clutch issues/advice

TokenBlackGuy

Established Member
Fellow MACA brothers and sisters,

after 28,000 miles, my clutch is on it's last legs. when i get on it, the car bogs like i have my foot on the clutch and gas. the revs jump up and it seems like the cobra wants to spin tires. i've used search and read about firewall adjusters, flywheels, resurfacing flywheel, different stage kits, pressure plates, TOB etc. it all sounds French to me. Can someone give me the basics needed to get back to running right? Money's tight due to buying new home, riding mower, etc.

The only mods I have is exhaust, jlt intake and a predator (performance tune)

Thanks for the input.

Travis

TRBO VNM

based on money being tight, here is what I would do as a temporary solution....

I have a used stock flywheel, clutch and PP from Carter's car(NeedCobra) and it only has 5500 miles on it. I know someone was interested in this a while ago, but I haven't heard anything since, so as far as I am concerned and probably Carter, you can have it all for probably 150 bucks if you can pick it up. I would check into getting the flywheel resurfaced, but probably no need since the clutch was fine before and low miles.

I would then spend the money on a UPR triple hook quadrant and fiore fiewall adjuster. I can get those for you as well. this would keep cost down for now and allow you to save for something better in the future.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Travis, I think your decision should hinge on what your plans are for your Cobra. The stock clutch is underated IMO and can handle some decent horsepower levels and some reasonable track use. But, if your future plans are to significantly increase your horsepower levels and show it off on occasion, you may want to consider an upgrade to a Centerforce DF or DFX, a Spec 3, or something comparable to these clutchs.

Good news is that the aftermarket clutch kits for our cars have gotten a little competitive in the past year and you can get some pretty good deals out there from some of SVTP's supporting vendors. If you do decide to go aftermaket, may want to consider purchasing your clutch and getting the intall from TRBO VNM or Wiseguy......Both are excellent mechanics and will take good care of you, MACA Style!

Wiseguy

Established Member
I think you should upgrade and be done with it. Stocking Ram and Centerforce 10 spline.

Users who are viewing this thread