Clutch connundrum.....

Dreddstang

Wing-Less Bastard!!
Established Member
I have today's stupid question for you:

The clutch in my car is stock, cable and all. As most of you probably know, the stock clutch pedal weighs about 400 lbs when you step on it. This was not a problem when I was 20, but several work injuries to my left leg and ankle have made this thing a bitch to drive.

Seriously, after driving it for an hour or so, my left leg is singin! I have a surgery for my left knee coming in the winter time (ACL disintegrated), and they are tryin to figure out my ankle now (twised & fractured in the last year on separate occasions), but in the mean time that clutch is a beast!

I have spoken with Jason about upgrading the clutch in the car anyway so I don't burn it out because of the new mods. To take care of this until then, is there any way you guys have used to get a lighter throw from the stock clutches in these cars?

04yellowcobra

Established Member
Thats the beauty of a cable clutch. Some of the mechanical advantages but you still have to release ~2400 pounds of clamping force some how.

One way you could reduce the pedal effort would be to change the pivot points on the clutch fork or increase the diameter of the quadrent. And you are not doing that without some major redesign of the body/trans, etc.

Another would be to swap to hydraulic throw out bearing release cylinder. I know there is a manufacture out there that is building kits for a large number of vehicles but I am not sure if they have one for the mustang. But then there is almost zero feedback and the clutch will feel like a honda.

If neither of the above suit you then you could put an auto in the car!

Dreddstang

Wing-Less Bastard!!
Established Member
Hmm, that is basically what I thought...I was talking to Jason about a clutch just to save this one from going out already. The problem is that everything snowballs........observe:

I'll get a SPEC3 clutch....while I am in there may as well get the imput shaft.....oh and don't forget the cable/ quadrant.....hmmm...billit flywheel too? Nah I can prolly do without that......but I should definately get a new HD TO bearing for it...main seal while you are there...what the hell, you know? Might also be a good time to get rid of the Pro 5.0 I bought and try this MGW that everyone raves about.........at least these things already come with the aluminum DS, yeah it could be improved, but not nessasary for my application......

This shit never ends, lol....I spent quite enough on the car for this year, was hoping to just enjoy what I have until the winter. I also have a house and Harley to buy stuff for, you know?

Guess the only option is just to deal with the clutch until I get around to replacing everything......I hate doing stuff half-assed, so I know I can't just do a couple of those peices....:shrug:

Dreddstang

Wing-Less Bastard!!
Established Member
Im with you on the heavy clutch diagnosis. Mine is completely stock as well and can be tiresome after a while. Not sure how to "fix" it without upgrading stuff.

Once you get to the point of upgrading...here is a good thread I have bookmarked. http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...spent-over-g-cobra-figured-i-would-share.html

Thanks for posting that. I'll have to keep that "light pedal option" in mind. Can't imagine how much more fun this car would be if I didn't have to break my leg to shift it all the time, lol....

WildFifty

Established Member
I've been reading about the mcleod clutches. The users says that the effort it takes to press the clutch is minimal compared to stock and even the spec 3. you might want to look into them too.

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
Chris, Jason put a Spec3+ on mine the last time I saw ya. Pretty much the same setup that Grimster linked, with the exception that I've got an MGW shifter. If you want to give it a test before you drop coin, holler.
I've heard good things about McLeod clutches as well, but they are expensive.

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
Of course, you can just stick with the mods that need to be done when the clutch is out. For instance, you can always do the quadrant and the shifter after the fact.

Then, if necessary, you could further consolidate the cost by prioritizing the rest of the "supporting" mods and eliminate the ones that put you over your spending threshold. I personally think the 26-spline input shaft was a MUST, and I also did the flywheel. Don't think I did the TOB, but in hindsight I probably should have. Definitely didn't do the seal, but my car only had 30K on it. Oh, and I also did the LDC cooling mod.

Bottom line, I didn't really want to pay for the clutch to come out twice!

kbrier

Established Member
Go with McLeod clutch

I have Spec 3 in my 03 and I agree it is stiff. When I tried out a the :bowdown: McLeod RST Twin Disc clutch in another Mustang a few months ago the leg effort was right around a four cylinder import clutch. I am putting one of these in my car this winter ... awesome! Kent

TRBO VNM

You can't compare a twin disc to a single disc. Totally different in every aspect and one being $$$$.

Chris, no rear seal needed unless it is leaking and it isn't a typical maintenance thing on these cars. No cable, stock cables are the best.

The extra I would recommend is the cooling mod and yes on the flywheel. You don't want to keep the stock one, even if it is resurfaced. I have some people who have done this and I warned them, the rivets end up pulling through that hold the gear on. I have some in the garage and you should hear the noises they make....horrible.

