Clutch Pedal Vibration

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
No, but that happened on my car as well when it was new. It seems to have gone away. How many miles on your car? After about a thou, is when mine stopped doing that so badly.

pgordon

Established Member
I had this problem with my 2000 gt that I sold and it is just starting with my cobra. They are self adjusting to a point. You can put your foot under it and pull up. If you hear a click that means it just adjusted. If you do not hear a click than it is not loose enough to be adjusted with the stock setup. I will probably get a firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant which will eliminate the anoying vibration, and help shifting.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by 03ShadowCobra
Mine did it. Dealer did something to the clutch cable and all was good. Just bring it to the dealer.

03Shadow - can you find out exactly what they did? It could be helpful, thanks.

03_silver_coupe

Established Member
Originally posted by Black2003Cobra
No, but that happened on my car as well when it was new. It seems to have gone away. How many miles on your car? After about a thou, is when mine stopped doing that so badly.
I have 17,000 on my miles. I has done it a tad in the past but not too noticeable but now it is violent. Even when the car is at idle it just vibrates and sounds like there is a loud ticking noise coming from the back of the engine. Push the clutch down and it stops.
ANyone think it could just need an adjustment.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Ah, Clutch Chatter is bad. It can be caused by a few things:

1) Overheating the clutch (it's a brake, only bigger). Ride or feather the clutch too much and this will happen. Have the flywheel turned.

2) Contaminants. Oil, grease, or other contaminates will cause the clutch to shake badly.

3) Bad throwout bearing. Bad bearings cause a flat spot in the spinning of the clutch. A fast thunk-thunk feeling will be present.

stang99

Mine was doing exactly what you are describing and it turns out that the clutch, TOB, and TOB retainer were all toast. My shop pulled the tranny and found all of this out. It sounds as if you may need to have the tranny pulled to see what's up. It is annoying to drive the car with the noise and vibrations and it will get worse with time. If you have to replace the clutch, the Spec 2 feels really nice in my car, although I have not driven it very far. Get an adjustable quadrant simultaneously or before you invest in a new clutch if you intend to have the new clutch last.

Stalker

Established Member
Mine did that recently (~12k miles). I took it in and the dealer replaced the whole transmission. Take it in and have someone check it over.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Mine did this as well, also had a high pitched squeal with high RPMs. Took it to the dealer and they said the trout bearing collar was broke. Replaced my tranny, clutch, and a few other things. Now - No noise, no vibration, but the clutch is much lighter and burns with hard acceleration and quick shifts.

03_silver_coupe

Established Member
Originally posted by PlatinumCobra

3) Bad throwout bearing. Bad bearings cause a flat spot in the spinning of the clutch. A fast thunk-thunk feeling will be present.

Mine was this case. Actually the piece that holds the TOB in place broke so the TOB was just bouncing around when the clutch was not engaged causing the clutch pedal to vibrate. The retainer, I think it is called, can't be ordered alone so they are putting a new transmission in my car.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I know that sounds like a silly observation but why is Ford replacing the entire transmission for a simple $2 part???????? I'm confused. Even the Ford price for a tranny has got to be more than $400??. Help me out here. It's like replacing the engine for a spark plug problem.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
So all you guys that had bad TOBs that caused this vibration also noticed a squeal, I assume? Mine never made any noise, so I'm gonna assume that wasn't it. Anyone else have it go away for the most part? (Mine will still do it, but only rarely.)

03_silver_coupe

Established Member
Originally posted by PlatinumCobra
I know that sounds like a silly observation but why is Ford replacing the entire transmission for a simple $2 part???????? I'm confused. Even the Ford price for a tranny has got to be more than $400??. Help me out here. It's like replacing the engine for a spark plug problem.

They said they couldn't just order the piece that holds the TOB in place. Don't know why. I'm happy with getting a new tranny.

03_silver_coupe

Established Member
Originally posted by Black2003Cobra
So all you guys that had bad TOBs that caused this vibration also noticed a squeal, I assume? Mine never made any noise, so I'm gonna assume that wasn't it. Anyone else have it go away for the most part? (Mine will still do it, but only rarely.)

My TOB is ok I think. The clutch pedal vibrates due to the piece that holds the TOB in place. Mine broke and it allowed the TOB to bounce causing the clutch pedal to vibrate, per Ford tech.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
TOB, had the same thing twice. The TOB was the part causing this both times. Black03

Users who are viewing this thread