Clunking or knocking noise from underneath?

Mike_Cobra03

Established Member
I knoticed on my car tonite when i stoped and opened the door that their was a clunking, rattling type noise coming from underneath the car, right around the bell housing.

So i got back in the car push in the clutch and the noise goes away.

The car has a aluminum fly wheel and lethal performance throw out bearing in it also.....car has been acting funny going into gear at a dead stop also somtimes. Could somthing be loose in the bell housing making this noise then going away when the clutch is engaged ??

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I knoticed on my car tonite when i stoped and opened the door that their was a clunking, rattling type noise coming from underneath the car, right around the bell housing.

So i got back in the car push in the clutch and the noise goes away.

The car has a aluminum fly wheel and lethal performance throw out bearing in it also.....car has been acting funny going into gear at a dead stop also somtimes. Could somthing be loose in the bell housing making this noise then going away when the clutch is engaged ??

Sounds like a cracked TOB retainer sleeve. It's a common issue.

Mike_Cobra03

Established Member
I thought when a throw out bearing went out it chirped like a cricket? My sound, sounds kinda like rocks or somthing metal loose knocking around in there. I just picked the car up 2 months ago, so i didnt install the throw out bearing, clutch, or flywheel, but it had a parts list on it.

Do i need to just pull the trasmission and see whats going on in there ? anymore ideals would be great.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I thought when a throw out bearing went out it chirped like a cricket? My sound, sounds kinda like rocks or somthing metal loose knocking around in there. I just picked the car up 2 months ago, so i didnt install the throw out bearing, clutch, or flywheel, but it had a parts list on it.

Do i need to just pull the trasmission and see whats going on in there ? anymore ideals would be great.

the bearing itself will chirp but can also make a grinding noise. The sleeve will sound like rocks tumbling around. You'll just need to pull the trans and replace.

Mike_Cobra03

Established Member
I found it so never mind on that last post.....what will the sleeve look like when i pull the trans if its messed up...whats the signs that i will know.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I found it so never mind on that last post.....what will the sleeve look like when i pull the trans if its messed up...whats the signs that i will know.

yeah I'm pretty sure you can get it all as one part from Lethal. Give Jared a call and he will get you taken care of.

More than likely the sleeve will be cracked or in several pieces. You'll know if it is messed up.

Mike_Cobra03

Established Member
yeah its the throw out bearing and the sleeve has to have a problem, cause i just got in it, let it idle for a minute it was quit reved the motor....then it started making its noise of like a little chirp and rattle i barely touched the clutch and it went away. then it was just at idle and it made like a BIG rattle and grind like it was trying to engage in gear. so somthing not right in there.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
yeah its the throw out bearing and the sleeve has to have a problem, cause i just got in it, let it idle for a minute it was quit reved the motor....then it started making its noise of like a little chirp and rattle i barely touched the clutch and it went away. then it was just at idle and it made like a BIG rattle and grind like it was trying to engage in gear. so somthing not right in there.

yep it sounds like it is time for a new one.

zinc

Established Member
Exact same thing I had happen it was the tob sleeve broken in two i got the forged unit from lethal and its fine now. Open the inspection cover and move the clutch fork around you will see the tob sleeve flopping around sounds like having gravel in the transmission bell housing

Mike_Cobra03

Established Member
Thats what mine sounds like.....i took it out today and ran it hard and when it warmed up it sounded like a rock just going back in forth in there and i was sittin at a dead stop and it was like somthing hung up in there and thuded real bad and jerked...so my guess is the retainer sleeve is broke and just hung up in there. what do you think ? about the same thing with yours ?

Users who are viewing this thread