The problem is the stock clutch. Any aftermarket will lighten up the pedal feel. When you bring it down this week, remind me and you can try mine out.

kbrier

Established Member
Clutch

Hi Jason:
I did not know that about keeping the stock clutch cable and going with an after market fly wheel. Ouch; those twin disc clutches are $$$$. I am still a rookie here with lots to learn ... thanks for the information.
Kent

TRBO VNM

No problem Kent. I agree though, twin disc clutches are awesome. they hold power and have a very light pedal feel. The only problem is the price and not a lot of people want to put that much money into them. Those that do, love them for the most part.

There are some twin discs out there that can use the stock flywheel or a factory replacement style flywheel and there are other twin discs that require their flywheel designed for it.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Op, I'm guessing your mods are in your sig? You don't need a twin disc on your car. There is such a thing as too much clutch. It's not only about getting the power to the pavement. It's how it's done. A clutch that is "too much clutch" is hard on the drivetrain.

Dreddstang

Wing-Less Bastard!!
Established Member
Yeah, that's basically it in my sig with a few exceptions......and I agree about the too much clutch thing.....most of the mods I have done to my car have been in the name of longevity so far. I plan on taking this thing on some trips here and there and I don't ever wanna have any problems!:thumbsup:

05Redfire

Established Member
Another would be to swap to hydraulic throw out bearing release cylinder. I know there is a manufacture out there that is building kits for a large number of vehicles but I am not sure if they have one for the mustang. But then there is almost zero feedback and the clutch will feel like a honda

Yeah this isn't true at all. The hondas are designed to feel like that. Piston size in the slave vs piston size in the Clutch master dictate petal effort and feedback.

I have an 05 with hydraulic and I have as much feedback as you guys do. And it was designed to keep some effort so your not shoving your foot through the floor.

But if it was just a throw in kit with minimal engineering involved.. yes it would prob have no effort and feedback to the user.

jlbush

Established Member
I'll get a SPEC3 clutch....while I am in there may as well get the imput shaft.....oh and don't forget the cable/ quadrant.....hmmm...billit flywheel too? Nah I can prolly do without that......but I should definately get a new HD TO bearing for it...main seal while you are there...what the hell, you know? Might also be a good time to get rid of the Pro 5.0 I bought and try this MGW that everyone raves about.........at least these things already come with the aluminum DS, yeah it could be improved, but not nessasary for my application......

This shit never ends, lol....I spent quite enough on the car for this year, was hoping to just enjoy what I have until the winter. I also have a house and Harley to buy stuff for, you know?

Dont forget tob sleeve and ldc freeplay mod while you're there! Lol...i know how you feel man...i'll be going down the clutch road in probably about 2 months or so

Chris, Jason put a Spec3+ on mine the last time I saw ya. Pretty much the same setup that Grimster linked, with the exception that I've got an MGW shifter. If you want to give it a test before you drop coin, holler.
I've heard good things about McLeod clutches as well, but they are expensive.

I would love to be able to just push in on your spec 3+ (thats what i'm looking to get) to see how tthe pedal:burnout: feels and MAYBE just take off easy in first to feel how "aggresive" it engages if you dont mind

I dont mind the stock clutch now so i should be fine with the pedal effort, but would definitely be nice to see what it feels like before dropping a grand+ on it.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Yeah this isn't true at all. The hondas are designed to feel like that. Piston size in the slave vs piston size in the Clutch master dictate petal effort and feedback.

I have an 05 with hydraulic and I have as much feedback as you guys do. And it was designed to keep some effort so your not shoving your foot through the floor.

But if it was just a throw in kit with minimal engineering involved.. yes it would prob have no effort and feedback to the user.

Jason's statement is very true. I have driven your "05" cars and they have very little pedal effort and very little feedback. Hyd release was designed with the user in mind, they make it easier on you! Tell me how your going to feel what the pressure plate is doing when the slave cylinder is doing the work for you...?

TRBO VNM

Tim,

I would say both Jason and Ben make valid points and I think Jason was just being sarcastic with some of his response.

Of course hydraulic will have little pedal effort compared to our cable setups, but even in my bmw that is hydraulic, I have a decent amount of feedback. It definitely takes some getting used to going between the cobra and bmw, but just because the bmw is hydraulic doesn't mean I can't tell what is going on because of a lighter pedal feel.

And Chris, there is a company making a hydraulic setup for mustangs. I don't know anyone who has it, but there was a thread in the terminator talk forum about it and a link to the company.

Users who are viewing this thread