Clutch Fork Keeps popping off the pivot ball

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
Hi guys, happened once, replaced the clutch, pivot ball, pilot bearing, TOB, and fork and about 1 month later it popped off again. Any clues as to why it keeps doing this?

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
evidently you're jamming gears like a madman :beer:

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Do you side-step your clutch? How much play do you have in your clutch cable? When you installed the replacement fork, are you sure both fingers of the spring went behind the pivot ball? If you are careful, you can slide it back on w/o removing the tranny. Since you've already replaced it, you know it slides on from the side.

Rusty67

Established Member
I can't see any reason for this to happen under normal conditions. Things that come to mind off the top of my head are that the fork wasn't siting right on the pivot stud in the first place or that the cable was not adjusted/installed properly and pulled the fork in a funny direction until it wore out the spring. The only other thing I can think of is that the bell housing is damaged and the pivot stud is loose in the created some sort of play and the fork eventually pops off. If the problem is the bell housing you can provably just put a helicoil in the hole and put it all back together unless the damage is really bad.

I don't think there is any getting around having to take it apart to look.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
I finally got a chance to put it on a lift to replace the clutch cable and figure out what happened. As I suspected, the clutch fork keeps popping off the pivot ball. I can pop the fork back on the ball, but if I work it back and forth about 4-5 times, it inches off until it pops off.

I'll try to see if I can get a scope up there to inspect the fork/ball. Is a pivot ball/fork common enough for local part stores or dealerships to have on hand?

Last edited:

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
I had a issue close to this....My clutch fork kept sliding off of the ball. My issue ended up being that pivot ball was worn.. I replaced the fork and the pivot ball and issue was gone.

I see you already said you replaced the all the parts. When you disengage the clutch how far does the fork travel? Any signs of it hitting the bellhousing?

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
I had to call around, but I found mine at a dealership w/in 25 miles from home.

That's great, thanks a lot.

I had a issue close to this....My clutch fork kept sliding off of the ball. My issue ended up being that pivot ball was worn.. I replaced the fork and the pivot ball and issue was gone.

I see you already said you replaced the all the parts. When you disengage the clutch how far does the fork travel? Any signs of it hitting the bellhousing?

Frustrated, I just pulled the transmission again to see if I could fix it. I can play with the fork with the transmission off and have it inch itself off the pivot ball every time i move it back and forth.

My pivot ball looks like it might be the problem; it's maybe worn. I'm not sure what would constitute worn with one of these, but it definitely wouldn't pass if it were a bearing. There is visible wear but it is still round for the most part.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I can play with the fork with the transmission off and have it inch itself off the pivot ball every time i move it back and forth.

Is there still some grease on the pivot ball? It's odd that it moves off a little every time you move it back & forth (OK, Captain Obvious statement!). My pivot ball was showing signs of wear, but the fork never came off by itself. Do you have any gouges on the far side of your pivot ball that would prevent the fork from sliding back to its resting spot? I suggest a good dose of synthetic grease in the pivot ball cup when you install your new ones. I was frustrated taking my tranny out once -- you must be "torqued"!! Good luck! :beer:

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I sprayed my old pivot ball with a dry film lubricant. It won't attract dust/grime like grease and it can't be forced out of high pressure areas like grease.

I used Lubribond 220 spray film.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Clutch fork is 20 bucks or less from FRPP

M-7515-A.jpg

Last edited:

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
Just a thought, but when you replaced the pivot ball did you go back with the same length. I know there are different lengths for various transmissions.

Users who are viewing this thread