Clutch/Input Shaft

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I am going to be pulling the trans for a clutch and input shaft change soon.

I have the 26 spline clutch and I am about to order the input shaft. I will be replacing my throwout bearing since it chirps.

Do I also need to replace the TOB sleeve, is it worth going to the lethal sleeve? And is the pilot bearing something I should replace?
Will I need anything else for this job, clutch alignment tool, shims for the shaft?

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Everyone recommends the billet sleeve. I’m on the Stock one with a 26 spline input shaft, no problems so far.
I’d change the pilot bearing while you’re in there. You could use the input shaft as your clutch alignment tool if you put it in the trans after. Just a thought.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Everyone recommends the billet sleeve. I’m on the Stock one with a 26 spline input shaft, no problems so far.

that is good, esp if you have many miles on it, but i think that you may be in the minority.

the stock stamped steel piece was known very early on for cracking near the base. in fact it was such a common failure when the cars first came out that ford issued a tsb on it, which replaced the whole front cover.

so basically my recommendation is just going by what i have read and heard over the years. my thinking too is that since you have it apart and are changing the input shaft anyway, take care of them both at the same time since the billet piece is relatively inexpensive.

my local tremec dealer told me that strength-wise, cobra spec'd t-56's are very stout, however that is one of the few weaknesses that should be addressed.

Users who are viewing this thread