Clunk noise in rear end area

mbsvt

My Hot Rod's
Established Member
So Im looking to buy this 03 cobra 80,139 miles
Looks a little rough,but on the test drive, on take off
and on and off the gas and when shifting gears, there is a lot of clunking noise coming from the rear end area.
Humm.....
Any help with this. :shrug: Not normal for sure, but owner was told
all cobras have this issue.
Back lash in rear? IRS busings? Trans?
TKS
MB

icyrolly

icyrolly 03 cobra
Established Member
mine has same miles and does the same...im awaiting answers my self

perry2k12

Established Member
My car does it and the diff bushings are shot. Replacing them this winter because it's more than likely the problem

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
As explained in the FTBR FAQs, it could be the rear differential support bushing or the front subframe mounting bolts. And there are solutions to resolve that IF either of those are the issue. It might also be normal play in the drivetrain. .. Clunk Issue

candy3369

Established Member
I have this too and it is so annoying. If I baby the car changing gears and give it the perfect amount of gas, I can drive it without doing it.

My dad teaches mechanics at the college and those guys are fixing to do rear ends....he says, "Candy you should let me drive it up there and we can fix it" I'm thinking I don't know about letting college kids learning rear ends even look at my car!!!

Last edited:

Blueline

Established Member
There are so many reasons for a clunk in the drivetrain. I re-did my entire rear 40 miles after I bought my car. I did all new gears, bearing etc.... Make sure you check your -U- joints too along with bushings etc. After I finished my rebuild I have absolutely NO play in my drivetrain. When I shift gears or start from a stop its smooth as butter. As far as bushings, I have poly bushings throughout the entire rear, these were installed by the previous owner. When I put my car on the lift, I could spin my driveshaft about 1/4 -1/2 turn before the pinion started moving the ring gear. My rear was completely shot, not saying thats your problem, but get under there and start looking at things. Good luck!

Last edited:

candy3369

Established Member
Just called my uncle who is a Ford mechanic, owns a 70 Mustang 351 Stroker that he did a complete rotisserie on, he said bring it to him and he will fix it for me. I will let him look at it before I buy any parts. Lucky for me my whole family is in cars because I see this getting expensive at the Ford dealership!

Mystic03

Established Member
be sure the rear irs bracket is snugged they tend to shake loose and definetly will be obnoxious when taking off loud clunking

keith89

Established Member
On top of the bushings, it could be the backlash has loosened up. The IRS pinion depth needs to be set up with a solid spacer instead of a crush sleeve. I believe this is the issue I'm having now. When I had my 3.73's installed, it was fine, but a few months later i started getting a clunk and i noticed i could move my driveshaft a good amount without the axles turning. I've been driving around the issue right now but I'll have to drop the diff again eventually and will probably go with 3.27's and have the pinion set up with a solid spacer.

keith89

Established Member
Keith who does your rears? I have a great guy in northern NJ.

I'm actually looking for someone to do it or try it myself. They were done a few years ago when Travis and Frank were at Difeo Ford. I was told it is normal but I'd rather have it checked again since it was fine for a few months. There's a good 10-15 degrees of play in the driveshaft without the axles moving. In stop and go traffic, the driveshaft will just bounce back and forth if i'm not careful with the clutch. It's pretty annoying.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread