Clutch pedal play

bssmith1220

Established Member
I've recently had a McLeod RST, 26 spline input shaft, adjustable pivot ball, lethal tob sleeve, new stock clutch cable, tob, and lightened steel flywheel installed. The car already had a fiore firewall adjuster and quadrant on it. I have a fair amount of free play/slop at the top of my clutch pedal, like maybe an inch of so. I feel like that should not be there. Should I get a quadrant with more than one hook to take up the slack in the cable.....I read that worked for someone else. Any other things to check? The trans also seems fairly notchy/hard to shift. Could this be the slack in the cable not disengaging the clutch all the way? MGW shifter and new GM synchromesh fluid in trans btw. Thanks for any input!

John M

Blue Oval
Established Member
can you get someone to depress the clutch so you can see how much its pressing on the p/p, is your firewall adj maxed out?

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
Judging by the shifting issue, I'd say you need to tighten the cable more. Currently have this issue with my Mccleod street pro. It got better when I maxed my firewall adjuster (next step is a new clutch cable for me). The OEM setup has the TOB in constant contact with the PP iirc.

derekmac1989

Established Member
There is usually a small "spacer" that goes on the pedal end of the cable and takes up that slack. If it's a new clutch and new cable with the adjuster in almost all the way it should be grabbing pretty low and not have any play in the pedal

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
As a rule of thumb, adjust so there is about ¼-½ inch of freeplay on the pedal. You should be able to push your pedal in by hand before there is resistance. Then fine tune it in a parking lot so the pedal grabs/releases where it best suits you.

3xBlackCobra

Established Member
I have the same issues. Adjusting the clutch cable helped.

Have you tried the anti venom mod for the notchy shifting? I have the lock washers so I'm just waiting to get it on a lift. The results seem mixed based on what I've read

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
This is the correct answer.

As a rule of thumb, adjust so there is about ¼-½ inch of freeplay on the pedal. You should be able to push your pedal in by hand before there is resistance. Then fine tune it in a parking lot so the pedal grabs/releases where it best suits you.

Users who are viewing this thread