Clutch Adjustment (Quadrant Gear)

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
This is probably not new to most of you, but for the few, it might be of use. My pedal started grabbing right at the floor recently. It's only got 22K on the clock, but it's been open tracked at the Glen several times. I'm hoping it's not the clutch in need of replacement. Anyways, as a quick fix I popped a couple teeth on the quadrant gear and now it's grabbing almost in the middle of the pedal travel. There's a tech article on Corral.net on doing this. Clutch Adjustment The easiest is to push down the pedal a little, hold the quadrant gear with your thumb and let go of the clutch. Once you locate the quadrant gear by feel, it's 2 second procedure. Hope this helps someone.

Edit: It was the '89 I did the adjustment on, not the R in my avatar. I'm guessing the SN95s are the same though.

Last edited:

WillyB93

Established Member
I would say the original is getting wore out since they used plastic parts for the adjuster, you may have to upgrade to an aftermarket setup and firewall adjuster!!!!

WillyB93

Established Member
I would say the original is getting wore out since they are plastic, you may have to upgrade to aftermarket setup and a firewall adjuster also to make it even better!!!

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
I would say the original is getting wore out since they are plastic, you may have to upgrade to aftermarket setup and a firewall adjuster also to make it even better!!!

Anywhere you could direct me to these parts? I haven't been keeping up to date on Foxes. I know a buddy of mine put in an adjuster, just don't know if he replaced the quadrant gear, or did what you mentioned on the firewall. If it means replacing the quadrant gear, I'll wait till it breaks. I'm not looking forward to doing a dash removal :eek:

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
Clutch Cable, Quadrant, and Firewall Adjuster Package [MMCP-51] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

Thats the kit I bought and the only one I considered putting under my vehicle. MM makes some good stuff.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm thinking I'm going to have to do that sooner than later. Do you need a Filipino contortionist (a Manila folder) to install it from underneath? I don't want to rip the dash out.

I got Pony wheels on mine too. Not for long though, next week, I'm lowering it 1.2", putting on 17" R wheels, Baer brakes, 235/45 Nitto 555s up front and 275/40s in the rear.

WillyB93

Established Member
Well I've never done the replacement of these of the parts but a few friends of mine have and say you can do it without taking the dash out. If you do take the dash out you may think about a new heater core while you have it apart since the car is an 89!!!

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
Well I've never done the replacement of these of the parts but a few friends of mine have and say you can do it without taking the dash out. If you do take the dash out you may think about a new heater core while you have it apart since the car is an 89!!!

That's funny... a buddy of mine did the clutch quadrant while he had the dash out to replace the heater core. I'm just going to take the seat out. Thanks for the tip though.

WillyB93

Established Member
Yea good luck with the repair it helps out a bunch my red cobra has it on it, makes adjustment much easier!!!!

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
I'd reccommend taking the seat out. I did myn without it, but I'm not that big so I could barely squeeze in there. Be prepared to drop a few cuss words though, that was one of the most PITA jobs I've done. It wasn't overly difficult or time consuming, but it liked to put up a fight. You may have to break the old one off (I had to.)

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
Thanks Willy. Red, I was already planning on taking out the seat... my physic calls for it ;-) There's a couple good articles on Corral.net and in Fast Mustangs and Fords about it. One mentioned breaking the old quadrant too. Guess they know about the frustration factor. I plan on taking a couple valiums and playing some easy listening music when I do it! Thanks for the tips.

Users who are viewing this thread