Clutch Cable Snapped-Quadrant Alignment Problem

03_Sonic Blur

Wanna Talk? PM Me
Established Member
Ok, on the way to work today, I pushed in the clutch while slowing for the left turn onto the freeway. Heard a funny clunk clink sound, pedal felt weird, and when ilet up, didn't come up all the way. Got down the road the 7 miles to work and in the parking lot and tooka look. Frayed cable hanging by a few very stretched out strands. Roadside assistance hauled it to the dealer, and a new cable was installed. Didn't think I'd get to pick up a cable and get home on what was left.

The culprit appears to be the alignment of the quadrant to the cable exit from the firewall. I'll shim it tomorrow to make sure they are lined up properly. The cable looks like it was popping over the edge of the groove in the quadrant every time I released the clutch pedal, and getting hauled over the lip when I stepped on the pedal. This seems to have sawed on the cable some.

Live and learn....

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's the stock quadrant, right? Glad you didn't end up getting stranded and everything is back to normal.

03_Sonic Blur

Wanna Talk? PM Me
Established Member
I've looked at every set of instructions from every manufacturer I could find (6 or 7) and none address this issue. Don't hate on UPR. Steeda, Granatelli and Maximum Motorsports to name a few don't mention it.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
My Steeda quadrant did that on my 95 Cobra. The problem is the quadrant moves freely on that pin and what happens is it will not stay in alignment with the clutch cable and thus the cable will wear against the sides of the groove on the quadrant. About 3 years after I installed it at first my clutch started acting up and would not completely disengage after the transmission was hot. So I readjusted the cable, but never took a look at the quadrant. Then about a month later I was working a really late night and didn't leave my customers location until about 2:00 am and was extremely luckily that the streets were empty. I was at a stoplight with the car in 1st and the clutch disengaged and all of a sudden the clutch engaged and the car took off. My first reaction was too slammed on the brake and stalled the car out and didn't know what happened. I quickly realized the clutch was gone. So I started the car in 1st and drove it to the nearest parking lot to see what happened. After stopping the car I got out to take a look at the quadrant first and found part of the cable that had snapped of in the foot well. Since it was really late and I was not about to leave my car in downtown Fort Lauderdale overnight I had to drive home 20 miles with no clutch, I think every light was red the whole way home so needless to say I was not in a good mood by that time. After talking the quadrant out I realized that it had been wearing against the cable for some time and the cable finally just snapped. This could have had disastrous consequences and I was extremely lucky it happened when it did.

I actually just ordered Maximum Motorsports new quadrant yesterday and will see how it works. You should be able to just get some large washers and fix it that way.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Thats one problem I noticed as well, the quadrant doesnt have anything to keep it in line with hole in firewall. Im going to get a peice of PVC conduit and cut to length and slid on shaft to use as a spacer.

03_Sonic Blur

Wanna Talk? PM Me
Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
John, was it the install that caused the cable to get screwed up?

Sorry to hear that.

I'm not blaming anybody but the manufacturers of these parts. All of them, and I mean ALL of them forget to include that little factoid in their instructions. I downloaded and looked over the instructions from no less than 6 companies who make this part for our cars. Every one of them neglect to tell you to check the alignment, as the cable can ride up out of the groove when the clutch pedal is up, and catches on the edge when you depress the pedal.

I thought I'd share this little tidbit so others could save some grief.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Get an assortment of 1/2" washers (different thicknesses). ALL of the aftermarket quadrants I've seen are like that. I agree that it sucks.

03_Sonic Blur

Wanna Talk? PM Me
Established Member
One of the things I do in my job is write technical instructions. It takes a little practice and the right mindset, but it can be done.

I think overlooking the disassembly of the stock adjuster is forgivable, the manufacturer assumes you know what to do to get it off. Missing details that have a major affect on the longevity of the cable shouldn't have been overlooked.

BTW, Forte's online instructions don't mention a shim. Do the instructions that ship with the unit mention it?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
There's only one mounting hole on that Forte, but 2 posts under the dash. How do you keep that Forte from rotating independently of the clutch pedal?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
Broad generalizations usually are.

See the white piece? Forte ships a shim. Too bad the adjuster doesn't lock (although I think they'll send a locking ring now) and they only have one hook to choose from.

Really, it's extremely difficult to write an easily followed description of how to install a quad and adjuster. If you think it's not, try it :)
That shime doesnt look nearly fat enough to take up the space I have. As for directions, a picture is worth a thousand words, they likely have a technical drawing, how hard would it be to add the shafts to it, perhaps rotate it to you get a couple views etc? Its called lazyness/greedyness and they simply dont want to spend any money on it because THEY dont see any profit from it.

Users who are viewing this thread