Clutch cable loose after Spec 3+ Install

CobradaCableGuy

Established Member
I just installed a Spec 3 + clutch today but have shit loads of slack on the clutch cable. I tried this method to adjust the play on the clutch cable. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/389553-how-adjust-clutch-cable.html
I am running the stock cable set up and broke the stock quadrant hook so that I could adjust the clutch a little more. The big problem is as soon as I press on the clutch pedal it starts making this freaking noise as if the tranny is hiting the bare clutch fork big grinding sound like metal with metal WTF? This has never happened to me before. I had to release the tension on the clutch pedal.There is no grinding sound now but the clutch pedal is all loose and sometimes adjusting by itself since we have self adjusting mechanisim. If I relase the clutch too fast or hard the bitch will auto/self adjust and will bring back the grinding sound. I had to remove the big spring on the stock quadrant just to bring my car home. On the first gear I have to ride the clutch a bit just so I don't get that bucking feeling all the other gears come in great. Before the clutch replacement I gotta admit eveything was great clutch pedal adjustment, play and pressure. Now what I am stuck anyone out there know whats going on. :shrug: :beer:

Last edited:

futureSVT

Established Member
I just installed my spec 2+ and when i reinstalled the cable, it was too tight and riding the pressure plate. so i bought a firewall adjuster and triple hook quad. and this allowed me to adjust it just right. you may want to try this so you can dial in your adjustment.

CobradaCableGuy

Established Member
I just installed my spec 2+ and when i reinstalled the cable, it was too tight and riding the pressure plate. so i bought a firewall adjuster and triple hook quad. and this allowed me to adjust it just right. you may want to try this so you can dial in your adjustment.

That's what I am thinking mind posting up where you bought your stuff.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
dude!! I installed a spec 3+ and tried replacing cable to adjustable then to OEM..both are too long! I made a spacer nut for the cable to help it out, but my clutch pedal vibrates now and im on my 3rd TOB (cluth has less than 1k miles).

No idea why the pedal vibrates, but my next thought is that perhaps the clutch disc is out of balance. I have no ideas.

I guess the point of my post is to say that the Spec 3+ must either be coming with some issues lately or be a PITA to get right. I have noticed a handfull of ppl having a tricky time making them all right. I am so tired of messing with mine that im just about to say F it and deal with the pedal vibrating till the clutch goes out.

ttk53

Established Member
dude!! I installed a spec 3+ and tried replacing cable to adjustable then to OEM..both are too long! I made a spacer nut for the cable to help it out, but my clutch pedal vibrates now and im on my 3rd TOB (cluth has less than 1k miles).

No idea why the pedal vibrates, but my next thought is that perhaps the clutch disc is out of balance. I have no ideas.

I guess the point of my post is to say that the Spec 3+ must either be coming with some issues lately or be a PITA to get right. I have noticed a handfull of ppl having a tricky time making them all right. I am so tired of messing with mine that im just about to say F it and deal with the pedal vibrating till the clutch goes out.

Had this problem with mine. It was because the TOB was always touching the PP. try to adjust it the cable just get loose. Problem was the OEM Pivot ball was too long. got and adjustable one made it shorter problem solved.

ttk53

Established Member
seriously? Im only questioning things cause i jsut dont think the clutch will ever be right!! LOL

soooo is this the one?
Lakewood Adjustable Clutch Fork Pivot Ball-Ford [LW-15502] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

Edit - Sorry Cobrada, not trying to steal your thread, but perhaps this might work for you as well?

yep thats the one.

just jack the car up and remove the inspection cover and see where the TOB is, start the car and see if it spins. If you cant get it off the PP you need a shorter pivot ball.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
yep thats the one.

just jack the car up and remove the inspection cover and see where the TOB is, start the car and see if it spins. If you cant get it off the PP you need a shorter pivot ball.

How far off of the PP should it sit? I already saw that it sits against the Pressure Plate...

ttk53

Established Member
How far off of the PP should it sit? I already saw that it sits against the Pressure Plate...

people say like an 1/8 but it just needs to clear. Once I put the shorter pivot ball in. I adjusted the clutch till it hit them backed it off till it didnt spin.

my setup

Spec 3+ with light pedal
Steel Flywheel
Ford TOB

ttk53

Established Member
I would get a new clutch fork while your at it. Mine was a little sloppy and it only like 20 bucks.

CobradaCableGuy

Established Member
Wow well I just bought the car around 6 months ago and the clutch went out on me already with just 5K miles of use. When I removed the tranny the clutch was stuck to the flywheel(don't ask why) I saw that the car already had a Spec 3+ on it running the stock quadrant and stock cable. Huh....

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
this is pretty much a must with an aftermarket clutch.

+1 HIGHLY recommended with any aftermarket clutch setup. alot of them even say it in their instructions.

i learned this the hard way. i ran stock quadrant for a year with a dfx clutch.

then, going from the stock setup to a firewall adjuster made a night and day difference in overall driveability and vehicle performance. it was the best mod i have made to my car yet!

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
+1 HIGHLY recommended with any aftermarket clutch setup. alot of them even say it in their instructions.

i learned this the hard way. i ran stock quadrant for a year with a dfx clutch.

then, going from the stock setup to a firewall adjuster made a night and day difference in overall driveability and vehicle performance. it was the best mod i have made to my car yet!

Couldn't agree more...I have a UPR Triple hook from Lethalperformance as well as a Fiore Microclick clutch cable adjuster. This is a winning combo.
I feel your pain as my TOB went bad 2 days after the install...It's very important to adjust the clutch properly. I suggest you let someone that knows these cars well or installs many clutches to play around with it...

Users who are viewing this thread