Clutch Issues and Noises

MIZ

Established Member
So I just bought the car and am very new to cable clutches. My clutch has started making a loud chirping sound like a cricket at the top of the clutch before it engages. It also makes a rattling sound which i thought was the cable bouncing off the cylinder heads but that doesnt seem to be it. In trying to fix the noise i found that all of the supercharger bolts were LOOSE, are any of these things common? If so whats the fix, also I know i have a firewall clutch adjuster, but i dont have the slightest clue how to adjust it. Im thinking this is my issue, just need an adjustment.

Thanks

fastback brian

Established Member
chirp noise sounds like the throwout bearing, maybe the rattle noise could be the guide tube broken off.... loose bolts are not really common on these cars...fire wall adjuster is pretty simple, turn the adjuster wheel in, clockwise, will loosen the cable and put the clutch pedal travel lower to the floor board.. turn the wheel out, counter clockwise, will tighten the cable and bring the pedal travel higher up... usually adjust the cable so the clutch is starting to engage with the pedal about 2-3 inches off the floor.. BUT, it varies with different clutches and driving styles...

MIZ

Established Member
Thanks! What and where is the guide tube? ANd the previous owner said there is a spring kit? that is located under a small cover on the trans? Know anythihng about that, it sounds like that may be where my sound is coming from. Weird that the chirping is the TOB, he said he just put some new heavy duty one in with the spec 2 clutch.

biggair1

Biggair1
Established Member
The chirp is a T/O bearing and the rattle is your T/O bearing sleeve riding on your clutch forks and input shaft. The sleeve is pressed into the trans from the inside and the bearing slides on that. The original sleeve is a two piece with a crap weld that breaks. Get a one piece sleeve from lethal and a ford bearing. I just did mine and check out the how to section here and get the step by step pictures. I think the worst part is the top bolt on the starter. good luck

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

The chirp is def tob based on your description. The rattle, does that ever go away? Does it happen only when idle or only when driving? Does it change when depressing the clutch?

You could take the inspection cover off and see the guide tube and use a long flat head and tap the guide tube to see if it is loose. And while you are under there, you should see the ring gear on the flywheel. Tap that as well and see if it is loose.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread