, and I don't have any chatter. I had to have a shop install it as I blew the factory on the dyno so after reading all the chatter issues I pulled the cover to make sure they put the right clutch in. I like it

Sent from my SM-S918W using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Nickgonzo6!

Established Member
I had the RXT on 2 different occasions great clutch especially for racing but mine chattered in reverse, especially in my inclined driveway, and in first when i try to drive it out easy, drove me nuts. I am on a Mantic feels great but chatters as well, not sure if its a bad install or what? very frustrating especially for what its co$t. its like you have to find that happy medium when when rolling out.
Did you resolve that reverse chatter on a RXT bc i also have an incline driveway.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I've read and heard the same regarding the RST, the material the disk is made of is more forgiving making driveability better, and it should hold up to 700hp with no problem. I switched to Mantic because of the sprung hub but like i said i still get chatter.
Had both RST and RXT currently. The RST was extremely smooth, zero chatter. I have just a touch on occasion with the RXT.

My Eaton/Nitrous cobra pushed right through the RST, smoke rolling out going down the track.

Cool thing about the McLeods is that they are rebuildable. When I cooked the RST I sent it back and they returned it as an RXT.
IMG_3304.png

01yellercobra

Established Member
My car came with the RXT. It was still being broken in when I bought the car. It would chatter a little on take off if the RPM was too low. But I'm sure that was also because I was learning to drive it as well. It's been smooth since I finished breaking it in. I'll admit to occasionally just letting the clutch out a little to slide the car back and forth in the garage a couple feet without giving it RPM and it doesn't chatter.

Taught both of my kids to drive a manual with it with no issues.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Had both RST and RXT currently. The RST was extremely smooth, zero chatter. I have just a touch on occasion with the RXT.

My Eaton/Nitrous cobra pushed right through the RST, smoke rolling out going down the track.

Cool thing about the McLeods is that they are rebuildable. When I cooked the RST I sent it back and they returned it as an RXT. View attachment 1832940
Agreed on all the above and yes if you are running your car, then i definitely would lean towards the RXT, I had mine for over 3 years and beating on it in the summer at the track it definitely responded well. Plus i love that soft pedal.

cobracide

Established Member
RXT all day long unless you baby - and I mean baby. Couldn't wait to get rid of that shitty slipping RST and upgrade to RXT. Maybe you'll get the RST and it's dialed in perfect and holds 525. Good luck with that.

Users who are viewing this thread